Trine 2 patch for Steam (2013-11-07)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
AnniFB

Trine 2 patch for Steam (2013-11-07)

Postby AnniFB » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 am

Trine 2 patch for Steam (2013-11-07) - Fixes Complete Story detection for Linux + Mac + Other minor fixes

--------------------------------------------------------
Changelog

// All platforms
Fixed issues in configure controls menu

// Windows
Fixed launcher which could open multiple Trine 2 processes
Fixed Windows XP blue screen issues
Fixed missing "Very High" option from launcher for Windows XP

// Linux
Fixed Trine 2: Complete Story detection if user owns the Trine 2: Complete Story unlock/dlc
Fixed Linux input issues and missing default bind issues
Fixed the game to attach itself to Steam even when launched outside of it
Fixed unnecessary dependencies from the Linux launcher

// Mac
Fixed Trine 2: Complete Story detection if user owns the Trine 2: Complete Story unlock/dlc
Fixed Mac input issues and missing default bind issues

Hopefully everyone can continue enjoying the game now! :)

spectatorx

Re: Trine 2 patch (2013-11-07) - Fixes Complete Story detect

Postby spectatorx » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:21 pm

That's a good news ;-) Thanks for another update.
An interesting blog that i've found out some time ago:
http://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/

Zanzahar

Postby Zanzahar » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 am

How do I download the patch without using Steam? I bought the game from Humble Store.

AnniFB

Postby AnniFB » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:42 am

Unfortunately this patch was for Steam only. We are still considering all the "when and what" questions of the patches for non-Steam versions, but probably this will still take a lot of time. Sorry about this :(

moho25

Postby moho25 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Zanzahar wrote:How do I download the patch without using Steam? I bought the game from Humble Store.

This is going to be slighty OT, but also related.

I'm one of the many people who came onto the forum after the release of Trine 2, requesting a DRM-free version. Eventually, this started to take so long, that Trine 2 fell off my radar a bit. I'm not very familiar with the Humble Bundles, so after reading this post I was a bit ecstatic, that FINALLY, I would be able to at least download this game (I'd rather have a physical disk) without DRM and without Steam (which is basically DRM). Windows version, btw, though I guess I could finally get to dual-booting Linux like I've been meaning to.

Yet, I can't. Since the Humble Bundle is only available for a limited time. :x Seriously?

I also find out via this thread that Frozenbyte has no idea (apparently) how to get patches to the folks who were lucky enough to purchase this Bundle. Uh...post the patch on your website for users to download? The "old-fashioned" way, basically.

I'm also going to offer another suggestion. The same one I offered previously on this forums. And unfortunately, it will only be able to apply to future installments of Trine. PLEASE, take a cue from Runic Games, developers of Torchlight (as one example). Have future Trine games available for download via their own website. No Steam required. That way customers who don't want to have to use a 3rd party service/software to play your games, still can. (Of course there's no reason you can't ALSO offer it on Steam.) This download via the Trine website should Implement a launcher into the game. The launcher allows the game to go online and patch updates through your servers.

Awesome. Now your customers don't need a 3rd party to play your game, AND they have it automatically patched when they choose to take the game online.

This is not a difficult concept. Honestly, I have no idea why this wasn't done for Trine 2, especially considering the multiplayer aspect. I loved Trine and really, really looked forward to playing Trine 2. But, I won't use Steam. I realize this is my decision, but I won't have a third party service controlling my access to a game that I own. Myself and others waited almost 2 years for a DRM-free version for Windows and then it is available for a limited time only!?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:49 am

Good morning

I'm not completely on the map about different Trine versions, but I think we are selling DRM free version: http://trine2.com/site/index.php?page=buy.

moho25 wrote:This is not a difficult concept. Honestly, I have no idea why this wasn't done for Trine 2, especially considering the multiplayer aspect. I loved Trine and really, really looked forward to playing Trine 2. But, I won't use Steam. I realize this is my decision, but I won't have a third party service controlling my access to a game that I own. Myself and others waited almost 2 years for a DRM-free version for Windows and then it is available for a limited time only!?

Concept isn't hard, but what you are basically suggesting is that every developer should create their own steam service. That may be OK for the big boys like EA, but would be a huge distraction for company of our size. I would much rather have developers make better games than spend time reinventing the wheel (and I don't mean just technologically. It's pretty easy to create a webpage and start selling stuff. Actually maintaining and running the store isn't).

I'm not familiar with what Runic Games is doing. Sounds like they have different priorities than us, which may just be an indication of them having some expertise that we are lacking.

We are currently in process of developing a system that will hopefully make patching easier, so in the future we could patch DRM free version without too much extra trouble whenever we create a Steam patch. It isn't purely a technical problem though, so no promises.

-JLarja

Borc

Re: Trine 2 patch for Steam (2013-11-07)

Postby Borc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:29 am

moho25

Postby moho25 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 am

Borc wrote:The gog version should be DRM-free.

http://frozenbyte.com/2013/12/trine-2-c ... n-gog-com/

Thank you for the link. As far as I can tell from the webpage, this doesn't require Steam. Can we get a confirmation on this from Frozenbyte?

http://www.gog.com/game/trine_2_complete_story

moho25

Postby moho25 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:48 am

Double post. See post below, please :roll:
Last edited by moho25 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

moho25

Postby moho25 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:48 am

fb_jlarja wrote:I'm not completely on the map about different Trine versions, but I think we are selling DRM free version: http://trine2.com/site/index.php?page=buy.

