Trine PS3 bug list

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
Sipu

Trine PS3 bug list

Postby Sipu » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi,

Just to get started with these (you'll get more i'm sure).

- The swapping of characters is unresponsive most of the time. I tried 4 different controllers so it's not a problem with them.
Basically what happens is that when you swap the character it can take a long time or it doesn't appear to do anything at all so you keep pushing the buttons until the character swaps. the character should switch immediately...

- Frame rate issues, especially in the lava levels towards the end where you need to kill tons of skeletons. The game got REALLLY sluggish if there were adequate number of skeletons in there.

- Small Glitches in the "story screens" (text area flashes with some rubbish until it clears and the actual story text shows up)

- One of the chests produced some corrupted string when picking up the object, can't remember which level... somewhere midways to the game.

FB_Lauri

Re: Trine PS3 bug list

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Sipu wrote:- The swapping of characters is unresponsive most of the time. I tried 4 different controllers so it's not a problem with them.
Basically what happens is that when you swap the character it can take a long time or it doesn't appear to do anything at all so you keep pushing the buttons until the character swaps. the character should switch immediately...

This sounds really weird and hasn't been present in any of our tests. Is this co-op or single player problem? Can anyone else verify having similar problems?

Sipu wrote:- One of the chests produced some corrupted string when picking up the object, can't remember which level... somewhere midways to the game.

If anyone can spot the exact spot it would help a lot.

Sipu

Postby Sipu » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:08 pm

This sounds really weird and hasn't been present in any of our tests. Is this co-op or single player problem? Can anyone else verify having similar problems?

Single player.

In some circumstances (like freshly loaded level) the character seems to swap okay, but after playing for a while it gets sluggish. I need to do some testing at some point... but not today :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Well, it definitely is something that shouldn't be there. Also the performance issues at second last level should not be that huge at least in single player.

There has been some isolated reports of other performance issues which are not present in any of our PS3 consoles we have at office. We have to keep looking into these, but that really sounds something what our testers, our publishers testers or Sony's testers should have noticed if it's problem in the game. I'm pretty sure we are not able to make this happen with our equiptment, which leaves your system somehow different than ours.

Edit: can you tell which PS3 model you have and your original HDD size?

Sipu

Postby Sipu » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:44 pm

its the european launch model 4xusb, card readers, etc. with a 60gig drive

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks, we'll definitely look into this.

Rapante

Postby Rapante » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:09 am

I have the same problem when switching characters. As Sipu already pointed out it works fine when you've just started a level, but when you stick to one character for a longer time and then switch, you'll notice a slight delay which as I suppose results in the model being loaded into memory again somehow (don't know why the system should throw it out of the video ram / ram though )

I also had a few framerate drops in the crystal caverns, iron forge and also the last level.

what I also found to be a bit quirky is the grappling hook sometimes. I found it odd that if e.g. you run from left to right jump and then try to grapple the grappling hook will sometimes shoot out against your direction because the attachment point it shoots to is nearer to where your position as the attachment point I intended to grapple on (which is in running direction)

other than that, no complaints, great work.

and for the record: PS3 UK launch model 60gb (refit with 160gb samsung sata drive - which is faster than the original).

Sipu

Postby Sipu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:39 am

... which as I suppose results in the model being loaded into memory again somehow ...

Yeah I was speculating something similar and tried to keep an eye on the HDD light when I was going through the characters to see if it starts blinking excessively.
I'm not sure if there's any factor regarding HDD fragmentation and this effect (my box has had stuff coming and going since launch).

Also the performance issues at second last level should not be that huge at least in single player.

In my case ~most of the game runs silky smooth but in the lava pits the game became almost unplayable ... I'm talking REALLY jerky.

My opinion about console game development: If you notice areas where framerates noticeably drop in testing, I'd consider optimizing the code to resolve it. People will notice choppy playback and it gives a stain into the overall experience. Let's face it, there are much better looking ps3 games out there that manage to run at a constant framerate...

Sipu

Postby Sipu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:38 am

Okayy, so the unresponsiveness isn't about "loading" the character but it just seems that the game doesn't respond to all the button-presses on the controller. I made a short video to illustrate what happens (or doesn't happen). Notice in the beginning that I have to press the shoulder-button 4 times before the character swaps. Sometimes it goes with one push, sometimes two... sometimes more. It's quite erratic.

Sometimes it works just fine for a longer period of time (the character swaps immediately)... like after creating this video i finished the level and the next level the character swaps correctly every time I push the button.

As said, i've tried this with different controllers so it should't be an issue with them. I'm attaching the mp4 video clip for your scrutiny.
[edit] looks like this messageboard software is broken: first it tells me max filesize is 2 megs. Then i try uploading a file that's less than 2 it says mp4 isn't allowed as an extension. Then i put it in a 7zip package and now it tells me the max filesize is 256k ... ARRGH [/edit]

Rapante

Postby Rapante » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:37 pm

youtube it :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:56 pm

We are going to investigate if a media center or some other peripherals have something to do with this. If anyone experimenting any unresponsive actions and/or performance issues could tell their system version and original HDD size and all equiptment connected to their PS3's, and do they have a media center (PC connected via wlan or lan) in use.

