Why the big shift between Trine and Trine 2?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
ShortbowShinnon

Why the big shift between Trine and Trine 2?

Postby ShortbowShinnon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:01 am

I played Trine in 2008 as a demo on the PS3, I was... 12 at the time, I believe. I bought Trine when it was on sale for $1.50, in the Summer, remembering it as an obscure game from my younger years. It's now one of my favorite games of all time, and Trine 2 is not far behind it. But I have to ask, why the shift from more of an RPG-esque platformer with a few physics-based puzzles to a high fantasy platformer with a lot of puzzles? What were the design choices involved?
The reason for this question being that after I unlocked and beat Dwarven Caverns earlier today, there were a few easter eggs alluding to the original Trine; the map being quite similar to that of Trine 1, and the fact that you could at times hear piano sonata-y thing from the original Trine theme in the supporting melody in the music on the level :P

AnniFB

Re: Why the big shift between Trine and Trine 2?

Postby AnniFB » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 pm

We wanted Trine 2 to dive deeper into the fairytale setting with a greater adventure and livelier world. This affected Trine 2 puzzles making them differ from just the basic physics based puzzles. We also wanted to make the puzzles a bit more demanding so that they'd give a bit more challenge as one cannot solve all of the puzzles using the same solution over and over again.

We were able to make Trine 2 more polished by losing the RPG-elements (mainly items and mana) giving us more time for fine tuning other parts of the game. Thus we didn't need to use all of the time solving balancing issues that the items and mana would have created.

Hope this clarifies :)

Return to “Trine 2”