Trine demo works fine, but not the full version

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
orastem

Trine demo works fine, but not the full version

Postby orastem » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Hello,

I've recently purchased a full version of Trine from Desura (horrible experience btw) and I can't play. The menu and loading screens display just fine, but in the actual game, all I can see is a blue screen, the avatar of the character (the Thief in this case) and her health bar. Oh, and in the first few seconds I can see something like a small cloud or maybe a water splashing at the bottom of a waterfall. When I e.g. right click I can hear the harpoon shooting. What's weird is that the demo works perfectly, but I've finished it twice and I want the full game! :)
I'm sporting an Nvidia FX880M with the latest drivers on Windows 7 (with DirectX 11). I've seen comments, that a similar card (FX600 series I believe) is "not up to the task", but this one clearly is, since the demo has no problems. Could you offer some advice on this?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Trine demo works fine, but not the full version

Postby fb_joel » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Sorry to hear. Sounds very strange...

Have you tried lowering all the graphics details? Perhaps one of the effects throws it off. You can also copy the config/options.txt file from the demo and put it in the full game's folder, and see if that helps.

You can also download this and see if that helps (an earlier version with different shaders).

Let me know. Very curious to see how this goes...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

orastem

Postby orastem » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:56 pm

I tried lowering all the details available from the launcher. When that didn't help, I started turning off graphical features in the options.txt file. Then I used the default_game_settings.txt (if I remember correctly) - now there was hardly anything visible at all, but the blue screen persisted. Thanks for the old shaders, but that didn't help either. I noticed that the demo was in version 1.03, maybe having the full game at that version would help. I was now able to return the game, so I won't be able to test anything else. Rest assured, I'll get it again when I change my machine :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Ah ok. I have no idea why this would happen - I'm sure it's a problem that can be solved one way or another but might require a lot of tries. The FX880M is so rare that we haven't heard of this before. So I think we'll just give it a rest for now. If you encounter any problems with the new computer just let me know and we'll sort that out though. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:31 pm

This sounds exactly like what we saw on the Linux version with certain broken drivers. Do you have the latest drivers installed?

If you REALLY want to know I can describe the bug, its cause and how it relates to this situation but it's rather long and technical.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Return to “Trine”