Trine troubleshooting, check these!

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Trine troubleshooting, check these!

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:22 am

Here's a few tips that should help if you are having problems with Trine:

- Install PhysX ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0428_whql.html ) - this is required for Trine to start, and it doesn't matter what kind of hardware you have (PhysX works on every computer)
- Disable ATi Catalyst A.I.
- Install the WMV drivers ( http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/wmv/wmfdist.exe )
- Turn off antialiasing (AA can cause unexpected slowdown and other problems)
- Resolutions not included in the Launcher can be edited into \config\options.txt (screen_width and screen_height settings, they should support more or less any resolution)

Other issues:

- If you hear no sounds, please check that your antivirus software (such as F-Secure) is not preventing the trine.exe. At least with the retail version it is possible that e.g. F-Secure denies trine.exe some functionalities and therefore the sounds may not be played correctly. This is fixed by giving trine.exe "Allow" status in the Application Control.

I'll be updating this as "popular" issues come about.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Major-Minor

Re: Trine troubleshooting, check these!

Postby Major-Minor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:07 pm

I have encountered a weird bug in the game. The bug occured in the Academy hallway level, I reached the part where I had to step on a circular switch on the floor to open a gate to the lower levels and at this point something weird happened, all three of my characters could move in only one direction which was from right to left (facing the left side of the screen), they would not face the other direction and the only way to move them in that direction was to back peddle. Also the AI stopped responding and they would just stand there and not even attack my character/s. I restarted the level (Is there no way of starting directly from a checkpoint once I quit and restart the game?) So anyway, I restarted the level again and this time I managed to reach the lower levels, but once again the same bug popped up, my characters would only look in one direction and the only way to move in the other direction was to back peddle. I see there is a suggestion to switch off Catalyst AI, I don't know if keeping it on has something to do with the bug, but i'll try that anyway and report back. I'll also install the latest Physx drivers and hope the bug goes away. I already have the WMV Drivers installed.

(My system specs in case you need them - E6600, 4GB, HD4870, WinXpSp2. Steam bought version of Trine)

Edit : Just tried again after disabling Cat AI and I came across the bug again, will try the new Physx drivers, if even that does not solve the problem I guess I'll have to wait for a patch. :(

Edit 2 : Nope, no luck even with the latest Physx drivers. I have recorded a video of the bug occuring which I'll try and put up here.

Here is the link to the uploaded video showing the bug, it's just 5MB. You will see the character will automatically switch from one direction to another upon crossing an invisible line/spot, also notice the fireballs have stopped shooting through the barrels.

http://rapidshare.com/files/251877626/T ... g.wmv.html

spindoctor

Postby spindoctor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm having the same problem as my friend above. The game will randomly stop allowing me to change the direction in which I am facing (I think it happens near checkpoints, but I'm not 100% sure about this). If I want to travel in the direction opposite to the one I am facing, the character starts 'moonwalking' backwards. The AI also gets disabled, like mentioned above. And if I quit to the main menu and resume the game, it will start at the beginning of the level instead of the last checkpoint. I also made a video clip to show the problem (~30mb xvid avi file).. download here - http://www.sendspace.com/file/sbtp7i

my system specs are : core2quad 9550, 2x gtx260 in sli, 4gb ram, vista 64. I bought the game on steam as well.

Major-Minor

Postby Major-Minor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:06 pm

I started a new game and it happened again and this time I noticed it happened at/near a checkpoint, I also realised that even the video I posted above is just after passing a checkpoint. That seems to be a common thing, can't be sure 100% but seems somehow that the bug is triggered at/near checkpoints. Hope this problem is solved soon :(

Edit: - Heh, now that I think about it, even the place I described in my first post (the circular floor switch), is just after a checkpoint.

beo6

Postby beo6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:13 am

Hello.

I can confirm this bug near a checkpoint. happens always to me in the level right at the beginning of the Dragon Graveyard (i think it is the second level [not counting the tutorial]).

it also seems that most of the physic stops like the spike-balls.

