Trine Wont Start

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
toungennose

Trine Wont Start

Postby toungennose » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:20 pm

I know there have been a million of these, but i cant not figure it out.
I would have put this on steam page but they wont register me, its been 2 days and i havnt gotten the email.

I have downloaded the steam demo along with the retail demo. On steam when i try to play it brings me to the launcher, and i set everything for low and click launch. It brings me to the steam store (which happens with other demos after you close out of the game) on the retail version it run a "the application failed to initialize properly 0xc0000006" error code. The same thing happens when i run steam version directly from the containing folder. I have updated DirectX i have PhysX and the MWV drivers. I hope someone could help me.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Trine Wont Start

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Sorry to hear. Can you post your system specs?

You can also check the logs\ folder of the Trine folder, and see if there's any files there (especially error_log.txt)...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

toungennose

Postby toungennose » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 am

System Specs:

BIOS: Pheonix ROM BIOS Plus version 1.10 A9
Processor: Intel Core2 CPU T5200 @1.60GHz(clocked at 2.0GHz) 2CPUS
Memory: 2GB
Page File Used: 367Mb Page File Available: 2091Mb
DirectX Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

26.6.2009 [20:01]
DEBUG: Driver 0(Primary Sound Driver) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 1(Realtek HD Audio output) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Hardware sound channels initialized: 0

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:17 pm

It seems your sound card doesn't support EAX. You could try to disable EAX from the configuration menu where you set your graphic settings. Or if even after turning the EAX off from the options, you could try to play without sound.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

toungennose

Postby toungennose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:19 am

Still takes me to steam store... i played on PS3 and it was super fun i really want it for PC. (or xbox :( )

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:44 pm

EAX probably doesn't have too much to do with it, that's what is output on most systems anyhow (mine included).

The first thing I have to ask - what is your graphics card make/model? Trine requires a reasonably new graphics card and that could be the issue here... let me know.

I would also suggest re-installing the PhysX drivers, http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.10.0129.html , sometimes it can help. Let me know.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:29 am

Won't start for me either. My log, as I have my ASUS Xonar D2X card unplugged, says the same thing as the previously pasted log. There is no error log and you guys know I've played this game before; it was on this very rig. I haven't tried playing it in a long time, but I know it been after Catalyst driver 10.1 for sure. I just disabled Crossfire, didn't fix it. I might have to restart though. All my other games seem to work with Crossfire enabled now that I got a new graphics card. Had to RMA my old one which seems to have caused all of my prior issues. This game, as soon as I open it, crashes.

Vista 64-bit
Two Radeon HD4850s Cat 10.3
6GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ up to 3.2GHz

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Saturn2888, one thing to try is to disable high quality videos. So go to config\options.txt and scroll down, and put 0 to all the video stuff, and save the file. Then try to launch the game again. Any luck?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:36 am

Sorry, for some reason the forum didn't notify me of a reply even though the notify box was checked.

I tried that and it didn't work. Since I wanted to know if the problem was widespread, I tested a bunch of games I had installed in Steam and Impulse. Here is a list of games I've found to work and not work.

NOT WORKING
FarCry - Black screen, had to kill process
Trine - Crashes immediately
Zombie Driver Demo - Crashes immediately

WORKING
Beyond Good & Evil
BioShock
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Cogs
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Darwinia
Demigod
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Droplitz
Dystopia
Elemental: War of Magic beta 1Z
Fallout 3
FarCry2: Fortunes Edition - Major black patches blinking
FLOCK!
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich - Does not close on Exit
Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords
Galcon Fusion
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Hammerfight
Jade Empire: Special Edition
Mount & Blade Demo
Multiwinia
Ninja Reflex: Steamworks Edition
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode 1
Psychonauts
Research & Development
Resident Evil 5
Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy
Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment
Space War
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Supreme Commander 2
Synergy
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3: Black Edition

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:23 am

I tried putting the graphics at the Low setting and 640x480, not full screen, same issue. I might want to note I did try disabling Crossfire before and had the same issue still.

I'm assuming the engine might be thinking I have a certain monitor I don't or something. Is it saving anything? I went into Steam also and did the Verify Integrity of Game Files option to no avail.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:34 am

I found yet another strange thing. I downloaded the Zombie Driver standalone demo, installed, and ran it to find out there's a PhysX issue. Upon updating my PhysX drivers, the standalone version now works. I am still unable to play the Steam version though. I am downloading the standalone demo of Trine and going to see if that works. I am quite upset at the problems some Steam games seem to have with belated versions, unpatched games, not working games, games that have no patches. The workarounds I go through for most games seem far too tedious for the money I put in; but at least there are workarounds. I don't understand the differences in the retail and Steam versions except for the encrypted executable.

At least I'm having partial success here.

I should probably also note I have a physical Ageia PhysX 100 card in my rig as well. That probably affects things.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 am

Ah ha! I got it. I took your suggestion to install some stuff, but I think the file you linked wasn't the correct one. I ran the Demo, the standalone Demo worked, but the Steam full version didn't.

I went into D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\trine and ran the WMFDist11-WindowsXP-X86-ENU.exe file. I know I use Vista 64-bit but ran this anyway. Then I ran the trine.exe all by itself, and it opened. I dunno why I didn't think of doing that sooner. Now, when I run the game from the config tool, it actually works like it should.

I want to bring up something as I can't remember if this is normal or not. When running Trine in a window, was it normal to view the game as if it was full screen but not filling up the entire screen? Normally I have a movable Window but that's not working here apparently. I attached a file detailing this. I tried using DXWnd to force it into a Window but that didn't work either sadly.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Yeah, the borderless window is totally normal with trine because the missing borders don't let you move the window. If you are in the heat of a battle and move your mouse out of the game view and click somewhere where you didn't want to this could cause the game screen move and thus be quite annoying.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:42 am

Joel, just so you and others here know, the problem with games crashing before starting seems to be a PhysX issue. I don't know if it's having a PhysX card that affects it or having ATi+Crossfire+PhysX or what, but it's clear to me almost all of my problems are PhysX-related as I get the same instant-crashing thing with Mirror's Edge and am unable to play it right now. I forgot I had a bunch of other games installed that weren't from Steam or Impulse. Anyone know of any other PhysX games I might own? Cellfactor Revolution does the crashing too. I don't know what's wrong.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds: Survivors? Those use PhysX too.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:28 pm

They're not installed, but that's strange, I had no clue.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Actually Shadowgrounds doesn't use PhysX - Shadowgrounds Survivor does though (and there's a demo available, http://www.shadowgroundssurvivor.com/ ).

Trine doesn't by default display the titlebar in Windowed mode - this can be enabled in config\options.txt (I think it's windowed_mode_titlebar = 0 or something in there).

As for the actual issue, the PhysX card could be the culprit. However the problem with Trine got solved with the WMV drivers right?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:33 pm

I do own the games but good idea on using the demo. It's easier to do a quick test with a demo than a full game download on Steam.

I'm assuming the problem was with the WMV drivers, but I can't imagine why because disabling video didn't make it work. It could've been a combination of updating my PhysX drivers, installing the WMV drivers from the executable /trine folder and running the standalone executable outside of Steam and the configuration manager. I can't really remember how exactly everything happened only that I did things in that order, and I'm sure I tested it every time in between steps.

Which PhysX SDK do Survivor and Trine use? The physical card only works up to 2.8.1 as far as I know. I'm starting to guess it's the card as well but I disabled it in the Device Manager, and it still didn't fix the problems. I would've also thought the problem was Steam-related but since it happened in my EADM version of Mirror's Edge, that's out of the question. I don't know if I'm the only one with the issue, but I originally thought toungennose had the same problem I had which is why I posted here. Oh well, let's hope, if others have the issue, they report if they also have an Ageia PhysX card or not. I know these games worked before so why they wouldn't now is up in the air.

Since there is a way to enable the titlebar in windowed mode, I might recommend adding that setting as a checkbox in the configuration manager to make it easier for people to get to. I'm not sure if anyone has complained about it before, but it might be a nice addition which probably would take 10 minutes or less to do since it wouldn't require recompiling the game.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:57 am

Right. Well it's no wonder - these things tend to be quite strange at times. I'll see about the Launcher and the windowed mode, although at some point we wanted to keep the Launcher as simple as possible (for one reason or another) so I'm not sure if we want to change it much at this point. We'll see how it goes.

I think Trine should in fact work with 2.8.1 PhysX drivers but I'm not all too sure to be honest. The bigger problem might be that the hardware and software implementations have always been a little different, so despite the driver version, the card could act a little differently. That said, I'm not sure if it should affect the launch of a game though. I'm glad that it works now though, and I too hope this helps if anyone comes across the same issue.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 am

That's great you're considering the modification to the configuration utility.

I'm not using 2.8.1, but I know nVIDIA said the card works so long as you the SDK used to program the game was 2.8.1 or before. I have the newest PhysX drivers in my PC. The driver the card is using says something about December 200 version 1.1.1.15 I believe.

Yeah, let's hope this helps out others. Thanks Joel!

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”