Trine 2 Voice chat/Audio issue

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
FluidLogic

Trine 2 Voice chat/Audio issue

Postby FluidLogic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 am

Ok Frozenbyte Community, I need your help!

Here's the gist of it. I purchased Trine 2 recently (loved Trine!), and my wife and best friend did the same. We obviously wanted to check out the multi-player but we're having an issue. I'll describe the problem as best I can, below.

Issue: When we play with two players there are no issues present. However, when we add a third player to the online multi-player game the voice chat begins to cut out for all three players, and they can barely be heard due to that. It's like it's picking up every 3rd or 4th word. Can't duplicate this in any other game we share, currently. I'll try to list the pertinent conditional factors below.

1) My wife and I are in the same room, on the same router/LAN connection. My friend lives out of state and is connecting to our hosted game from outside the LAN (although we've tried to have him host the same recurring problem persists).

2) All three of us are using Steam copies of Trine 2.

3) All three of us have used other multi-player Steam games recently with no noticeable voice chat issues (i.e. we tested it on Magicka, which is also a Steam game with voice chat), so I can pretty safely say it's not an issue exclusively with Steam voice-chat.

4) There are no significant hardware/firmware differences in any of the three PCs. All three PCs are high-end gaming machines running Windows 7, with fairly similar specs.

5) We can use my Ventrilo server for voice chat with no noticeable issue, except that there is an echo when using it (for all 3 players) as there is no easy way to disable voice chat in Steam. This seemingly causes a redundant audio signal and echos everything said. So I don't suspect a bandwidth/latency issue, as it would likely occur when using Ventrilo as well. (All connections involved in this are 12Mbps/2Mbps lines)

6) We've played around with every configuration we could find in both Trine2 and Steam's voice settings, but without any success. It's so weird that this issue does not occur at all with only 2 player in game. We can hear each other no problem until the third player joins.

I'm at a loss here. I half expect it's something simple that I'm just not seeing, and I'm not entirely sure how the voice chat relationship works out with Steam/Trine 2. So any help you guys can give me is appreciated.

Thanks!

FB_Esa

Re: Trine 2 Voice chat/Audio issue

Postby FB_Esa » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:27 am

FluidLogic wrote:5) We can use my Ventrilo server for voice chat with no noticeable issue, except that there is an echo when using it (for all 3 players) as there is no easy way to disable voice chat in Steam. This seemingly causes a redundant audio signal and echos everything said. So I don't suspect a bandwidth/latency issue, as it would likely occur when using Ventrilo as well. (All connections involved in this are 12Mbps/2Mbps lines)

You can actually disable voice chat by changing it from "voice activation" to "push-to-talk". This isnt really a real disable but it should prevent Steam from crashing in to your ventrilo party :)

Something that i didnt get from your post (or missed it): Did you use Steam voice chat or Trine 2's own voice chat?
You can enable/disable Trine 2's voice chat from the menu.

I'll forward this to our coders if they would have some ideas what causes this. Hope the "fix" above enables you to play the game while this issue is being resolved.

FluidLogic

Postby FluidLogic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:06 pm

FB_esa -

Thanks for the suggestion, but we actually tried disabling all three in sequential order. Started out with only Trine 2's voice chat enabled (both w/ and w/out push-to-talk enabled), but the distortion and voice cut-outs were still present. Next we tried disabling (turning down, disabling push-to-talk) all but Steam's voice chat, with the same results. Last we tried to run Ventrilo, with trine's chat disabled, and Steam's chat functions disabled and turned down. This obviously eliminated the cut-outs and distortion, but left us with a redundant audio signal echo, that may have been more annoying than the cut-outs xD

Near as I can tell, one or both "disabling" functions in Steam/Trine 2 are not functioning correctly, which is I think producing the redundant input signals and causing an echo using Ventrilo. If we could find a way to truly disable both Steam/Trine voice chat, then I think the Ventrilo application would function correctly.

The weirdest thing about this is that everything works perfectly using Trine 2's or Steam's voice chat, until we add the third player to the multi-player game. Then the issue occurs immediately. *Throws hands up in air*

Thanks for the response though. I appreciate the attention Frozenbyte is paying to me. I got a response on the Steam forums from a member of the dev team as well. Thanks for great games!

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 am

Hello FluidLogic

We tried to reproduce this issue, but were unable to (with 3 players using in-game VOIP & push-to-talk).
How is your framerate on the pc's while playing ? Having quickly consulted one of the coders this could have an impact.

FluidLogic

Postby FluidLogic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 pm

FB_JussiE -

No issues with framerate I'm afraid. I have a question regarding the testing method though.

The way our network is set up; my wife and I are connecting on the same network/router. Could this be the source of the interruption? What I mean is, when you're testing/reproducing the environment, are there 2 people connecting on the same router, and a third person outside the network. I ask because I'm wondering about the ability of whatever VoIP protocol is carrying the signal to handle multiple signals on the same network. Maybe it's crossing signals somewhere, almost like a Ethernet cabling cross-talk error.

We cannot reproduce this issue in any other game, even under almost identical circumstances (i.e. Steam game, VoIP, 3 players).

Thanks for the assistance though. Far as I know, my friend is not having any framerate issues either.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”