Trine and its uninstaller icon

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
AnnularVoid

Trine and its uninstaller icon

Postby AnnularVoid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm

I am currently on Vista. When I open Control Panel\Programs and Features (that's where the game can be uninstalled), I see correct icons for SG and SGS, but Trine shows a generic uninstaller icon (like that of unins000.exe instead of trine.exe). I wonder if anyone knows how to change that icon. I know I can just add DisplayIcon to the Uninstall section in the registry, but that's not how SG and SGS are set up, and they have correct icons.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear as I realize that this is a very technical question.
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Trine and its uninstaller icon

Postby fb_joel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Do the uninstallers have correct icons in the Start menu?

I think this is either built-in in the executable somehow, or some Windows issue (maybe some user rights stuff), because the installer scripts between all three games are basically the same. Trine is a bit more advanced but nothing that should affect icons... Or it can be a change in how our installer ( Inno Setup ) works, as Trine is built with a newer version than the SG/SGS retail ones. (The Humble versions are built with the same version though so they should behave the same.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 pm

fb_joel wrote:Do the uninstallers have correct icons in the Start menu?

Yes, and that's the part that puzzles me the most. I mean, for SG and SGS, they display the "setup" icon in the Start menu and the "program" icon in the "Uninstall or change programs" section. CCleaner sees the same icons, so it pulls the information about them from somewhere. But for the life of me I can't figure out where. unins000.dat file may contain this information, but I don't know how to parse it out of there. Opening it in plain text shows installed files, but not registry entries (and it probably isn't in the registry, anyway).

fb_joel wrote:( Inno Setup )

Thanks for that. Now I at least have something to start with. The FAQ says (emphasis is mine),
The installer's icon may be changed by setting the SetupIconFile [Setup] section directive. To set the uninstaller's icon, set UninstallIconFile.

Unfortunately, it seems the end user can't change that. However, I have no idea whether that's even the right place to look. I mean, it doesn't matter what the actual unins000.exe has for an icon. There is a pointer to the icon somewhere. But where? I guess I'll just have to keep digging...

Edit:

Hmm... What do you know, I found something in the manual:
[Setup]: UninstallDisplayIcon
Description:

This lets you specify a particular icon file (either an executable or an .ico file) to display for the Uninstall entry in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet on Windows 2000 and later. The filename will normally begin with a directory constant.

If the file you specify contains multiple icons, you may append the suffix ",n" to specify an icon index, where n is the zero-based numeric index.

If this directive is not specified or is blank, Windows will select an icon itself, which may not be the one you prefer.
Examples:

UninstallDisplayIcon={app}\MyProg.exe
UninstallDisplayIcon={app}\MyProg.exe,1

Basically, if you don't set it during the packaging phase, Windows is free to pick one on its own. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to resort to adding the right icon to the registry manually.
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Yeah sounds plausible. Neither of the SG games have that icon defined though, so I'm not sure why they behave differently...

So yeah it's ultimately our mistake. We're not going to fix it though, to be honest. I'm not sure if there are some 3rd party programs that allow inserting a custom icon into .exe or other files, but that could be worth a shot. Other than that I'm out of ideas.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Well, I just wanted to do it the "right" way, the way the installer supports. I could probably go looking for a free tool to replace the icon on the unist000.exe file, but the registry hack is easier. And of course I don't expect you to fix it for any past programs as it's not a big issue if an issue at all. It's just something to be aware of for the future, maybe.

Oh, and if you're interested, the way to do this through the registry is very simple. You just navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trine_is1 and create a new string value, DisplayIcon. Then simply specify the full path to the icon file as its value. (Omit Wow6432Node on a 32-bit installation.)
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks for that. We'll try to make Trine 2 have proper icons.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”