Crash when changing character in gamepad multiplayer game

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
berarma

Crash when changing character in gamepad multiplayer game

Postby berarma » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi.

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 64 bits.

In the academy hallways in a 2-player game, at the start of the game after the tutorial when the first skeletons appear, after one player dies changing the character makes the game crash. It doesn't matter who dies or who changes character, but whenever I change characters when one of them is dead there's a crash. This sequence is reproducible always. It can happen later in the game too, but I haven't tested it more.

The games crashes only when using the 64 bits build, the 32 bits build seems to work well in the same machine. I thought it should be noted here and maybe there's an easy solution to make it work in the 64 bits build.

This is the log content after the crash: http://pastebin.com/Wmg0RqB6
Last edited by berarma on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alt_turo

Re: Crash when changing character in gamepad multiplayer gam

Postby alt_turo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:35 pm

The log is not very useful, backtrace would be.

I managed to reproduce this but fixing it might prove tricky. This is a use-after-free bug that is also present on Windows and 32-bit Linux (and presumably PS3 and Mac) but is somehow not triggered in those environments.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

berarma

Re: Crash when changing character in gamepad multiplayer gam

Postby berarma » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I could provide a core file, I guess backtraces without the game debugging symbols won't be useful. I've played the game for hours with the 32bits binary without problems, so for now it's not a big issue at all for me.

Return to “Trine”