Levitating Amadeus

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Lyril

Levitating Amadeus

Postby Lyril » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 am

We only discovered Trine two months ago, and since then 3 generations in the family have become seriously addicted (kids 7 & 9, mother and aunt (40 & 42) and grandmother (71). Terrific fun - we share ideas and solutions while competing for a go. The kids have finished it twice, including the bonus level, the older ones not yet. It is such a beautiful game to look at and to listen to. We're eagerly awaiting Trine 2

One lasting problem: we can't get the wizard to balance while trying to make him levitate. It doesn't seem to matter whether he is on two planks, a box and plank or the floating platform, he always gets tipped off. We've watched Youtube clips where clever players have him sailing mid-air over all sorts of perils, but we can't get him off the ground for more than a few seconds. Then he falls.

Has anyone any tips about improving poor Amadeus's flying skills?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Levitating Amadeus

Postby fb_joel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Wow, that is awesome to hear. :)

As for the levitating skill, what you see in the videos is more of a glitch than a feature... A few tips though:

- use the same-sized planks
- use the left and right keys (A and D default) to rotate the plank a bit and keep it in balance

The A/D rotate is never explained in the game I think, and it's somewhat subtle, but it does work.

I found a great tutorial vid on YouTube for this. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Lyril

Postby Lyril » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 am

Thank you so much! I don't understand why it's a glitch rather than a feature though, it really separates good players from pretty average ones, like us.
That clip is fantastic. We'd never thought of getting him to 'fly' underwater, - it seems odd but pretty good. And this clip shows him on only one plank after he tips the box off. I didn't think he could do that.
Lots of food for thought and practice here. Thanks. :D

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:05 am

I'm terrible at the flying thing too. But I find I usually don't need it. What works really well for me is creating a floating block near where I want to go. Then I switch to the thief and grapple onto the block, swing up onto it and then jump to my destination. It has the benefits of flying with the required coordination.

Return to “Trine”