Multiple Keyboards and Mice don't work on Windows 10

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
Gullinbursti

Multiple Keyboards and Mice don't work on Windows 10

Postby Gullinbursti » Sun May 24, 2015 9:25 am

We just purchased Trine 1, 2 and 3 to play in local coop mode. Unfortunately, the games crashes when trying to enable multiple keyboards / mice. I am running Windows 10 Preview Build 10122. Single player works fine.

Please let me know if you have any tips. It would be great to get this beautiful game work on Windows 10!

Here are the Exceptions:

---------------------------
Unhandled exception
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Address: 0x01FED1EB in trine1_32bit.exe:01FED000
Related modules: trine1_32bit.exe USER32.dll d3d9.dll gameoverlayrenderer.dll KERNEL32.DLL ntdll.dll
Minidump:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Trine\_enchanted_edition_\log\trine1_32bit.exe_6a3208cb.dmp
Press CTRL+C to copy this message
OK

Unhandled exception
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Address: 0x01E68FB3 in trine2_32bit.exe:01E68000
Related modules: trine2_32bit.exe USER32.dll d3d9.dll gameoverlayrenderer.dll KERNEL32.DLL ntdll.dll
Minidump:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Trine 2\log\trine2_32bit.exe_72d5e3cd.dmp
Press CTRL+C to copy this message
OK

I haven't yet tried Trine 3 but will provide an update once I do.
Last edited by Gullinbursti on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fb_jlarja

Re: Local Multiplayer doesn't work on Windows 10

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed May 27, 2015 7:22 am

We are actually phasing out multiple keyboards and mice support (Trine 3 won't have it). However, if you can send us the .dmp files generated (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Trine\_enchanted_edition_\log\trine1_32bit.exe_6a3208cb.dmp and C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Trine 2\log\trine2_32bit.exe_72d5e3cd.dmp) I might be able to take a quick look at some point. You can send the dump files to our support email address

The crash is probably caused by "gameoverlayrenderer.dll" listed in relevant modules in crash report. I think that's related to Steam and by quick googling you can find several references from different people having trouble with it. You might have better luck solving your problem with the help of google than by waiting for a patch from us (we are pretty swamped with Trine 3 at the moment :) ).

Also, since Trine 3 won't have support for multiple keyboards, the only way to play local co-op will be using a gamepad for one or more players. If you are willing to buy one for Trine 3, you could solve your problem with T1 and T2 that way too :) .

-JLarja

Gullinbursti

Postby Gullinbursti » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Thank you JLarja.

I was not able to find anything on Google so we bought 3 xbox gamepads which work very well.

Regards,
Fabian

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:00 pm

fb_jlarja wrote:We are actually phasing out multiple keyboards and mice support (Trine 3 won't have it).

Since Trine 3 won't have support for multiple keyboards, the only way to play local co-op will be using a gamepad for one or more players.

Can you please explain why that is? I had a lot of fun playing Trine this way, and I don't see any merit to dropping features that don't harm the game in any way. What's the reason behind dropping support?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:57 am

NeatNit wrote:
fb_jlarja wrote:We are actually phasing out multiple keyboards and mice support (Trine 3 won't have it).

Since Trine 3 won't have support for multiple keyboards, the only way to play local co-op will be using a gamepad for one or more players.

Can you please explain why that is? I had a lot of fun playing Trine this way, and I don't see any merit to dropping features that don't harm the game in any way. What's the reason behind dropping support?

Generally speaking features don't just keep working year after year. You have to fix things, either because something in platform (Windows), hardware or game itself changes.

Multiple keyboards and mice never fully worked in Trine 2 or Trine EE (I wasn't at Frozenbyte when original Trine was published, so I don't really know about that). There were major problems with menus and UI for selecting which keyboard to pair with which mouse was hard to use. For Trine 3, there's been more changes, leading to more broken things. Since this is a niche feature, it was decided that we won't be fixing it.

In short, "dropping a feature" here really means not investing time and effort to keep the feature working, not actively removing a working feature.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”