Multiple Keyboards/Mice

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
person51090

Multiple Keyboards/Mice

Postby person51090 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:17 pm

This is really glitchy. Here's what my device manager looks like:

Now I'm trying to configure options.txt so that I can play with my laptop keyboard (keyboard 5) and touchpad (mouse 1), and my usb keyboard (keyboard 1) and mouse (mouse 2). Using these labels does not work at all.

• The only way to get my laptop keyboard to work is as "keyboard 0." What does this mean? Is this an override of sorts?
  • My USB keyboard (should be keyboard 1) does not work at all (I have tried 0 through 5)
  • The touchpad works, but only in the player 3 slot. i.e.: having mouse_ID = 1 is the player 2 slot does not work.

What's going on? What should I put in options.txt to make this work?

Also, why are there four configuration slots for a three player game?

Finally, I assume that "player 1" corresponds with "mouse/keyboard 1" in the game options, right? It seems that I can't set my touchpad configuration to player one, as the touchpad won't work on the Trine menus (so I can't actually get into the game).

Thanks for the help!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Keyboards/Mice

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 am

Just to confirm, you have the latest version of the game (1.07)? Also, what Windows version?

I'm not able to help more right now, I need to test these myself tomorrow... I would have assumed that the IDs are the same as the Windows IDs, i.e. when you click on the devices' Properties etc (the 'location' part).

And of course I assume that you have enabled Multiple input devices in the Launcher's Advanced menu?

And the amount is four because it's probably connected to all of our games (e.g. Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor and Trine), even if the first two can't actually make any use of this config... Heh. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

person51090

Postby person51090 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:34 am

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the quick reply! I just downloaded the game on Steam yesterday, so I assume that I am on the newest version. Also, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Honestly, I just assumed they were numbered in alphabetical order, as listed in Device Manager. I guess the mice seem to be that way, 0-indexed. However, that would make the PS/2 Keyboard (laptop keyboard) number 4, but it responds to 0. So that seems not to be the case. Where, then, would I find the device id? Right-click-->properties gives me a location like "on USB input device," but no device number.

And yes, I enabled Multiple input devices. :)

By the way, the game is really beautiful. I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with some friends!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Alright, I got some info now. Basically it's quite easy to find out what numbers the game assigns to various devices. Simply start the game, and then quit, go to \logs\ folder and open log.txt. It should list all the devices and their IDs there. (You can also do this ingame by opening the console with the F8 key, it should show them there too.)

It should display something like this:

Code: Select all

28.6.2010 [18:09]
DEBUG: Driver 0(Primary Sound Driver) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 1(Logitech USB Speaker) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 2(Realtek HD Audio output) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Hardware sound channels initialized: 0
INFO: Raw input initializing:
mouse_ID[0] is \??\HID#Vid_04b4&Pid_8328&MI_01#7&a5d713a&0&0000#{378de44c-56ef-11d1-bc8c-00a0c91405dd}
mouse_ID[1] is \??\HID#Vid_045e&Pid_0039#6&2e5b1794&0&0000#{378de44c-56ef-11d1-bc8c-00a0c91405dd}
Mouse 1 has been assigned to mouse_ID[1]
Mouse 2 has been assigned to mouse_ID[0]
keyboard_ID[0] is \??\HID#Vid_04b4&Pid_8328&MI_00#7&1979cc88&0&0000#{884b96c3-56ef-11d1-bc8c-00a0c91405dd}
keyboard_ID[1] is \??\HID#Vid_046d&Pid_c312#6&1c53f6d9&0&0000#{884b96c3-56ef-11d1-bc8c-00a0c91405dd}
Keyboard 1 has been assigned to keyboard_ID[0]
Keyboard 2 has been assigned to keyboard_ID[1]

Of course, this still doesn't explain which ones are which... but it's the first step, and should let us know if the game can actually recognize all the devices.

I'm not sure if you can assign these on the fly, but it's worth a shot too... So you can write like "player1" and press TAB to autofill it, and then try to assign the correct numbers and see if it makes any changes... but it might be that it requires the game to be restarted in-between. (I couldn't really test it.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

person51090

Postby person51090 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Joel, you rock. Players 1 and 2 are responding perfectly.

Now, all I need is to wire an old xbox controller into a spare USB plug, and it will be time for some serious co-op.

Thanks for the speedy help. Best of luck with Trine 2.

P.S.: Did you guys make any money when I bought Trine for $4.00 in the Steam sale? At least, you can be sure that I'll spend real bucks on Trine 2.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Excellent. :) There are some USB adapters for the original Xbox controllers btw, TigerGame was the name of it or something... We have a bunch lying around here hehe. (That said, I'd suggest a real gamepad or e.g. the Xbox 360 wired gamepad, they're the best.)

And yeah we make a good share of the Steam sales, so don't worry. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Nemesis

Postby Nemesis » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi, I'm having an issue with using multiple mice and keyboards as well. I recently bought a new keyboard/mouse, the Logitech MK710, which has a Unifying device that plugs into my computer. In case you don't know what that is, it means that the keyboard and mouse hook up wirelessly to the same device which is plugged into a single USB port. Before I bought this new keyboard, I was able to use a regular USB keyboard and regular USB mouse with an additional input of an XBox 360 controller and the game worked great.

Now, the inputs are all screwy. The mouse works just fine in Windows, and when I launch the game (I have the latest Steam version) the mouse stops responding; as in, the mouse just freezes on the screen and will not move. The keyboard and mouse just do not respond so I cannot play the game single player. I plugged in an additional mouse and keyboard to attempt playing multiplayer, and here is where everything gets *really* screwed up. I configured Player 1 to use Mouse/Keyboard 1, Player 2 to use Mouse/Keyboard 2, but there is also a 3rd input, even though I only have 2 keyboards and 2 mice plugged in. So player 3 is inadvertently set up with Mouse/Keyboard 3.

I start the game and here is what happens:

-Player 1 cannot be controlled with the keyboard at ALL. Mouse 1 controls player 1's cursor.
-Player 2 can be controlled with the additional mouse and keyboard set up for Player 2.
-Player 3 can be moved with the Keyboard 1 input, and the mouse cursor does not move.

I push Esc on the Keyboard 1, and the game pauses. Moving the mouse (Mouse 1) does not show a cursor, instead, I am shown a highlighted word when the mouse moves over the item that can be selected. In other words I have to work incredibly hard just to return to the menu.

Once I got back to the menu, I reconfigured the controllers. This time, I set player 1's controls to Mouse/Keyboard 2 (the set that worked before above) and set player 2's controls to Mouse/Keyboard 3 and player 3's controls to Mouse/Keyboard 1. Start the game again. This time, NONE of the keyboards work, and only the mouse cursors are able to be moved. Mouse 2 controls Player 2, and Mouse 1 controls player 3.

What on Earth is happening that the inputs are so messed up?! I love playing this game, but right now this game is utterly unplayable in its current state for me.

Graphics are a non-issue here, I can run everything on full blast, and it never lags. I have Windows 7 with the Steam version of the game, and I would very much appreciate some assistance with resolving this issue!

Thanks!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:54 pm

This hasn't been mentioned clearly in this thread, so I have to ask are you aware of the configs in config\options.txt? I.e. these:

player1_keyboard_ID = 0
player1_mouse_ID = 2
player2_keyboard_ID = 1
player2_mouse_ID = 1
player3_keyboard_ID = 2
player3_mouse_ID = 0
player4_keyboard_ID = 3
player4_mouse_ID = 0

They'll help you map the IDs that Windows gives to the devices. Also be sure to have the "Enable multiple mice and keyboards" checkbox enabled in the Launcher.

Let me know if the above helps. I'm guessing the Logitech device is somehow messing with the IDs and that's causing the problems...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Nemesis

Postby Nemesis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks for the reply fb_joel! I did not know about the config/options.txt file, but I will certainly check it out when I get home from work today. It's curious about how there are "player4" IDs in your configuration text; what's the purpose of that if it's only a 3 player game?

I have the allow multiple mouse and keyboard inputs checked in the config as well :) How do I know which keyboard/mouse correspond to the various IDs? I know how to open the Device Manager, but then is it just the order they are listed, or is there an actual ID # somewhere that I can refer to?

(I'm pretty computer savvy, so don't be afraid to get technical on me here ;))

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 pm

Heh, right, there's 4 players in the configs but only 3 are usable in Trine. Four is just leftovers from our previous games (which don't even have this feature, but oh well).

You can press F8 in the menu to see the game console - it should list all the devices and their assigned IDs there. That should help hopefully.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Nemesis

Postby Nemesis » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:58 am

Thanks for the tip on the config file, that worked like a charm! I just had to tweak around some options until I got the combination that worked for each player, but now it's working perfectly! Thanks for the help :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Good to hear. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Edudant

Postby Edudant » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi,
I played Shadowgrounds survivor with my friends and we were using one keyboard and 3 mouses and it was just fine, now I see that it is not possible in Trine, that you cannot have for example one keyboard and 2 mouses. Somewhere I saw that it is because the new keyboards cannot make it when you press more buttons at once, but then why it was possible in Shadowgrounds?
Is there some way, some hack or something so the Trine has the same option as Shadowgrounds?
We want to play with my sister, we have more mouses but only one keyboard, right now I dont want spent any more money for another keyboard=)
Thanks a lot, trine is very interesting

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Yes, apparently the configuration menu doesn't let you use "Mouse + Keyboard 2" if Keyboard 2 is not present... Unfortunately I was not able to hack it to work either. I tried using player1_keyboard_ID = 0 and player2_keyboard_ID = 0 but to no avail, it seems like it's hardcoded to detect the devices and if there's not enough, there's no way to enable them through the software. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Don't worry Edudant, cheap USB keyboards usually are very cheap, like 10€ or so. You try to find one of those. ;)
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Edudant

Postby Edudant » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Okey, I appreciate your help. think I will just call some friends, so they bring theyer keyboards and we will do little trine party=)

Herbert

Postby Herbert » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Edudant wrote:think I will just call some friends, so they bring theyer keyboards and we will do little trine party=)

I can recommend that. However watch out for "gamer" keyboards or anything else that has extra keys. As said above, some of them are represented as independent mice or keyboards and can cause a lot of trouble. Three sets of low-budget keyboards and mice worked best for me (you can simply swap the mouses around instead of tinkering with the config files).

StumpeRIFIC

Postby StumpeRIFIC » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:43 am

Okie Doke... First of, Trine = awesome. With that out of the way I can get to more pressing concerns.
I seem to be having the same issue that 'Nemesis' was having as stated above (Player one is controlled by a random mouse and keyboard combo, player two has only mouse and no keyboard controls her, player three had only keyboard and no mouse that controls him). Now, I was ecstatic when I saw the update for 1.07 had included a new way to work around this and I started tweaking around with the numbers. Problem is, every time I start the game, that config file seems to rewrite itself to the old settings. Every time we try playing, no matter what number combo I use, the file reverts to it's old values. I've even tried making the file 'read only' but the game still somehow replaces the values anyway.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Are you using the Steam version? I thought it might've been Steam Cloud interfering but now I remember that the config.txt file is not actually included in the Cloud files... The keybind files are there though ( \steam\userdata\userprofilenumber\35700\remote\ ) Steam Cloud can be disabled by opening the console with the F8 key and writing "steam_cloud_enabled 0". This should be in the options.txt too.

Anyhow, since it's probably not a Steam Cloud problem... You could try running the game and editing the config.txt values by alt-tabbing back to Windows, and then saving the file. With some luck it just might work.

I'd also double-check that the write protection works - make the file write-protected and then try to edit it with Notepad, and see if it gives you an error message. If it does, then I don't see how the game can touch the file anymore (I'll have to ask the programmers in this case).

Let me know if any of this helps. (Sorry for the delay, we've been having some vacations recently.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

maricius

Postby maricius » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Sup fellow gamers :)

So me and my friend tried playing this multiplayer whit 2 mices but everytime we enable the game to use input from more than one mouse and then open the game we cant use either of the mices at all.

We have read everything in this post and there is just nothing that helsp us whit our problem atm.
If anyone could have an idea to whats causing the problem it would be sweet whit some help.

maricius

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:45 pm

maricius, this is most likely a device issue - I suspect you have some "extra" devices in the Mouse/Keyboard hardware list.

Here's what I've just written to the FAQ:

Here's a step by step guide for 2 players, should work on all Windows versions (XP, Vista, 7):
- plug in two mice and keyboards
- start the Launcher and go to Advanced, and check "Enable multiple mice and keyboards" checkbox
- launch the game and go to Options, Controllers and click on the 2nd player so that it reads "Mouse and keyboard 2" (keep Default Configurations for both)
- click Change (this is important, Back will go back without saving)
- go to Choose level and load a level other than the first one (co-op only works from the second level onwards)
- test if both of the players work ok

In the main game menu, only one mouse is supposed to work. Some people have experienced a problem whereby no mouse works in the game menu.

This is usually caused by other interfering mice or keyboards. To check this, go to Control Panel / Mouse and Control Panel / Keyboard (check the Hardware tab - there could be additional devices besides the ones you want).

If so, you can either disable the devices (not recommended), or modify the ID numbers in the game. When you start the game, press the F8 button to bring up the game console. It should write a bunch of ID stuff, and it probably finds various IDs.

The IDs can be changed in config/options.txt.
You can change "player1_mouse_ID = 0" to "player1_mouse_ID = 3" for example
The game should now recognize the correct mouse in the game menus and both mice should work in the game (and if only one works, repeat the ID process for the second one).

I hope this helps - let me know!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”