Black Screen / Video off w/ sound still going, total lock up

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
TrinaryOuroboros

Black Screen / Video off w/ sound still going, total lock up

Postby TrinaryOuroboros » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:41 am

Bought this on steam.

Kind of is making me upset I can't speak with an actual person on the phone to troubleshoot this, after hunting for hours and hours, I'm posting this in the hopes someone might be able to help / share their experiences in regards to this issue.

I figure if it can't be fixed, and I can't play the game, I should probably get my money back for the Full game I bought that "thought it could", but, let's see what happens.

:mrgreen:

The issue is as follows:

I've been able to play the game all the way up to the Forest map, where the knight feels "A boulder is Lifted from his shoulders", and suddenly a Mountain is dropped on mine...

During the Forest scene, you eventually fall into water, where there's a chest on a tiny island by itself.

Opening the chest gives you: Scales of Fish

Almost like clockwork, no matter What I do in this area, I can pass the chest, I can sit there staring at the chest, I can jump into the water and swim around, but Right In This Spot, the monitor cuts out, and either sound will continue to play in the background for a moment, or the sound gets the sudden lock up stutter. I've even had a bad one where the monitor was still on and tiny itty bitty green blips danced across my screen.

I've tried All Resolutions, Windowed or Fullscreen.
I've tried All available graphic settings from the Launcher, disabling AA, disabling Anisotropic Filtering, you name it, setting things to Very Low.

On Very Low, sometimes I can actually get past the chest for a minute or two, then the same thing happens again, screen blacks out/monitor turns off, sound still plays in the background, CTRL-ALT-DEL is useless, and I have to forcibly reboot.

I've never had a game do this before, I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and am a seasoned troubleshooter to boot, I'm kind of miffed, because I really liked this game.

Anyway, I've also downloaded the latest PhysX driver for the hell of it, because someone had mentioned once that the shipped PhysX driver was old, didn't do anything for me.

I downloaded the latest drivers for my ATI card, nothing.

I disabled ATI Catalyst A.I. - nothing different, same problems, except the characters look horrible for some reason.

I'm using a variety of hardware monitoring, like SpeedFan, and get No Alerts on temperature. My Core itself remains a happy breezy 50 degrees celsius (gotta love the Phenom), and my twin ATI Radeon's seem merry enough...since I've been able to play the game up to only this part, I have also figured, hell, I'll keep the computer off a whole day and try again, maybe it just needs a break for some reason? Nope...same Exact Spot...same Exact problem.

Short of reinstalling the game from scratch [funny, I never had to actually "reinstall" something from Steam, and I've been a big customer of theirs since they started], I feel I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this problem, and could really use some input at this point.

Here's my setup:

Windows Vista 64-bit
Two sets of CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
Two Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM, mirror raid.
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HD9600WCGDBOX - Retail
MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Two DIAMOND Viper 3870PE4512SB Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Cards - Retail, in Crossfire of course.
Note: I have enabled CrossFire in Catalyst, and tried disabling - useless.
Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W "Continuous Power" ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply - Retail
...and for the heck of it, cause I'm really out of ideas here:
APEVIA X-PLEASURE-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
64-bit...like Atari Jaguar?

Helmutcheese

Re: Black Screen / Video off w/ sound still going, total lock up

Postby Helmutcheese » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 am

Same issue I had till I removed my GPU Overclock (which is stable in ALL games inc Crysis and in any GPU Stress Testing App's).

This game is known (by users) to make their GPU's on AVG 10C hotter.

Advise you monitor the GPU Temp in game using Rivatuner so when you exit the game after a few minutes you can drag the mouse back along the Timeline to a point you were in the game.

This info and a photo of Rivatuner reading temp (just a photo from the web not my own) are all in this forum cause I posted it.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1831

TrinaryOuroboros

Postby TrinaryOuroboros » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:46 am

Helmutcheese wrote:Same issue I had till I removed my GPU Overclock (which is stable in ALL games inc Crysis and in any GPU Stress Testing App's).

This game is known (by users) to make their GPU's on AVG 10C hotter.

Advise you monitor the GPU Temp in game using Rivatuner so when you exit the game after a few minutes you can drag the mouse back along the Timeline to a point you were in the game.

This info and a photo of Rivatuner reading temp (just a photo from the web not my own) are all in this forum cause I posted it.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1831

Done, interesting, with Video Sync enabled, it actually lasts a lot longer, didn't try that before.

Okay, the first run, I got past the chest for a few minutes this time with sync enabled, then same issue with black screen / etc.

While on this run I kept flipping back and forth, but the GPUs both remained around 60C at most.

I lost the log because I ran the Rivatuner hardware monitor in record by accident, overwriting the file, but, no worries, played again.

Second Run, this time I got Waaay past the chest with the same settings, I even got to the next stage now!

Unfortunately, somewhere in the middle of the ruins it happened again :|

I was watching with Alt-tab as well, same general temp, except the load dropped during the Narrator's sequence, as you'll see in the log, it drops, then I'm back to playing again on the next level in the ruins, the last tail is where it died, but again it's around or under 60C on the very end bit:

TrinaryOuroboros

Postby TrinaryOuroboros » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:52 am

:idea:

Just another thought here, the GPUs are at 55C before playing the game, second is a bit cooler because it's not used as heavily.

