Is it cheating to switch characters in coop?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Chazar

Is it cheating to switch characters in coop?

Postby Chazar » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:31 pm

After trying the Trine2-Demo, we've decided to start in the beginning by playing Trine first. However, after few minutes of play we got stuck: the thief could easily surpass the obstacle with the grappling hook, but we saw no way to pass the obstacle with the knight nor the wizard. So Player1 passed the obstacle as thief, we then switched characters, and Player2 passed the obstacle with the thief yet again in the same manner. This felt bland and like a cheat. So here is my true question:

Is it possible for all characters to pass all obstacles themselves?
(Of course, sharing the abilities is always okay, such as the knight stepping on a wizard's box, for example.)

I've read that is possible to play Trine2 with 3 players without ever switching characters. However, I think I also read that CoOp-play was added to Trine only in the enchanted edition. So maybe the levels in Trine were designed with switching being a necessity in coop-play then?

Of course, I am well aware that it is better to pass an obstacle with a mild cheat than getting frustrated at being stuck - I just wanna know whether it is at all worth searching for an alternative solution in the first place. I am fine with hard puzzles, but don't like trying to solve impossible puzzles in vain for my entertainment. :wink:

MarjutFB

Re: Is it cheating to switch characters in coop?

Postby MarjutFB » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:41 pm

Sorry for the long delay! There has been a lot of messages to go through.

I wouldn't count what you did as cheating, but most likely there are alternative ways to pass that puzzle. :) Some of the later levels have harder puzzles where switching might be necessary, but I'm pretty sure our QA has at least been soloing the first levels with just one character.

If you want information about a specific puzzle please take a picture of it and I can look into it. You can link the picture here or send it to us at Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com.

I hope you're having fun with the game. Cheers! :)

Chazar

Re: Is it cheating to switch characters in coop?

Postby Chazar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks for the reply! Good to know that it should be possible to avoid switching at least in the earlier levels, so it is worth searching for a solution then. :)

However, since my post, we happened to overcome all obstacles without such switching. 8) I guess we're getting the hang of it now. Great fun! Thanks!

Return to “Trine”