Question for the developers

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
bambuzzle

Question for the developers

Postby bambuzzle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Were you inspired by Blizzard's The Lost Vikings when designing this game? By the way, Trine is dangerously addictive.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Question for the developers

Postby fb_joel » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Heh, perhaps a little bit in spirit. The original Trine concept had a bit more in common with some oldschool games (going back to the MSX era). You can read a bit more about the game's development in our Postmortem on Gamasutra. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Elvick

Postby Elvick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:46 pm

fb_joel wrote:Heh, perhaps a little bit in spirit. The original Trine concept had a bit more in common with some oldschool games (going back to the MSX era). You can read a bit more about the game's development in our Postmortem on Gamasutra. :)

I had no idea. D: Almost cried reading it. xP

For what it's worth, overall, I love the last level. Going through trying to get the last achievement on Steam today really made me realize how many different ways there are to get up there. Even if it can be frustrating, when the rest of the game is rather laid back and forgiving. (since you can resume from the last checkpoint with little penalty)

I feel bad now that I think of how impatient I was for Trine to release on PSN. I'm just glad that everything worked out in the end, even if there are things that you could have done better or wanted to do but couldn't. The game is still fantastic and still one of (if not the) best downloadable titles this generation. It's behind Flower, and probably Journey based on how much I loved that beta but it's definitely at least #3 best PSN title for me.

Buying the crap out of Trine 2 (PSN, XBLA and PC/Mac) and telling everyone I know who plays games to check it out too.

I love you guys more now, than ever.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 am

Heh, thanks. :) We're hoping for a much smoother Trine 2 launch this time...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine”