Trine 2: Multiple Mice

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
Herbert

Trine 2: Multiple Mice

Postby Herbert » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi

I am experiencing problems trying to play Trine 2 with three sets of mouse and keyboard. The controls work fine for the first two players. However the game somehow forgets about the third mouse. When disabling multiple mice, the game informs me that "Player 2 has disconnected.", but no word about player three. Afterwards every mouse moves the single cursor, so basically the mouse is working. Tried with a combination of PS/2 and USB devices, as well as only with USB devices (all recognized as HID-compatible). The same hardware configuration works fine on Trine 1 (strangely enough the third mouse, the one that isn't usable in Trine 2, is the only one that works in Trine 1's menu). With Trine 1 it took some tinkering with the config, but worked reasonably well. Is there any way to enable debug output in Trine 2 to help me resolve this issue myself?

Regards
Herbert

Herbert

Re: Trine 2: Multiple Mice

Postby Herbert » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Solved it myself. After I wrote about Trine 1, I fired it up again and read it's logs. It turned out there was a parasite device in my sytem called "PointerClassLegacy0" Trine enumerated as mouse 0. In Trine 1 that mouse was assigned to player 4 so I never had any problems with it. This virtual mouse wasn't listed in Windows' Device Manager nor in the Windows System Information. After examining the registry I discovered this entry:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\PointerClass]
"\\Device\\PointerClassLegacy0"="\\REGISTRY\\MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Services\\Mouclass"

However, the Mouclass entries looked completely fine:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mouclass\Enum]
"0"="Root\\RDP_MOU\\0000"
"1"="ACPI\\PNP0F03\\4&258f370f&0"
"2"="HID\\Vid_0458&Pid_004a\\7&3867789&0&0000"
"3"="HID\\Vid_03f0&Pid_3824&MI_01&Col04\\7&389d743b&0&0003"
"4"="HID\\Vid_15d9&Pid_0a4c\\8&2d245986&0&0000"
"Count"=dword:00000005
"NextInstance"=dword:00000005

Item 0 "RDP_MOU" seems to be ignored by DirectInput by default. Item 1 refers to the empty PS/2 port was also corretly ignored. Items 2 to 4 are the actual USB mice used.
But there was an innocent looking registry key named "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\PointerPort". It pointed towards an invisible unstoppable service that was installed with a driver for my mobile phone. I removed the drivers, rebooted, the malicious registry entries were gone, Trine 2 works like a charm with three mice and it only took me three hours. I never would have found out without the logs from Trine 1.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”