Refresh Rate (HZ)

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
Helmutcheese

Refresh Rate (HZ)

Postby Helmutcheese » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Ok I use a high end CRT (Sony 24" Widescreen), and finally I found an App that overrides the drivers refresh rate so every game will run at my chosen HZ which is 100HZ @ 1920x1200 (most App's in the past do not work 100%).

Funny thing is Trine lowers it to 75HZ, this means I would need adjust the screen size to fit edge of case but Monitor only retains 4 of these settings and I ideally want it at 100HZ same as all other games.

I have had a look in the various configs (both Demo and Full Game) and see nothing about HZ, so how or where do I add it ?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Re: Refresh Rate (HZ)

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:34 pm

It could be that game sets the refresh rate based on the frame limit. Because Trine has 67 frame limit, it tells your monitor to take the next refreshrate which fits within that range and that's 75Hz. You could try to change the FPS cap from 67 to 78 or 80 or so and then the game will pick next suitable refresh rate.

But this all is just guessing, so let's wait till someone who actually knows about this comes and explains the things how they work.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Helmutcheese

Postby Helmutcheese » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:53 pm

Hmm, Well I do not use/need V Sync as of CRT but you may be right.

I'm sure I seen a guide here how to raise the FPS Cap, so I can try that.

Thanks.

EDIT : Made no difference, infact changing the Max FPS from 66 to 100 did not uncap the FPS either as well as stuck @ 75HZ.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 pm

There really isn't any smart logic for selecting the Hz for monitor. That said, if you don't mind editing data files I added a manual override for it. You can add "refresh_rate_override = 100" to "Display" section of the config/options.txt. Options file needs to be made read-only as well.

This override won't work before next patch, tho.

Helmutcheese

Postby Helmutcheese » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:11 pm

I don't see your logic mate.

Why would I want to game at the "Absolute Min" that was found by a USA medical board to be ok for your eyes and the actual "Recommended Min" is 85HZ.

My Monitor is capable of 100HZ at 1920x1200 so it should be used.

Simply because Microsoft messed up the way the Refresh Rate worked in XP onwards over older 9x Windows.

I ideally do not want your game or any game to mess with my HZ, I have overridden it in the driver using a new App and it works in all others games (when other App's in past did not).

Any fix would be nice but by then I will have completed the game and that's taking it slowly and not playing it every day.

Not all of us waste good Rigs on a crappy lacking LCD (I have owned many and all are crap over a high end CRT).

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

EDIT: I tell you another thing, newer LCD'S now are appearing that are "True 120HZ" (unlike the previous 120HZ models), the users of these will find the same PIA messing about with XP/Vista/Win7 to get there 120HZ not to be lowered to 60HZ in games.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 am

What I ment with the lack of logic was that Trine doesn't try to find the highest Hz to run with., At the moment we don't have time to redo that logic and test the changes (ideally we'd need a Hz selection to launcher or something like that). That's why I added an override for those who need it for the time being.

As for why the driver override doesn't work, I don't know. However, we've fixed a bug which might or might not help with that.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”