Unusually high GPU temperature with Trine

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
Miths000

Unusually high GPU temperature with Trine

Postby Miths000 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:13 pm

I just posted the following as a response in a similar thread on the Trine forum at GameFAQs. The issue sounded quite severe for the thread starter, for me it's merely enough to make me wonder about the reason for the unusual temperatures.

"I was about to comment on the same thing on the Steam forums, but I'm still waiting for my account there to be activated.
I've had my current PC for a couple of months now, and even here in the current Danish Summer heatwave I've never seen my Zotac Geforce GTX 260 reach a temperature higher than 76 degrees Celcius - even in games like Crysis and Age of Conan with the DX10 client.
So far it's topping out at 80 degrees in Trine though (both the demo and the first level of the full game, just bought it half an hour ago) and Riva Tuner reports a fan duty cycle of above 50% in places and a fan speed above 1800 rpm in those same places - I can't recall seeing it go much above 45% and ~1650 rpm in those games where it's hitting temperatures in the mid 70s.

Obviously these aren't critical levels and if that fan speed percentage can be trusted, it should have a whole lot of cooling potential left if needed, but it does seem a little odd that a game like this should push the card harder (which isn't reflected in the framerates, haven't run Fraps yet but they seem smooth enough) than eg. the aforementioned games."

FB_Lauri

Re: Unusually high GPU temperature with Trine

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:54 am

I'm not expert of the topic (I hardly understand anything about CPU loads), but having a lot of game code, AI, and specially the very heavy use of gameplay physics in Trine, all on CPU, I would guess it's very possible.

Rakshas

Postby Rakshas » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 pm

FB_Lauri: He ask about GPU (graphical proccesing unit) temp, not CPU.

Miths000 It's okay. This game use physx alot, so you GPU not only doing graphical rendering but all the physics in game - so it get hotter. Crysis uses it's own physical engine and load CPU with that and AoC have very basic physic - so no need for physical acceleration at all. You may try to check your temps in Mirrors Endge with physx enabled - it will get even hotter.
BTW, if your GPU is below 90 degrees its okey (for G200 GPU's) if it gets over - you may need to change GPU cooling.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Well, that proved that I'm not only bad in technical things, also I'm incapable of reading posts :wink:

But yes, Nvidia cards may handle PhysX things on GPU, which would together with superb graphics heat the card (well, again, it's me talking about things I shouldn't! :D )

Miths000

Postby Miths000 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:53 pm

That should explain it then :).

spidy333

Postby spidy333 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:23 am

Its same with me and my ATI4850.. My GPU is pushing 100 degrees when I am playing Trine Demo under 75% fan speed.. whereas usually the other demanding games like COD4, Burnout stays near 85-90 degrees.. Dont know whats wrong..

Rakshas

Postby Rakshas » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:19 pm

FB_Lauri You really should make a videocard stresstest based on this game :lol:

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:44 am

I have to admit that I've never really paid attention to temperatures before. However, I'd guess this is caused by the fact that if you have enabled antialiasing Trine is completely GPU bound game on most hardware configurations. If you want to limit the GPU load there are a few things you can try.

- Remove antialiasing (or drop a level, depending on your graphics card). There is a default framerate cap of 67fps, and if you can hit that then your graphics card should have some time to cool down between frames.

or alternatively

- Find out your average framerate and use a console command to create an artificial cap under it. Open console (F8 on final game, it's not enabled in demo). "/show_fps 1" will display your current framerate. "/render_max_fps n" will cap your framerate to n frames per second. Pressing F8 again will get rid of the console and "/show_fps 0" will hide the framerate counter.

Also, if you just want to test what your graphics card can do without any limits, you can write "/render_max_fps 0" to console to remove the cap completely.

theadder

Postby theadder » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:56 pm

I have a similar thing. I've just rebuilt this machine after it had some problems, so it made me *extremely* nervous.

The GPU is getting above 100 celsius at some points during the game. It's an 8800 GTX and other games will usually only get it to the mid 70s at a maximum. The fan is running at 100% all of the time.

I was running everything on Very High settings with AF at 8x and AA at 4x; that was giving me GPU temperatures of 100+ celsius at times. I turned AF down to 4x and AA to 2x, with all other things remaining the same, and it now doesn't get above the low 70s.

Still, it seems that perhaps the game shouldn't do that to my poor PC...

Aviram

Postby Aviram » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:02 am

I have 4870HD and it seems that with 55% active fan, I have above 100c degrees.
Never saw game that makes my system have so much temp :|

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Could be the intensive render effects, such as bloom and other shiny things which could cause this.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”