Windows 7 Trouble / Alienware M11xR2

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
jackgist

Windows 7 Trouble / Alienware M11xR2

Postby jackgist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:53 am

I have an Alienware m11xR2 i7 quad core with a Nvidia GeForce GT 335M 1 gig video card, Win 7 64;

I have the same inability to launch problems I have read about and have tried all the recommended fixes to no avail. I would love to hear anything that might help. Does the 1.09 patch happen to address this since it seems relatively common?

Please!!

Thank you for your assistance!!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 Trouble

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Yes you should definitely patch the game to 1.09.

However, the problem itself could be due to something else. I would suggest reinstalling the PhysX drivers and if that doesn't help, the graphics drivers.

Let me know if that helps. If not, let me know a bit more about the symptoms - does the game crash at the loading screen or do you even get to the menu?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Thank you Joel.

I have tried both of those options unfortunately. I have hesitated to make a full purchase due to the difficulties. What is interesting is that before updating all of my drivers I was able to get to the introduction of the wizard character but he would freeze at the first floor switch before getting to the chest and thief.

Now, after updating, the game won't even get through to the first "start" from the first map after the intro.

You have to have the full game for the 1.090 patch, which I am willing to purchase if I knew it would work.......

I love the game and applaud your work.

THanks again for helping out!! Does anyone else using the NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M have similar probs?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Oh it's the demo. It sounds like the data files are simply corrupted or otherwise broken, so I'd suggest downloading the demo again and installing it again.

I'm hoping that will help.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Joel-

Have done that :( .... but will try again.

I was wondering if it might be the latest driver for PhysX as opposed to an older update since that has helped a lot of folks it seems. Which version has been most successful?

I tried to download from various hyperlinks but if you have a newer one it won't intall an older version....just a thought.

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:00 am

Joel-

Curious about update 1.09, I bought the program and updated everything.

It still does not get past the first map after into, thus I never see the thief.

It does act a bit differently in that it just stops and goes to the desktop.

I think it might have to do with the launcher. It did mention that the Physx SDK did not work or something of this nature but I have the latest Physx driver and cannot install any earlier drivers.

Is there a possibility that if I can bypass the launcher it might work?

Thanks!!

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:02 pm

One last thing Joel (yes once I get started working on something it is hard for me to let it go 8) )

You may know this already but this computer comes with two grahic cards that can switch back and forth depending on the grahical power needed.

It so happens that one is a dedicated Intel HD card. I have noticed that Trine does not work with these cards. However I have made sure that Trine is ran only in the NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M card but..........perhaps there is an issue with NVIDIA's Optimus switching that is causing the program from ever running......

Thanks!!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Hmm...

You can start the game directly from trine.exe in the game's folder. It really shouldn't make much of a difference though (the Launcher just launches trine.exe basically).

But yes, your theory sounds spot on - perhaps the game/Windows is trying to use the Intel graphics card for some reason. That would explain all the problems. So we need to force it otherwise. I'm not quite sure how to do this, but in theory I think there are some options in the Control Panel, and perhaps the Optimus has some configuration too? You could try to disable the integrated Intel chipset and only use the NVIDIA one, and see what happens then. Also make sure you've plugged in the power cord, that could affect this as well.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks for responding Joel.

It does have a method of forcing the use of just the Nvidia card and I have tried this unfortunately. I am on the phone with Alienware right now.

Trine is not the only game that has this problem I have discovered. It is quite possibly the interaction with the Motherboad and video card. Of course I am having to go through the motions of reinstalling and updating before I can prove it to them however.

Can you verify that Trine is definitely compatible with Windows 7 or is it an XP compatible and on works on W7 in the compatibilty mode?

Thanks again!!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:01 pm

Trine is definitely compatible with Windows 7, it doesn't need any special tricks. I believe it does also run in XP compatibility mode but it's not required normally. (You could try that of course.)

Sorry to hear it might be a "bigger" issue. Maybe it could be forced in the BIOS directly, but I suppose the Alienware tech support will have better suggestions. I hope it gets solved somehow! (If not, just let me know and I can refund the game or so.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Joel-

One thing I have noticed is that Trine only states XP/Vista on the Amazon download area. I have seen it say Win 7 on your website can it be that there are different versions out there?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Well anything is possible in theory, but in practice I very much doubt this. But we can make sure, I'll email you some further ideas.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Yea-

Definitely a longshot but interesting nonetheless. I really appreciate your patience and assistance though!!

What are the specs for the Geforce 8800 by the way? Does it compare well with the Nvidia Geforce GT 335m?

Just playing all the cards while I have Alienware on the line. THey apparently saw the XP/Vista info so are now trying to put it on you guys.......Nothing I did not expect though 8)

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Just got your email.......

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Yeah - if they're trying to blame it on Trine, feel free to let them know that I can hook them up with the game, so they can test it for themselves. :)

Not sure about the 8800 - it's an older chip but should be quite powerful if I remember right (might even be faster than the GT 335M).

Just to be safe, Trine definitely will not run on the Intel chipset, but it should run on the GT 335M. The game basically needs shader model 2.0 features as far as I know and the GT 335M seems to support shader model 4. (Our official requirements are NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better or ATI X800 or better.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Joel; here is something interesting...

I just ran the "Can you Run it" program on the Trine Website and my laptop passed everything but the OS test stating that the game was developed before Win7 and is for Windows XP/Vista.......Alienware also did the same thing......

I still think that it is kicking over to the Intel HD card inadvertently even when it is forced to use the 335M only

Again. thanks and let me know your thoughts on the 'test" results above. I while give the Steam version a try as well.

Thanks Joel!!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:01 pm

The CYRI test doesn't take into account the OS stuff "properly" - they don't actually test the games manually, it just states that the game was released before Win 7 so it can't be sure.

I have Windows 7 (Professional 64-bit) at home and it has no problems whatsoever running Trine. I'll run the CYRI test in a few hours when I get back home and post the results here (there are a few different versions of Win 7 available so perhaps Alienware is using some special version of it, although that sounds a bit unlikely).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Sounds good. Hey, have you ran across or can you see, if others with the M11xR2 with the 335m card are having similar issues? That might help build a case.

You have been awesome, thanks and enjoy the day!!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Here's my CYRI: http://trine-thegame.com/help/2011_04_t ... i_win7.jpg So the OS note is nothing to worry about.

Did you try it through Steam, just in case?

We haven't heard of any other reports of Trine not running on that laptop or that NVIDIA chip, although I think they're both rather new. I did a quick Google search and didn't really find much, but this one sort of confirms that the game should run: Notebook Review. If the game wouldn't run, I'm pretty sure there would reports of that. And here's another thread.

But tell you what, it's probably easy to confirm - I'll post a thread over there and let's see what happens...

Edit: That forum looks like a great place to figure out the problem, seems like Optimus causes a lot of problems (here's a general thread). Here's something I found there: "After a few unsuccessful attempts at launching the game, I went back to the Nvidia pannel and added about all the .exe I could find in the Witcher's folders (Steam version), and it works properly now, using the Nvidia card and without giving me the previous error. Not sure which of the .exe allowed this result though, but at least it's working." So maybe you can try adding trine.exe somewhere to the NVIDIA Control Panel, and try again. Also you could try other graphics driver versions, even something much older.

Also the program GPU-Z should show which graphics chip it's trying to use, so that could also confirm our suspicions. Disable the "Fullscreen" option in the Trine launcher and use a lower resolution than your native display resolution, and then Trine will run in a window so you can see what's going on with other programs.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 am

Alright, here's the specific thread I made about Trine and its compatibility with the M11xR2.

Basically there's three or so users who confirm that the game runs just fine. So it's definitely not an issue with the game, it must be the Optimus (or something worse, like a hardware failure).

I would suggest browsing that forum a little bit, it seems like Optimus is causing a lot of trouble and there are some tricks to get past those ("whitelisting" the game seems to be one common solution).

Let me know how it goes!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 am

Wow Joel-

Thanks for the effort!!

So I ran the GPU program as suggested (oh btw the steam version did the same thing.....) and what is interesting is on the bottom of the window when I ran it, at the "Computing" description only OpenCL was checked and not Physx.....hmmmmm

Can this be something?

Thanks!!!!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 am

That probably doesn't matter - I think it's just listing features of the graphics card. None of the boxes are checked for me with the Radeon 4200 HD and Trine launches fine (and runs).

Did you try the whitelisting stuff? Try to add trine.exe to the "profile" or other list, It must be there somewhere in the settings/Control Panel.

Gotta get some sleep now, I'll check back tomorrow - good luck in the meantime!

Btw. the Shadowgrounds games could also be a good indication - the first one doesn't use PhysX at all but does require the GT 335 card, and Shadowgrounds Survivor requires both PhysX and a the GT 335 card. So if Shadowgrounds runs but Survivor and Trine don't, then the problem is with PhysX - if none of them run, then the problem is with the graphics card/Optimus.

Edit: Also, the NVIDIA forums seem to be buzzing with some info, and here's a thread/video about updating the Optimus drivers and adding games.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 am

Joel-

Again, thanks for all the research. I have tried whitelisting and managing the 3D applications in the Nvidia panel. I will try the Shadowground programs tomorrow w2hen I can download them via a faster connection.

This is crazy. I am gonna get back in touch with Alienware and see what I can do. Perhaps getting a new video card if that is possible with M11x. In the meantime a will peruse the excellent forums you have been researching!!

Bet we chat tomorrow!!

Until then, thanks.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Also one thing you should do is add "steam.exe" to the whitelist as well. Apparently that could help too. Here's hoping one of these tricks will do the job. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jackgist

Postby jackgist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Good morning Joel...Hope you got some rest!!

Nothing has worked. Whitelisted everything I could imagine. Referring to the forums you directed me too was very helpful, albeit discouraging.

I am going to have to take this up with Alienware/Dell somehow to see what I can workout. Showing "proof" is the difficult piece in this battle because I am not sure just telling them it is happening to others is gonna work.

It seems quite clear to me at this point that it is between Nvidia and Intel.

New facts....Disabled the intel chip and lost all graphics....something that I do not think should happen the 335M should take ttheoretically take over. I then upgraded the Intel chip and lost all communication with the 335M.....

Any suggestions on an approach with Alienware/Dell will be helpful.

Tou have been great to work with and I look forward to Trine 2. I am hoping I can play that one!! :)

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”