Rapante

Postby Rapante » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:26 pm

ah I forgot that this is also happening when I do switch weapons.

I've tried it with a friends ps3 as well, he still has the build in hdd, same issues here as with mine.

but to answer your questions, yes I do have a NAS in my network, where both my PS3 and the NAS are connected via 1Gbit/s full duplex netgear 5 port switch.

The NAS is a ReadyNAS NV+, but if i disconnect it from the network or if I simply disconnect my ps3 will not remove the framerate issues or the delay.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Did you disconnect it, then reboot your console and after that run Trine?
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Rapante

Postby Rapante » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:12 pm

i didn't reboot the console the first time but now that you've asked I did and did the following tests (with a reboot between each one):

tested the game with these setups:

1. completely disconnected (physically - no cable attached) stutters/framerate drops where there but only so minimal they are barely noticeable. no delays when switching weapons or characters.

2. beeing connected to my network but disconnected from psn: same as 1.

3. beeing connected to psn but physically detached my NAS device: all the problems Sipu and me stated before where noticeable

4. completely connected: same as 3.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks for the testing, I think you have the problems existance well narrowed there. Now we need to figure out is there a way we could fix this by fixing the game, or is it beyond our hands.

Yashamaru

Postby Yashamaru » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi i've a 60Gb PS3 (the only model in EUR with backward compatibility) and i've encountered some problem (no i've disconnected the console, i don't have this problem with the other PSN game that i've bought ecc).

First of all in the lava level (the 14) if you use the Knight with the hammer at lvl 3 and you jump and attack (with the hammer stomped to the ground) you can notice a lot of frame drop.
After that there is some minor issue for example the knight have some difficulty to hit the enemy with the dash ability, i've to use that at last two time for hit an enemy (and it's very frustating because you lost a lot of mana), the bat can attack you even if there are some object to protect you (for example you on the top of a bridge and him below the bridge).
After that i think the game is fine, but i hope that you can fix the problem i've listed here.

Maniac

Postby Maniac » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi!

My first post here. :) First of all, Trine is IMHO a brilliant and really refreshing game. :)

I just wanted to let you know the following issues:

1.)
In the Prison level (should be be 6th oder 7th... the first indoor level) the spiders sometimes get into the walls. They can hit you from there without having a chance to hit them back. You do not even know in which direction to block with the knight. So all you can do is to get out of the spot really fast. I noticed this in singleplayer and coop.

2.)
One of the boss monsters got stuck. It wasn't moving/attacking and couldn't be harmed by any weapon. Unfortunately I don't remember the level as it only occured once and wasn't reproducable. It wasn't the skeleton type boss, but the other one (let's call it ogre? :)). It occured in a 3-player coop-game.

3.)
Also a one time occurence: Somewhere ingame I got a trophy, switched to the PS menu and compared my trophies with a friend of mine (syncing my trophies in between). When trying to get back to the game by pressing the PS button, my PS rebooted. Don't know if this is a Trine issue, but it never happened before for me and from there on never again. Sorry, can't remember the level but I can at least say, that it was in singleplayer-mode.

4.)
In the forge-level (the one before the tower of Sarek) you can get stuck in walls with the thief by using the grappling hook and swing into a wall, where some planks are right next to the wall. I finally got out by switching to the knight (maybe his belly pushed him out :D). Noticed this in single player, can't say for coop.

5.)
In 3-player coop when all charactes are dead, the cam sometimes scrolls around for a while (at max ~30 seconds) until it finally goes back to the last spawn point. Didn't notice this in 2-player coop or single player.

6.)
The performance issues mentioned before. At some points in the forge level and the last one, the framerate drops to about 5-10 frames per second when there are much lava effects on screen and about 4 or more skeletons. Maybe there's some room left for improvement? :)

I own a european 80GB PS3 by the way. HDD is still standard. No other devices were connected to the PS. It connects to the internet via a NAT-box with no other devices in the network. Hope this helps.

Never the less, none of the points rendered the game unplayable and in general I was really pleased with the over-all quality.

Keep up the good work, Frozenbyte!

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm

We have been getting reports of second-last level performance issues. We are in middle of exploring this, but I can say that if you collect loads of skeletons and smash them with Knight's hammer's secondary attack it's very likely to cause a temporary frame rate drop. If you have low frame rate all the time it's something more weird, but this is what we are trying to cause with our equiptment currently.

Yashamaru

Postby Yashamaru » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:14 am

FB_Lauri wrote:We have been getting reports of second-last level performance issues. We are in middle of exploring this, but I can say that if you collect loads of skeletons and smash them with Knight's hammer's secondary attack it's very likely to cause a temporary frame rate drop. If you have low frame rate all the time it's something more weird, but this is what we are trying to cause with our equiptment currently.

I've finished the game 5 times and i can say that the problem is where there is a lot of flame on the screen and sometimes with the smash of the knights. In general the framerate is a bit low where you have a lot of flame arround, so i think that in this case the team need to tweak the performance because in co-op this level is unplayable.

GIGAFATTYMON

Postby GIGAFATTYMON » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:03 am

edit***never mind not a bug, except in my head***

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”