Trine / Trine 2 not working on Windows 8.1

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
Miz8us

Trine / Trine 2 not working on Windows 8.1

Postby Miz8us » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 pm

I "upgraded" to Windows 8.1 a few days ago and now Trine and Trine 2 (in addition to a few other programs) won't work. I can get to the loading screen and it crashes when the bar fills to 100%. I get the following error:

---------------------------
Unhandled exception
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Address: 0x68762A9C in d3d9.dll:68762000
Related modules: ntdll.dll
Minidump:
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Trine 2\log\trine2_32bit.exe_458bb801.dmp
Press CTRL+C to copy this message
OK

I have the most recent (as of 11/6/2013) nVidia GeForce driver (331.65 WQHL) and no pending windows updates. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, downgrading the driver, uninstalling/reinstalling Trine and Trine 2, starting windows in diagnostic mode, compatibility mode (W7 and W8), and running as administrator. I've also tried installing DirectX from the Trine and Trine 2 folders. It also seems that other games using dx9 are having issues...

The crash dump can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0trgvygr8oo2 ... 8bb801.dmp

System Specs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aikes6gxz95793p/DxDiag.txt

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

AnniFB

Re: Trine / Trine 2 not working on Windows 8.1

Postby AnniFB » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:24 am

You could try the compatibility mode again, but with Vista and then with XP SP3, as those have worked for some who have had similar problems.

If that doesn't work then you could try this:
Open Steam, and in the Library right-click on Trine 2. Click Properties. Then click "Set Launch Options". You get a text box, write this:

-disableMinidump

Include the minus sign there as well.
Does that help launching the game now?

If not, here are the more complicated instructions for this (in case something went wrong):

Go to the game folder,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\trine 2\

- right-click on trine2_32bit.exe and choose "Create shortcut"
- right-click on the newly created "trine2_32bit.exe - Shortcut" file and choose Properties
- in the Target line, instead of
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\trine 2\trine2_32bit.exe"

write it like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\trine 2\trine2_32bit.exe" -disableMinidump
Click Apply and OK. Then run the shortcut. Does it work now?

If you have tried the instructions above then you could try some of the instructions in here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... dlldll.htm

Let me know how it goes!

Miz8us

Postby Miz8us » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:45 pm

I fixed it! After trying your first suggestions, to no avail, I went to the article on ntdll.dll errors which linked me (or did I do another search for ntdll.dll problems?) to an article on Microsoft's website. They said these errors could be related to antivirus software or start is back. I have both. I disabled Start is Back, no improvement. I redownloaded a driver two iterations old and it wouldn't install. Geforce.com had a forum post suggesting disabling antivirus before installing the new driver... What do you know? I turned of Avast! and reinstalled the driver - Trine2 works. Upgraded to the next iteration driver and installed (Avast! still disabled) and Trine2 works.

Lesson learned: Don't try to install nvidia drivers with Avast! enabled. I can't speak to other antivirus software, but if you're having these problems, try reinstalling your graphics driver without antivirus enabled.

Anni -- thanks for your help!

AnniFB

Postby AnniFB » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:21 am

Antivirus software... Should have known! But really glad to hear that you got it working :D Have fun playing!

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”