Trine 2 Linux 30 FPS max?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
obedlink

Trine 2 Linux 30 FPS max?

Postby obedlink » Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 am

Hi

I have a question
why trine 2 has 30 FPS max in linux?
I've the Vsync deactivated in Catalyst Control Center and Trine 2 and the FPS max of Trine 2 is 30 FPS, The FPS Cap Menu does not work.

are you working in a patch that solve this problem?

spectatorx

Re: Trine 2 Linux 30 FPS max?

Postby spectatorx » Wed May 01, 2013 10:21 am

I think it is not because of some magic cap but because of software/hardware configuration.

Could you tell me your hardware specification?

At my machine under windows trine 2 is running with stable 60fps with aa disabled or just FXAA enabled. When i enable highest preset of aa fps drops to half of it. Under linux without AA game is running a bit above 30fps, so linux version performs worse than windows one. But that's just in my case, do not know how at others.
An interesting blog that i've found out some time ago:
http://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/

obedlink

Postby obedlink » Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm

my spec:
Core i5 2500K 3.30Ghz
Motherboard MSI ZA-GD65
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Catalyst 13.4 installed.

not import how I configure the game, with minimal resolution, detail or AA, the game always run at 30FPS

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Thu May 02, 2013 7:33 am

obedlink wrote:Hi

I have a question
why trine 2 has 30 FPS max in linux?
I've the Vsync deactivated in Catalyst Control Center and Trine 2 and the FPS max of Trine 2 is 30 FPS, The FPS Cap Menu does not work.

are you working in a patch that solve this problem?

There's a setting in options.txt called TargetSmooth30FPS that defaults to true on Linux. It's because in our testing on Linux, running at unlimited FPS often lead to X hogging all the CPU and causing uneven frame rates and stuttering and clicks in audio and stuff like that (it depends on computer specs and settings of course, but we went with safe defaults). The options.txt is in ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2 directory, if I recall correctly.

-JLarja

spectatorx

Postby spectatorx » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am

Ok, let's analyze it, i'll be the case xD

At first, specification:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 B35 2,[email protected],4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: MSI Radeon HD6850 Cyclone Power Edition
PSU: OCZ ZS550
Disk Drive: HDD
Audio: Creative X-Fi titanium

Windows 7 x64 SP1:
AMD Catalyst 13.5 beta 2

Ubuntu 13.04 amd64:
AMD Catalyst 13.4 proprietary driver

And here are some screenshots.

From linux, loading screen of trine 2 with high fps:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =142725635

And here in actual game screenshot, linux:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/884 ... 9B1D6D734/

The same scene under windows:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/884 ... 181C1D313/

Here are game settings, same on both systems:
http://img.techpowerup.org/130502/36.png

http://img.techpowerup.org/130502/51.png

It seems linux version performs much, much slower than windows.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 am

spectatorx wrote:Ok, let's analyze it, i'll be the case xD

[...]

It seems linux version performs much, much slower than windows.

Do note that with double buffering and vsync enabled, a rig that can do 59.999 FPS will only achieve 30. I can't really say whether Linux version has those enabled (it's at least partially up to driver too), but if you get steady FPS with hardly any fluctuation, you are probably artificially limited. To measure raw FPS at all accurately, you must disable vsync.

(For actual gameplay, there's a setting called "ReduceInputLag" (I think) that switches triple buffering on and off (lag is reduced with double buffering at the cost of FPS). You can try which one feels better for you. I don't know whether it works on Linux though.)

That said, Linux version certainly isn't faster than Windows version. The drivers are of lower quality, some compromises were made in game for compatibility etc.. In short, Linux version is less polished. Also, you can't accurately compare between Windows and Linux with just any quality settings. Some don't have effect on Linux (note that quality levels in launcher affect quite many settings in options.txt), so you may not get same quality even if the launcher setting are the same.

-JLarja

spectatorx

Postby spectatorx » Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 am

Ok, thx for all info you gave to us ;-)

Usually i have vsync enabled from driver and extra directly in games because i just hate tearing. When disabled vsync only in game there was no improvements, had to do so also in driver, it gave to me significant fps boost.

Interesting thing about reduceinputlag... when i enabled it game was starting not in fullscreen mode, if i wanted to run game in fullscreen with reduceinputlag enabled i had to set forcefullscreenwidth and forcefullscreenheight.

P.S.
If you are planning any more patch I WOULD LOVE to see in it benchmark tool with some scene heavily using physics and various effects. Let's be honest, Trine 2 with maximum quality settings is good material for benchmark.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 am

spectatorx wrote:If you are planning any more patch I WOULD LOVE to see in it benchmark tool with some scene heavily using physics and various effects. Let's be honest, Trine 2 with maximum quality settings is good material for benchmark.

We are going to release at least one more patch, but there won't be benchmarking tool or scene in it. We have different tools for internal use and Trine 2 isn't really that interesting benchmark for modern graphics cards. The engine isn't deterministic either, which makes it even less suitable (lots of runs needed for accurate results).

-JLarja

obedlink

Postby obedlink » Tue May 07, 2013 5:08 am

set false in TargetSmooth30FPS and FPScapenable, I have more FPS!! thanks

sverro2

Postby sverro2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Looks so much better now. That FPS cap is horrible. First I played at 30FPS, now I play above 60 on a GTS 450, max settings without AA (around 70FPS) on beautifull FULLHD. Shouldn't the default setting be changed? My sister has a computer with a lot slower processor, but after changing the "targetSmooth30fps" to false the games also runs a lot faster without any issues.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:32 am

sverro2 wrote:Looks so much better now. That FPS cap is horrible. First I played at 30FPS, now I play above 60 on a GTS 450, max settings without AA (around 70FPS) on beautifull FULLHD. Shouldn't the default setting be changed? My sister has a computer with a lot slower processor, but after changing the "targetSmooth30fps" to false the games also runs a lot faster without any issues.

It was enabled by default because we had lots of audio issues and some less serious issues in our testing. Trine and X were hogging all available CPU power, if run unlimited. Since enabling FPS cap probably isn't something that people would know to try to fix e.g. audio problems, it was decided that it's better to enable the cap by default.

I don't think there ever was any problems with quad-core CPUs (perhaps dual-core with hyper-threading would work too) and it's also possible that drivers + stuff are better now. The problems may also have been worse on some distros and desktop managers. Linux is a lot more varied ecosystem than Windows or Mac, so we really had to default for pretty conservative defaults to be more compatible with various hardware and software combinations.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine 2”