Please help me with Trine

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
aidamei

Please help me with Trine

Postby aidamei » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 am

Hi I need help

I'm not sure how you can help me but I've got to try.

I'm playing Trine.

I'm playing on Easy.

I've enjoyed the game up to this point.

Now,though,the chapter I'm in has become exasperatingly difficult.

It has completely lost the "fun" element.

The reason being simply because I can't do the acrobatic-gymnast moves required

All I can do is repeat the chapter over and over and over and I'm not getting any better at it on the 100'th try.

I have studied the chapter on the You Tube Walkthroughs.

This hasn't helped me with this chapter at all.

So,I need your help

It seems such a waste to abandon a game this far into it because I can't do the acrobatic moves required

Please help me

The chapter I am on is:

Throne of the Lost King

[email protected]

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Please help me with Trine

Postby fb_joel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear. I agree that the level is one of the more difficult ones (the other difficult level is the second-to-last level).

Perhaps it helps if you skip the level? To do that, download a savegame from
http://trine-thegame.com/help/savegames/ (the 09_Fangle_Forest is the next level)

Once downloaded, go to the Trine game folder, then to profiles\default\save folder, and extract the file there. It should create a save_slot_3.dhs file. Then start the game and go to the Select level menu, and choose the "Change saveslot" option, and choose the third saveslot. After this you should see the next level in the Select level menu.

I hope this helps.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Is that the level with all the spinning gears/cogs near the end and the spikes under the cogs? If so, that one did drive me up the wall the first handful of tries.

If you've managed to get the wizard upgrades for box and planks, I found I could make walkways over most of it, rather than rely on acrobatics. Sometimes it's easier to use boxes to stop the cogs rather than try to jump at the right time.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 pm

I'll make a guide for this level in the coming hours for you.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Okay!

I screenshotted the puzzley parts that you'll run into with a good and effective way of passing all of them.

These are pretty easy to jump across, but if you need a little extra time, you can spawn a bridge over them as a Wizard, and it'll fall and make them harder to spin.

Here, you're going to want to place a box down on the floor switch (as shown), so the spikes fall down.

When you get here, build a box, then jump up onto the platform. You can then switch to Zoya (Thief), and it'll be an easy grapple up to the highest platform shown.

Get up there, jump across:

Spawn another box and levitate each of the little bridges up top onto each other (to the right), and jump up and follow them for some easy experience.

The next part you should come across will be here: Image

Fight your way down through the enemies, and place a box on the switch. Then climb your way back up.

You can do something like this if you're having trouble getting up: Image

When you're up, switch to Zoya and aim above the big red window(?), like so:

It'll be an easy swing across until you get to here: Image

Take the bottom path, don't even bother trying to jump across each plank. Build yourself 2 boxes, and get on top of them. Wait for the big cutty cleavery bladey choppy thingy to swing by, then jump up and get yourself some nice treasure.

Jump across from there when ready, and you'll be here:

If no enemies spawn, place a box onto the switch in the middle of the platform you're standing on. Switch to knight quickly, and put up your shield while looking down, so any spikes that get near you don't hit you. Make yourself comfortable, and levitate each of the spikes away from you.

The next part you come across should be here:Image

It's an easy grapple across if you use the top boards. You'll land here: Image

Grapple onto the platform shown, and pull yourself up and get on top of it. You should be here next: Image

Build yourself 2 boxes and get on top of the platform that's being levitated (you can levitate it if you need to). Carefully jump across the platforms along the top until you reach this:

Switch to Pontius (the Knight), and always have your shield raised. Jump across the gears, while blocking any of the large spikey bally thingies flying at you. Try to clear it quickly, even if enemies spawn.

When you're across, make sure to keep your shield raised, as a swarm of bats will come from the ceiling, as shown

Stand onto the wooden part and you'll be taken down.

For the last puzzle of the level, you can use boxes and planks to stop the gears from moving, so you can quickly and safely walk across them, as shown:

And you're done!

Hope it helps, and if you have any further problems, feel free to ask, as there are multiple solutions to every puzzle.

(Completed on Very Hard difficulty)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Really nice work with the puzzle guide :D

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:11 am

FB_Lauri wrote:Really nice work with the puzzle guide :D

Just doing my get-everyone-to-like-Trine duty!

aidamei

Postby aidamei » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 am

My wizard character can create two planks simultaneously. He cannot,however, build two boxes simultaneously. I would like to know if this action is critical for this chapter? If it is then obviously I've got deeeep troubles herewith.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:47 am

aidamei wrote:My wizard character can create two planks simultaneously. He cannot,however, build two boxes simultaneously. I would like to know if this action is critical for this chapter? If it is then obviously I've got deeeep troubles herewith.

Which part are you having trouble with?

aidamei

Postby aidamei » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:25 am

Well I must tell you...

I'm a firm believer in a simple philosophy.

If something says easy then that is what it is supposed to be.

There is nothing easy about Trine.

It doesn't even fit into moderately easy category.

And to me thats not fair.

I played on easy

I wanted to be able to complete the game and I can't

I just can't

It is too incredibly difficult.

I have loaded the save game provided herewith of the last chapter Tower of Sarek

I can't do it (after countless tries over and over)

If I had been able to SAVE at any point and continue my game my incentive would REALLY have boosted

To have to repeat an entire chapter,however, over and over from the beginning because my characters die is a 100% morale destroyer.

Is there anyone who would be able to send me a video of the finale video so I can at least see the ending that I will never achieve? *sigh* how depressing

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Trine IS a very easy game though :/

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:20 pm

ZachCraft, wow, that's a nice guide. :)

Admittedly the difficulty levels in Trine don't really make much of a difference in terms of the puzzles - it mostly affects the enemies etc.

The save system is another issue - some of the levels are long/difficult so it would have helped if there was a proper system, but unfortunately we had some technical limitations that prevented that. :(

aidamei, perhaps you could go to an earlier level and collect a bit more of the green experience vials, and upgrade the Wizard and the other charactes with more abilities, and then tackle this level? That could help a lot. The game gives you new skill points for every 50 experience vials (if I remember right), and you can view the amount in the Inventory menu (press 'i' on the keyboard). So if you are close to 50, then it could be reasonably easy to collect the remaining amount from the earlier levels.

If you wish to see the final video, open the ingame consoel with the F8 key and write this:

openCinematicScreen bossarea_outro_cine

it's case sensitive. Alternatively you could copy the line above and put it in the config\console_history.txt, and then open the console with the F8 key ingame and press the up arrow to show the command.

I am sorry to hear that the game has not been enjoyable to you - I'll PM you with some further stuff.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine”