Trine 2 PC gamepad help (GameCube controller)

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
Slaughtz

Trine 2 PC gamepad help (GameCube controller)

Postby Slaughtz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 pm

I wasn't sure whether this included Trine 2 help or not, so my apologies if it doesn't.

- What is the problem in as much detail as possible
The controller works fine, it seems, except for two things. Whenever I go to change my binds for my controller it registers "Axis 5" as constantly being pressed, so I have to somehow beat the registering of that button by spamming the actual button I want. I don't even know where Axis 5 is on my game pad.

I think this constant registering of "Axis 5" has also caused major cursor lag when I enabled the use of multiple mice and keyboards (which I did so I could have control over my mouse at the beginning screen, where the cursor would get stuck in the upper left of the screen.) I've since had to disable that because the lag was unbearable and I could eventually move my cursor just fine with minimal lag after pressing tab and enter at the start screen.

The second problem is that the 4 directional gamepad (hat) on the controller wont register as buttons on Trine 2 where they previously did on Trine.

My controller does have multiple modes (Flight, Analog and Digital) and I tested all three and it didn't change the Axis 5 problem. Digital did allow me to bind the hat as buttons, but the other two modes did not.
- What gamepad are you using; how many buttons does it have and how many thumbsticks
GameCube controller connected via 3-in-1 Magic Joy Box from Mayflash
2 Thumbsticks
6 Buttons
2 Sliders
1 Hat
- What version of the game you have (Steam, GamesPlanet, retail [please specify country], etc)
Steam
- What operating system you have (XP, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7, etc)
Windows 7 64 bit (I'm on a laptop, Lenovo T510)

Extra
Here is my binds for Trine 1, where my gamepad worked fine in Flight Mode.

Code: Select all

joystick_x_axis = axis_throttle
joystick_y_axis = axis_rudder
controller_type = 105
camera_move_forward = joy-up
camera_move_backward = joy-down
camera_move_left = joy-left
camera_move_right = joy-right
quit = joy-but-2
screenshot = f11
console_toggle = f8
execute = joy-but-2
run_script_20 = joy-but-6
run_script_21 = joy-but-5
wizard_break_object = joy-but-3
wizard_draw_levitate_1 = joy-pov-left
wizard_draw_levitate_2 = joy-pov-right
thief_attack_current_weapon = joy-throttle-any,joy-rudder-any
thief_use_rope = joy-but-3
thief_select_normal_arrow = joy-pov-left
thief_select_fire_arrow = joy-pov-right
thief_ninja_time = joy-but-2
warrior_attack_current_weapon = joy-but-2
warrior_attack_sword = joy-pov-left
warrior_attack_hammer = joy-pov-right
warrior_charge = joy-but-3
warrior_shield_throw = joy-throttle-any,joy-rudder-any
warrior_object_pickup = joy-but-4
open_upgrade = joy-but-7
jump = joy-but-1
open_pause_menu = joy-but-8
menu_select = joy-but-1
menu_special_1 = joy-but-4
menu_special_2 = joy-but-3
binds_v106 = 1

EDIT: Here is a video of what's happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyLsH-Wzx0

fb_jlarja

Re: Trine PC gamepad configuration help

Postby fb_jlarja » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Slaughtz, sorry to hear about your problem. There are some familiar elements here and some weirder stuff. Let's see if we can get things work.

Slaughtz wrote:The controller works fine, it seems, except for two things. Whenever I go to change my binds for my controller it registers "Axis 5" as constantly being pressed, so I have to somehow beat the registering of that button by spamming the actual button I want. I don't even know where Axis 5 is on my game pad.

You should be able to use Windows' "Set up USB game controllers" dialog to find out about axises, buttons and point-of-view hats. Could Axis 5 perhaps be one of the sliders? You may need to set them to center position instead of either end.

Slaughtz wrote:I think this constant registering of "Axis 5" has also caused major cursor lag when I enabled the use of multiple mice and keyboards (which I did so I could have control over my mouse at the beginning screen, where the cursor would get stuck in the upper left of the screen.) I've since had to disable that because the lag was unbearable and I could eventually move my cursor just fine with minimal lag after pressing tab and enter at the start screen.

I don't think the lag was caused by gamepad. Input is read once per frame, and even if the axis was spammed at USB polling frequency, that's still only 125 times per second. More likely you are just noticing one extra frame of input delay that enabling multiple keyboard and mouse mode causes.

Slaughtz wrote:The second problem is that the 4 directional gamepad (hat) on the controller wont register as buttons on Trine 2 where they previously did on Trine.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to convert hat input to button input, though Configure Controls menu does that automatically in some cases. I did post some more advanced configuration instructions to other thread (http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4222), so if you're ok with editing configuration files, we can probably work out proper bindings (and in that case, converting POV hat to buttons isn't that hard anymore. Hard part is stepping from warm and fuzzy configuration menu to hard and cold Notepad :wink: ).

By the way, thanks for very thorough explanations. Made answering your questions a lot easier.

Hope this helps, let me know, if you wish to try editing bindings files and need some extra help with those.

-JLarja

Slaughtz

Re: Trine 2 PC gamepad help (GameCube controller)

Postby Slaughtz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi JL.

I tested out the use of my LR sliders in-game and it seems that's what those axises were. I believe Axis 5 is my R-Slider and Axis 6 is my L-Slider. I tried using these in Trine 1 and the use was shoddy and unreliable - and I noticed that when it did bind, it would say "slider-any" at the end, seeming to indicate that it would register any amount of pressure detected. Could it be Trine 2 is overly sensitive to this? When I go to configure gamepad settings on windows, the sliders are detected as precisely those, sliders, and they don't seem to register when at rest. My configure gamepad settings don't have and option to calibrate the sliders or adjust how they register, only for my joysticks.

I have no problem going into configuration files to convert POV-hat into buttons and that's something I'd like to do.

Thanks

--Here's a video of my windows gamepad configuration menu, if it helps--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ySRYFqRxI

EDIT: I've tried a 360 Controller emulator (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/) and it worked way better than expected. Only problem is that I cannot bind the D-Pad in-game to something, which I need to do because of the absence of two trigger buttons on the GC controller. If I can get the controls similar to how I had them in Trine 1, that would be swell, since I beat the game (granted, on easy mode) with them like that.

EDIT: Well, what I said in my previous edit might have worked if the game didn't seem to freeze up while playing Trine 2 with the emulator. The best option I see is playing Trine 2 without the emulator in Analog mode, if the Axis 5/6 problem can somehow be resolved.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Slaughtz wrote:Hi JL.

I tested out the use of my LR sliders in-game and it seems that's what those axises were. I believe Axis 5 is my R-Slider and Axis 6 is my L-Slider. I tried using these in Trine 1 and the use was shoddy and unreliable - and I noticed that when it did bind, it would say "slider-any" at the end, seeming to indicate that it would register any amount of pressure detected. Could it be Trine 2 is overly sensitive to this? When I go to configure gamepad settings on windows, the sliders are detected as precisely those, sliders, and they don't seem to register when at rest. My configure gamepad settings don't have and option to calibrate the sliders or adjust how they register, only for my joysticks.

Trine 2 doesn't recognize sliders as anything special, they are just axises (I should go back and check what DirectInput docs say about this. It's been quite some time since I wrote the code and back then we didn't have any gamepads or joysticks with sliders at the office).

Based on your video I believe that slider at rest are actually acting like an axis turned to extreme. So for Trine 2 to detect slider at rest (or not detect it at controller config menu) it should be near the middle (there's quite large dead zone, maybe as large as 50 %. I don't have the code at hand so I'm not quite sure. Anyway, somewhere around middle should be accurate enough). You could try that in Configure Controls menu first but if it doesn't work, there's more instructions below.

Slaughtz wrote:I have no problem going into configuration files to convert POV-hat into buttons and that's something I'd like to do.

In case you haven't already, take a look at this message in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4222#p18738 . There are instructions to create override binds. The files are more or less plain text, but some details are hard to decipher. If you look at GUI binds or thief binds however, you see this line:

EmulatedElement = Button, JoystickPOVHat1

That converts the first (number 1) point-of-view to four buttons that can be referenced with keyword EmulatedX (see thief and GUI binds for an example). Note that there can be several emulated elements lines. On thief, for example, there's only one, so hat buttons are Emulated1 to Emulated4. In GUI binds there's first emulated mouse pointer (Emulated1), so hat buttons aren Emulated2 to Emulated5. If not present already, you should add this line to all the binds files where you need it. Also, take a note of other uses of POV hats, mainly lines:

moveDirection =       JoystickPOVHat1

in all character binds files. You should delete these or comment them out (by adding # to the beginning of line), if you plan to use POV hat for something else than moving (also remove EmulatedXs that point to POV hat, if they would otherwise interfere with your bindings).

If you wish, you can also make POV hat act like pair of axises (see wizard binds). However, as stated in the other post, there will be no error messages if you do something wrong, so you probably want to keep it as simple as possible.

Hope this helps. As far as the Configure Controls menu goes, your (and other) post has given me several ideas on how to improve it (which I should have time to do at the latest before the expansion is released, but hopefully long before that).

-JLarja

Slaughtz

Postby Slaughtz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 am

Hey JL

With the guidance of your bind guide I'm able to play just fine. The only way it could be better is if I could make use of the sliders (would improve wizard game-play and voice communication considerably.) A minor complaint of my game experience so far is that aiming with the Thief (CStick) seems less 'smooth' than it was on Trine 1 and what feels like some inconsistency with the grappling hook which I feel less able to control than in Trine 1. Perhaps these two things just take some getting used to, though. Overall I've been enjoying this game so far, loving the new puzzles that are much more challenging than the original Trine.

Thanks

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”