Major-Minor

Postby Major-Minor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:41 pm

I think I may have solved the issue, I uninstalled the Physx drivers, restarted the PC and reinstalled them and successfully completed the second level. The first time I had installed the latest Physx drivers I made the mistake of not uninstalling the older drivers and had overwritten them.

Hope this solves the problem for everyone facing them, which seems to have affected just 3 people in the world. :)

Edit: - The Bug is back :( Completed levels 2 and 3 without an issue and started up level 4 and the bug occured just as I moved a few steps. Can anyone from FrozenByte atleast acknowledge/reply to the posts I am making here?
Last edited by Major-Minor on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spindoctor

Postby spindoctor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm

An update to my issue. I am currently using nvidia forceware 186.18 WHQL display drivers which include PhysX software version 9.09.0428 as mentioned here http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_186.18_whql.html. However, uninstalling the PhysX software from my system and reinstalling the standalone package (same version - http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0428_whql.html) helped. I was able to complete the entire Academy Hallways level with no problems. However, as soon as the next level loaded (Wolvercote Catacombs) the bug appeared again. Since it was at the very start of the level, I quit to the main menu and reloaded the game and it was fine. Since then I have completed the level and just reached the next one (Dragon Graveyard).

What this shows is that, while reinstalling PhysX did seem to help, the actual bug still remains and it is almost certainly triggered at/near checkpoints. I hope this can be fixed in an update.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 pm

This doesn't sound like a physics issue. It's more likely that it's caused by AI getting disabled for some reason. if this happens again, could you please try opening console (F8) and typing "enableAllAI" without quotation marks. You can close console by pressing F8 again. This will only work in the final game, console is disabled in demo.

Currently there is a very annoying bug in the game, which disables all AI when pressing F10. Could this be related?

spindoctor

Postby spindoctor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:15 pm

I wonder if it's because of F10. F10 is the key I have bound to take screenshots in FRAPS. I'm not sure if the other times the bug occurred have been after screenshots but it's definitely possible. I took a screenshot right at the start of the Wolvercote Catacombs, and that's where the bug reappeared. If it happens again, I will try the console command. Also, I guess I'll be using the ingame screenshot feature from now on :P

Thanks for the prompt reply :)
Last edited by spindoctor on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Major-Minor

Postby Major-Minor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:18 pm

fb_juha wrote:This doesn't sound like a physics issue. It's more likely that it's caused by AI getting disabled for some reason. if this happens again, could you please try opening console (F8) and typing "enableAllAI" without quotation marks. You can close console by pressing F8 again. This will only work in the final game, console is disabled in demo.

Currently there is a very annoying bug in the game, which disables all AI when pressing F10. Could this be related?

Thanks for the reply. :D

Now that you have mentioned about F10 disabling the AI, I think I probably know what the problem is, I have assigned the F10 key for taking screenshots using Fraps, heh . I hope this is solved once I change the assigned key. If not I'll also try the console command. Thanks again for the reply.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm glad it helped :wink:.

That F10 bug should be fixed in next patch.

Major-Minor

Postby Major-Minor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 pm

fb_juha wrote:I'm glad it helped :wink:.

That F10 bug should be fixed in next patch.

I have reached the Crystal Caverns successfully!! The bug hasn't returned. Thanks!! :D :D Love the game.

beo6

Postby beo6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:28 pm

now where you say it, i pressed the F10 key because i was messing with my graphic driver hotkeys that are accessible with STRG + F* Keys.
Will try it again if the bug happens again without pressing F10.

i would have played the game more already if there where the german language like in the Demo... But i hope it will get patched in this week.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:29 pm

I use Page Down for my Fraps to take pictures and Page Up to take video. :) No bugs have occured.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

nik0la

Postby nik0la » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:44 am

Hello everyone , i just installed the game and PhysX and i dont have problems to start the game , my problem is that after loading 1st stage i got Black screen , only character icons and pointer appear . here is screen from my problem

