Trine PC Crashes Before Ever getting to play a level

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
monkeyhunter06

Trine PC Crashes Before Ever getting to play a level

Postby monkeyhunter06 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:58 pm

System Specs:
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64 bit
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model KT369AA-ABA a6512p
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Graphics Card Name NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 8.15.11.9038

I installed Trine as part of the direct2drive winter special. Have spent the last two days trolling these forums and playing with (and downloading) physx and nvidia drivers to no end as per any official response from frozenbyte, and I'm utterly tired of reading the same thing over and over again by me and everyone else. I've updated to 1.05, uninstalled/reinstalled, re downloaded, and pissed my time away. All I want to do is play Trine.

The game loads fine, and gets to the opening motion video, then to the paper map loading screen for the astral academy. As soon as the vine loading bar hits the end, the program stops with no explanation, no little warning box, and no fix according to anyone online. I've handed control over to the program from my nvidia control panel, disabled anything that might be cool looking graphics wise from the Trine launcher, launched from the trine.exe, and lowered any expectation of this game working. I'm running every other game I've purchased in the last year at full tilt with no problems. What do I need to do to actually play this indie game?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Re: Trine PC Crashes Before Ever getting to play a level

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:41 pm

What's your sound card? And have you tried disabling sound? Also that "Adapter RAM 512.00 MB" sounds weird. What's your REAL RAM amount? I'm expecting it to be closer to 1 GB or 2 GB.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

monkeyhunter06

Postby monkeyhunter06 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:20 pm

my real ram is 4GB. the sound card is integrated, and i have tried disabling sound. did the same thing. tried downloading the trial version after ive already purchased and installed the retail from d2d. now i dont even know what version im playing. if i launch from the launcher instead of the exe, and close out it tells em to purchase the full version, but just going from the exe nets a different intro publisher but avoids the purchase link on firefox after the program closes itself.

After updating my physx driver again i was able to play up to the dragon graveyard [with full sound] until pieces of the area were literally flying around hitting me and preventing me from doing anything other than being smacked around by what looked like a piece of chain. This was in the spot where you get the wizard's plank ability from the chest, but the platforms leading up to that small area acted like i couldnt stand on them, but still moved and jangled if shot with the thiefs roap. I exited, now it shows that i cant continue, but my save information is still available in the save slot. the little of this game i got to work still had falling through floor bugs on level 2 and now this, im beginning to wonder if this game is even worth it for pc.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:05 am

The game is definitely acting in a way it shouldn't, sorry for the inconvience. Problem seems to be with PhysX, which for some reason is not working properly. Can you try another version of PhysX, or simply uninstalling and re-installing PhysX?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Yep. I was thinking that too. Download the latest PhysX and uninstall the current one and then download the version you just downloaded.

This should be the latest: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.1112.html
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Sorry to hear about the problems. There's a couple of possible reasons for the abnormalities, one of which is PhysX, but it could also be that your download is corrupted and you need to re-download it once again...

You could also test the demo at www.trine-thegame.com/TrineDemo.exe (470 MB) and see if that works as it should.

If you still have problems with the game, then it would be very useful to get a screenshot/video of how it looks like on your computer. You can take screenshots with the F11 key (saved to \screenshots folder). If you don't have any place to upload the screenshot, you can send it to my email (see the black bar above) and I can take a look.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”