So that's only ~5C in difference, I wonder why people are complaining of heat?

I don't have any fancy cooling system other than the desktop tower itself, but regardless, I had another idea:

Since Video Sync seems to do something, I feel I should probably mention I have a Dell 30" UltraSharp 3007WFP, one of the originals - maybe something with this monitor? If that's the case though, why would it fail in windowed mode?

TrinaryOuroboros

Postby TrinaryOuroboros » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:57 am

Extra Thought:

I've played Mirrors Edge before, and it also uses PhysX, now, there Was a Slight problem during the game, but, it was so non-noteworthy I just didn't care about it back then.

What would happen is when people shot the Glass windows, on Very high graphics mode, the game would start to get laggy during all the physics actions. Maybe PhysX is the problem?

TrinaryOuroboros

Postby TrinaryOuroboros » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:02 am

Bonus Thought: It's not that I'm against it, and I'm sure this board is favored for it's ability, but, I just Don't Ever Overclock - I'm an old believer in the manufacturer knows what they're doing better than myself. So Overclocking, nope - not even used.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:53 am

TrinaryOuroboros wrote:Done, interesting, with Video Sync enabled, it actually lasts a lot longer, didn't try that before.

Okay, the first run, I got past the chest for a few minutes this time with sync enabled, then same issue with black screen / etc.

While on this run I kept flipping back and forth, but the GPUs both remained around 60C at most.

I lost the log because I ran the Rivatuner hardware monitor in record by accident, overwriting the file, but, no worries, played again.

Second Run, this time I got Waaay past the chest with the same settings, I even got to the next stage now!

It's interesting if vsync affects stability at those temperatures. Could you please try playing (without antialiasing) by first opening console (F8) and typing "/render_max_fps 30" (without quotation marks) there. Pushing F8 again closes the console. As with vsync this will limit your framerate, clamping it to 30.

I don't know if it have any effect, but it's worth a try if both lower settings and enabling vsync have helper before.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Yeah. I was wondering exactly the same thing as Juha.

Maybe it is some sort of memory leak which occures only on some graphic cards and it is related to the amount of frames and memory on the graphic card because the Vsync gives you so much more time to play the game.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

TrinaryOuroboros

Postby TrinaryOuroboros » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:01 am

fb_juha wrote:It's interesting if vsync affects stability at those temperatures. Could you please try playing (without antialiasing) by first opening console (F8) and typing "/render_max_fps 30" (without quotation marks) there. Pushing F8 again closes the console. As with vsync this will limit your framerate, clamping it to 30.

I don't know if it have any effect, but it's worth a try if both lower settings and enabling vsync have helper before.

Run 3:

Settings used:

ATI Catalyst AI: Disabled

Resolution: 1920x1200
Vertical Sync: Enabled

Texture Detail Level: Medium
Anisotropic Filtering: Disabled
Antialiasing: Disabled

-Full screen
-Extra Gamma Effects
-Render Glow
-Distortion Effects
-High Quality Video
-Sounds Enabled

Use EAX - disabled
Enable multiple mice and keyboards - disabled

Went into game, it fortunately left me off at the Ruins level, began game, hit F8 to get console, typed:

/render_max_fps 30

(nothing returned/no messages)...hit F8 again and played.

Lasted until I beat the mini boss [crystal on his back, thing] - then same problem occurred with the black screen/audio still playing for a short moment/total lockup.

I'm going to try now with all video settings in the trash, will update.

TrinaryOuroboros

Postby TrinaryOuroboros » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:08 am

Final Run:

Settings used:

ATI Catalyst AI: Disabled

Resolution: 640x480
Vertical Sync: Enabled

Texture Detail Level: Very Low
Anisotropic Filtering: Disabled
Antialiasing: Disabled

- Full screen
Extra Gamma Effects - disabled
Render Glow - disabled
Distortion Effects - disabled
High Quality Video - disabled
-Sounds Enabled

Use EAX - disabled
Enable multiple mice and keyboards - disabled

Went into game, still left me off at the Ruins level, began game, hit F8 to get console, typed:

/render_max_fps 30

(nothing returned/no messages)...hit F8 again and played, this time my character was frozen in place, could not move left/right at all, but could Turn either direction, shoot arrows/etc. - and suddenly I learned the F-keys contain a bunch of hacks, and ruined the rest of my chests on this save game permanently - great!

I hit F8 again, typed /render_max_fps 30, again, hit F8, suddenly I can move for whatever reason...

So in this mode I was able to beat the game, after swearing and cursing on the tower part for a few minutes - that did it, super crappy graphics, and the 30 max fps...and I'm through.

Thank you for the tip, I enjoyed the game, albeit in extra crappy graphics.

Just a small business tip: After watching the credits, I came to realize, if you have That Much Staff you should really consider putting more your cash into bug fixers / devs more, they're what make the game, for petes sake - not marketing people and sales B.S. artists, they made up like 9/10ths of the credits!

Anyway, not asking for my cash back because the game play itself was unparalleled in today's market and the few poor devs who exist in the company truly deserve All of that money, but...to who ever's in charge: That's a really bad business attitude towards the gaming customer. Support and bug fix should not be this crude, they should be Top Priority in a software company - no offense at all to the devs, this has Got to be someone higher up who has the ability to staff more, and please tell them we're pissed. Thanks.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”