Trouble getting Trine 2 to start

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
BurningNight

Trouble getting Trine 2 to start

Postby BurningNight » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:00 am

Hi, me and a friend of mine have recently purchased Trine 2 from the Humble Indie Bundle. It's working fine for me, but my friend is having a lot of issues with getting the game to start. When he tries to launch the game, the Trine 2 Launcher shows up, but when he clicks "Start Trine 2", nothing happens. When he does this, Steam says that he's playing Trine 2 until he closes out of Trine2_32bit.exe in the Processes section of the windows task manager.

We've been spending the past hour or so searching the internet for answers, and we've found a few, but none work. The most common "solution" to this issue that we've found is to go to "Program Files (x86) < Steam < SteamApps < common < Trine 2" and run "trine2_32bit" as an administrator, but that doesn't seem to work at all.

Why am I writing this post instead of him? I'm more articulate with my words and I feel I can get the information across more efficiently. We really need help on this, thanks.

AnniFB

Re: Trouble getting Trine 2 to start

Postby AnniFB » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:57 am

Has your friend tried the DRM free version that came with the Bundle? Does that one work?

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am

Hi BurningNight!

Another thing that might be worth a shot if your friend is using Windows 8 64bit is to try the run the game in compatibility mode. With the latest windows 8 patch there were some issues appearing with the game, but for most they've been resolved by doing so.

spectatorx

Postby spectatorx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Tell us your hardware/software specifications: cpu, gpu, amount of ram, psu and operating system.

Running as an administrator should be basic thing to do with every single game, it prevents from really a lot of problems with games.

Try first with removing file options.txt which is located in here:
C:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\Roaming\Trine2\

If this still will not help download latest available versions of your gpu, soundcard and network card drivers (even betas, should work fine), after downloading uninstall them all at once, after uninstallation reboot your computer and install downloaded drivers.

Also go to folders:
C:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\Local\Temp\
C:\Windows\Prefetch\
C:\Windows\Temp\
and remove all files from these folders, after removing them reboot your computer.
An interesting blog that i've found out some time ago:
http://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/

Return to “Trine 2”