Trine Enhanced Edition Online Multiplayer failed to join

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
fulcrum

Trine Enhanced Edition Online Multiplayer failed to join

Postby fulcrum » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Me and my friends are trying to play using online multiplayer mode (public or private) but some of us can't join (long connecting... message and end up with failed to join message, mostly error 4 sometimes error 0). Once we can join altogether but one of us end up crashed. Tonight I can't join at all to any of my friend's game, in the past I (maybe one month ago) could join to one of them effortlessly.

Spec:
Me: i7 2600K, 8GBx2 DDR3 1600, Gigabyte Z77, Gigabyte GeForce GTX560Ti, Windows 8.1
Friend1: Intel i5 ULV (laptop), 2GBx2 DDR3, GeForce GTX635M, Windows 8.1
Friend2: Intel i7 3820 (I think, sandybridge-e), 4GBx4 DDR3 2400, Gigabyte X79, Gigabyte GeForce GTX770, Windows 8.1

We could play Trine 2 online multiplayer flawlessly. All via steam.

I read that online multiplayer mode in Trine Enhanced Edition is beta feature, so is failed to join multiplayer game a common thing?

thx!

MarjutFB

Re: Trine Enhanced Edition Online Multiplayer failed to join

Postby MarjutFB » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 am

This sounds strange. We haven't ran into anything like this before.

The game is no longer in beta stage, but issues always seem to pop up from somewhere - but we try our best to fix them. Let's see how we can track down this connection problem. :)

What firstly comes to my mind, is that this could be an issue with firewall settings. I recommend you and your friends to check your firewall or antivirus programs and try to add Steam and Trine Enchanted Edition to the programs' exceptions. Does this make any difference?

If that didn't seem to help, could tell what exactly happens when you're trying to start the game with your friends? Who was the host who created the game (You, Friend 1 or Friend 2)? Did you try changing the host? Who is getting the error messages, or did more than one of you see it?

To make answering simple you can maybe describe the progress by steps like the following:

1. I created the game
  2. Friend 1 joined
  3. Friend 2 joined but their game crashed right away
  4. We repeated the steps and the same happened

Also, all of you could try to join a random multiplayer game, which will hopefully help us to pinpoint is this a connection problem for one or more of you.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or just how it goes. Cheers!

fulcrum

Postby fulcrum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Thx for your respond! sorry I kinda forgot with this thread, I'm occupied with work :(

okay 1st, firewall is off on all three and it's not made a difference.

2nd, first:
1. Friend 1 host a game
2. I can join a game and we both played astral academy but not for long maybe 10 minutes, we're just trying online features in EE after we're completing Trine 2 Goblin Menace.

Later, weeks later,
1. Friend 1 host a game
2. Friend 2 can join the game
3. I can't join the game (error 4)
4. Re-host can't solve the problem and Friend 2 can always join the game at that time

Then we tried to change host
1. Friend 2 host a game
2. Friend 1 reported connection failure or join failed or something like that but moment later he can join the game without touching anything.
3. I can't join the game (also error 4)

Change again,
1. I host a game
2. They both can't join a game. Friend 2 reported it's error 0.

Tried again,
1. Friend 1 host a game
2. Me and Friend 2 finally can join the game
3. In Astral Academy, when first we started moving square stone, Friend 1 crashed.
4. Me and Friend 2 decided to quit since we think it's bug after bug, we didn't try more that night

To be honest, later I think maybe it's my internet connection somehow screwed up that day, but previously we played Men of War: Assault Squad for 1-2 hours no problem, and afterwards I played Company of Heroes 2 with Friend 2 also no problem for about 2 hours. All steam games.

EDIT: 3rd, I just tried quick match, it's connected quickly.

Tommorow I'll try again with them both.

fulcrum

Postby fulcrum » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Today I could successfully play with both of my friends. Internet problem maybe.
But at chapter 5, we (all of us) started to disconnected rather randomly:
- right in the middle of chapter 5
- right when we rejoin multiplayer and press start
- another one still at chapter 5
- after we kill the boss (chapter 6?), when we're lowering the big bridge down.

When dc happened, RaidCall (VoIP) is still running clear.

And oh, it seems Trine 1 is more difficult than Trine 2, very fun though!

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:48 am

Unfortunately we still don't really know what could cause this. :(

Could your router have a build in firewall that could interrupt the connections? What kind of router do you have? If you can access it's settings you could try to turn the firewall off. Your friends could check this too.

Have you noticed that the connection is working better at different times (for example during afternoon or in the evening)?

Please also check you don't have any programs on that could interfere with the connection, for example programs used for downloading.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”