Possible bug with the knight?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
thenewguy

Possible bug with the knight?

Postby thenewguy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:26 am

Hi all. I think I've found a bug with the knight character and I'm wondering if there is a way to correct the situation I ran into, or if it's there by design.

Possible Spoiler Alert

I've got the knight leveled up so he has the top-level war hammer and top-level sword. So the hammer spits lightning and the sword is surrounded in flame. At one point I was in a pack of skeleton enemies and rapidly changing between using the hammer to smash enemies and the sword/shield combo to block. Part way through the fight the flame around the sword disappeared. Despite changing between the sword/shield and hammer a few more times, the knight's sword did not regain its flaming aura. Since then the damage the sword does to enemies has been reduces back to what it was at the beginning of the game.

Is there a line I can change in the save game file to return the knight's sword to full power? Is this a bug or is it possible for the knight to lose his power by design?

I'm running Trine on Linux, 32-bit.

ZachCraft

Re: Possible bug with the knight?

Postby ZachCraft » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Have you tried restarting the level to see if that fixes the problem?

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:14 am

I found after I quit the game and started the next level the knight's sword returned to its normal status. Yay!

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 pm

thenewguy wrote:I found after I quit the game and started the next level the knight's sword returned to its normal status. Yay!

That's great!

What a weird bug though. I could understand some sort of error with the fire not showing up, but the damage actually being reduced?

Totally bonkers.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the game!

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:14 am

I do. It has quickly become one of my favourites. I love the flexibility the three different characters give for puzzle solving. The developers/artists/designers really did a great job.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:27 am

You should be extra excited for Trine 2 then :D

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:42 pm

ZachCraft wrote:You should be extra excited for Trine 2 then :D

I am, though I admit to being a little concerned about the hardware requirements. My modest video card struggles on Trine if I go above "medium" graphics quality. It looks like Trine 2 will have more advanced graphics. I'm hopeful my machine will be able to run it. Assuming I can get it working, I'll definitely be buying the Linux version of Trine 2.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:09 am

thenewguy wrote:
ZachCraft wrote:You should be extra excited for Trine 2 then :D

I am, though I admit to being a little concerned about the hardware requirements. My modest video card struggles on Trine if I go above "medium" graphics quality. It looks like Trine 2 will have more advanced graphics. I'm hopeful my machine will be able to run it. Assuming I can get it working, I'll definitely be buying the Linux version of Trine 2.

Good news!

Yes, in fact the engine is completely re-written for Trine 2

So the looks, physics, etc. are now a lot better with close to similar hardware requirements as Trine 1 had.

-FB Lauri

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Yeah hopefully we'll achieve similar kind of performance despite better-looking graphics. But no promises yet. :)

The bug here is a weird one - I think it's probably one of those "once in a lifetime" bugs, really, so we're not going to look into it too closely. Thanks for reporting it though, I'll add it to my pile of weird bugs. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine”