[Linux] Goblin Menace - Deadly Dustland Post-Scorpion sound

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
xolotl

[Linux] Goblin Menace - Deadly Dustland Post-Scorpion sound

Postby xolotl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:57 am

I've noticed an odd bug in Deadly Dustland where once you get to the bit with the giant scorpion, sound seems to be wonky for the rest of the level. Most characters' sounds don't seem to trigger, it feels as if the audio "camera" has been pulled far away (though ambient sounds are at the seemingly-proper level). Amadeus' summonings only have a sound effect some of the time, most footsteps aren't audible, etc. When I found the poem chest later in the level, the poem narration sound didn't trigger either.

Sound seemed to fix itself once a new level was loaded.

I'm pretty sure I fiddled with the ingame volume, to see if that would help, after I got this the first time... I just did a second playthrough of the level to get all the XP and forgot to try that, though, so I'm not sure. I also haven't yet tried quitting to the main menu and then restarting the level that way, to see if sounds will come back.

This is running on a Fedora 17 x86_64 machine, binary nVidia graphics... emu10k1 ALSA driver (no Pulseaudio, etc). That's the only level where I've seen that behavior - the total rest of the game (including the new Dwarven Caverns level) have played more or less perfectly. Running off of the version from Steam, so whatever version is current on there as of June 14. Let me know if I can provide some extra info...

FB_JussiE

Re: [Linux] Goblin Menace - Deadly Dustland Post-Scorpion so

Postby FB_JussiE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 am

Hello xolotl!

Unfortunately there are some audio issues in the Linux version, some know, some new to us like this one that we'd like to fix, but can't seem to find the time to do so. The main problem with Linux sounds in Trine 2 is that it uses different audio engine than the rest of the supported platforms, thus something that works fine on all other platforms (that unsurpisingly get a lot more testing time combined), can be broken on Linux.

Thanks for letting us know about the issue and we'll try to get it fixed at some point!
Cannot make any promises how ever :)

Return to “Trine 2”