Refresh rate override not working for me

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Sk1280

Refresh rate override not working for me

Postby Sk1280 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:31 am

My monitor is set to 72Hz. I did the "refresh_rate_override = 72" in the options.txt under display and made it read only. When I play the game, fraps or even Trines own "/show_fps 1" option shows the game running at 66fps. I even tried the other method of overriding the refresh rate by making a shortcut of trine.exe and adding "-refresh_rate_override = 72" after trine.exe and still nothing changed.

I updated to the latest patch. I reinstalled trine and tried again. Then I reinstalled the latest patch and tried again and still nothing works.

I even disabled v-sync and still nothing went above 66fps. Even tried override to 100Hz with v-sync off and it stays at 66fps.

All my other games show 72 fps with my monitor set to 72Hz.

I even lowered all the graphics (removed read only for options.txt then reapplied it) just to make sure my 9800gt was able to do over 66fps for trine and still with all the details on low it does not go above 66 fps.

I ordered a 120hz monitor and I want to be able to get this to work on my current monitor so that I have no problems applying it to the new one when it arrives.

Can anyone please tell me what's going on?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Refresh rate override not working for me

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Ah. 66 is caused by the game's framerate maximum limiter which is by default set at 66.

So hopefully this will get solved by simply doing this in the console:

/show_fps 1
/render_max_fps 0

Let me know...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Sk1280

Postby Sk1280 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:17 am

Yes it does work.
I added "render_max_fps = 0" in the options.txt file so that it applies automatically everytime.

Thank you very much.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Ah indeed, forgot to mention that. Glad to hear you got it sorted. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 am

Just wanted to mention that this is a source of confusion for many people. Refresh rate (measured in Hz) is not the same as frame rate (measured in fps). The question here is about frame rate, but the OP was initially trying to change the refresh rate instead, which is why the change did not seem to work.
Vista 64-bit

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 am

AnnularVoid wrote:Just wanted to mention that this is a source of confusion for many people. Refresh rate (measured in Hz) is not the same as frame rate (measured in fps). The question here is about frame rate, but the OP was initially trying to change the refresh rate instead, which is why the change did not seem to work.

n Hz = n times per second. If you measure how many 'frames' your monitor can show each second, then it can also be called frames per second. I know that frames per second actually refers to the rate at which the GPU renders images rather than the monitor, but a refresh rate is essentially a FPS-limit (made more limity when vsync is on).

Trine seems to have a default framerate limit of 66 FPS (or 66 Hz :)) which the OP didn't know about at first.

[/ramblingfacts]

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:34 am

Notice how I tried to separate the two terms in my post? If anyone began to understand the difference before, they are now confused more than ever after reading yours. What was the point?
Vista 64-bit

Return to “Trine”