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/trine1.jpg/

i am using pretty old pc . AMD athlon 2500+ 1.85ghz Ati RAdeon 9250 , 768 ram :D
if some1 know whats problem pls post here :D bye

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm

nik0la wrote:Hello everyone , i just installed the game and PhysX and i dont have problems to start the game , my problem is that after loading 1st stage i got Black screen , only character icons and pointer appear . here is screen from my problem

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/trine1.jpg/

i am using pretty old pc . AMD athlon 2500+ 1.85ghz Ati RAdeon 9250 , 768 ram :D
if some1 know whats problem pls post here :D bye

Your graphics card do not meet the minimum requirements for the game. From ATi we only support X800 -series and up.

Unofficially something like old 9500-9800 might or might not work (on low resolutions), but those have never really been tested.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:11 pm

It could be that you have way too old graphic card and it doesn't support the renders which Trine requires to draw those bloom effects and other shiny things.

Even Radeon 9800 already very old.

ZeroCast

Postby ZeroCast » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 pm

After getting Trine through Steam, i have been experiencing some drastic graphical issues that makes it impossible to play this beautiful game. I do realize that my FX 5500 is very old to run this physics based game, but for some reason, i can see the character in the background and even play with it but at the same time, there's some kind of blue strips all over the place that are preventing me from going any further, here is a screenshot to illustrate what I am facing exactly:

Is it possible to fix this or is it time for an upgrade?

Helmutcheese

Postby Helmutcheese » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:37 am

Any issues I have had seen on older PC's with lower/older GPU's was fixed by setting AA to NONE, including big yellow patches all over the screen like the sun shining down.

You still should have the latest GPU driver ideally and you must have the latest Direct X and Nvidia PhysX Driver no matter what make your GPU is.

I have seen the game fail to launch with an error about some .DLL missing and its fixable doing above.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 am

ZeroCast wrote:After getting Trine through Steam, i have been experiencing some drastic graphical issues that makes it impossible to play this beautiful game. I do realize that my FX 5500 is very old to run this physics based game, but for some reason, i can see the character in the background and even play with it but at the same time, there's some kind of blue strips all over the place that are preventing me from going any further, here is a screenshot to illustrate what I am facing exactly:

Is it possible to fix this or is it time for an upgrade?

We don't officially support FX 5000 series (6800 is the listed minimum).

That said, feature wise that card should work with Trine. What you can try is to set graphics settings to very low, make sure antialiasing is not enabled and also set your screen resolution to quite low (640x480 or 800x600). Even if it does work, I have no idea what the performance would be like, though.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:28 pm

I think those are artifacts which mean that your graphic card is making a lot of errors. This then can be caused by heat which is caused by too demanding game graphics.

Usually a lot of games tend to have that kind of random errors all over the screen because your graphic card is running too hot. Trine is very very demanding game graphic wise and I think that's because of all the bloom effects and rendering.

Try to open your case, dust it up, check that your graphic card's fan is working at its full speed and that should already help. If you still have those errors, try to lower the graphical demands of the game by lowering AA and then disabling, like distortion effects, and so on.

I'm quite sure those artifacts are caused by overheating graphic card.

abenja1

Postby abenja1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 am

Hey there. First off I just want to say that I love Trine. It is a great game and well worth the money. There's a few minor problems running it on my computer. During cinematics, there is some stuttering. When the cinematics are coming to an end, the audio dropouts the last sentence or two. Can you give me any advice on this or forward me to a post that addresses this?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Sounds like a timing issue.

Are you running the latest version of Trine?

abenja1

Postby abenja1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:43 am

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:Sounds like a timing issue.

Are you running the latest version of Trine?

Yep. Downloaded from Steam. I believe the version is 1.04

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Hmm... I can't think anything other than you could try to updated your sound card drivers but that's my last guess. I can't figure out anything else.

And also, you could make a new thread for this problem because that way this troubleshooting thread would stay a bit cleaner. =)

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”