Unfortunately, not DRM-free. "Purchase Trine 2: Complete Story and instantly unlock it on Steam. Includes DRM-free version for Linux, Mac and Windows!" Steam is DRM, in my book, as they control your access to the game. It's just like Origin, for example. You may play "offline", but you play through Steam.

fb_jlarja wrote:Concept isn't hard, but what you are basically suggesting is that every developer should create their own steam service. That may be OK for the big boys like EA, but would be a huge distraction for company of our size. I would much rather have developers make better games than spend time reinventing the wheel (and I don't mean just technologically. It's pretty easy to create a webpage and start selling stuff. Actually maintaining and running the store isn't).

I agree about better games, 100%. But, it doesn't have to be "Steam", and for a the record, I won't purchase I single game from EA, lol. A "launcher" is not "Steam", though. Steam is an entire platform and social media service. All the launcher does is provide a GUI to connect to your servers for patching. It's one step away from "go onto FB's website and click on the link to download the patch".

fb_jlarja wrote:I'm not familiar with what Runic Games is doing. Sounds like they have different priorities than us, which may just be an indication of them having some expertise that we are lacking.

They were founded in 2008 as a relatively small developer, but were bought out I think in 2009-2010. They have released Torchlight 1 and 2. Torchlight 2 is widely considered a better dungeon crawler than the most recent release of Diablo.

fb_jlarja wrote:We are currently in process of developing a system that will hopefully make patching easier, so in the future we could patch DRM free version without too much extra trouble whenever we create a Steam patch. It isn't purely a technical problem though, so no promises.

Glad to hear this.

Thank you for responding :]

whoami

Postby whoami » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Unfortunately, not DRM-free. "Purchase Trine 2: Complete Story and instantly unlock it on Steam. Includes DRM-free version for Linux, Mac and Windows!" Steam is DRM, in my book, as they control your access to the game. It's just like Origin, for example. You may play "offline", but you play through Steam.

The widget displayed is a HumbleStore widget. If not otherwise noted, e.g. only "unlock it on Steam", the HumbleStore usually provides a DRM-free copy if they tell so. You can download this copy but you can also redeem a Steam key in order to unlock your game on Steam. Details can be found on http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/1384100-how-do-i-link-my-steam-account-to-humble-bundle-and-redeem-my-games-. I should add, that I didnd't try this, since I don't use Steam.
I got my copy of "Trine 2 - The complete story" via the Humble-Indie Bundle 9, which contained a DRM-free version for Windows, Mac and Linux, but I purchased "Trine 2 - Collectors edition" earlier via a HumbleStore Widget on the Frozenbyte site. For this I got DRM-free versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux and the possibility to redeem a Steam-key. I finished both versions on Linux without having a steam-account. So, too cut a long story short: Yes, Frozenbyte is selling DRM-free versions of "Trine 2: The Complete Story".

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 am

moho25 wrote:
fb_jlarja wrote:I'm not completely on the map about different Trine versions, but I think we are selling DRM free version: http://trine2.com/site/index.php?page=buy.

As whoami already responded, you get the Steam code in addition to DRM free version, or that's at least how I would interpret this (there's really no point for us to sell Steam codes, especially with different price, when you can get one from Steam directly).

-JLarja

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Humble widget version includes both Steam key and DRM-free versions. GoG.com also has DRM-free version(s). In addition we have just released Trine 2 in Humble Store as well, which also includes DRM-free versions.

http://trine2.com/site/index.php?page=buy
http://www.gog.com/game/trine_2_complete_story
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/tr ... storefront

It's true that our DRM-free versions have come after a quite long time from the Steam release, and we are sorry about this. As JLarja stated, in the future we will get all patches easier so we are able to support also DRM-free versions.

vantur

Postby vantur » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:16 am

Hi!
I dont know if this is the best place to post this... but I have a new pavilion x2 laptop running windows 8 64 bit ..for whatever reason when installed trine using the latest patch it states something like cannot find my localization or something like that on the title screen.. no matter what language.. if I REMOVE THE PROGRAM and Restart.. again Ihave the same problem... only way trine2 works for me is if i go into advanced and join/select the last betas in steam...

Funny thing too.. trine 2 doesn't recognize my synaptics HID touch pad. it doesnt identify any clicks or anything .. only way it will recognize clicking if I hook up an regular usb mouse...

once I have a regular mouse hooked up then I can use my touchpad without issues..
thanks for your help

vantur

Postby vantur » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:16 am

Hi!
I dont know if this is the best place to post this... but I have a new pavilion x2 laptop running windows 8 64 bit ..for whatever reason when installed trine using the latest patch it states something like cannot find my localization or something like that on the title screen.. no matter what language.. if I REMOVE THE PROGRAM and Restart.. again Ihave the same problem... only way trine2 works for me is if i go into advanced and join/select the last betas in steam...

Funny thing too.. trine 2 doesn't recognize my synaptics HID touch pad. it doesnt identify any clicks or anything .. only way it will recognize clicking if I hook up an regular usb mouse...

once I have a regular mouse hooked up then I can use my touchpad without issues..
thanks for your help

spectatorx

Postby spectatorx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 am

Better would be to start new thread ;-) But anyway....
Install all updates available in control panel/windows update. After it go to your laptop support website and download latest available synaptics drivers. Perform file integrity check for the game in steam. Also remove file options.txt located in %APPDATA%\Trine2\ (Windows) or ~/Library/Trine2/ (Mac).

If all these will not help uninstall the game, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ folder and remove Trine 2 folder, after this redownload the game. If this will not work.... wait for developer's response or contact Frozenbyte support ;-)
An interesting blog that i've found out some time ago:
http://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 am

Having dealt with Synaptics drivers recently, I've pretty much come to expect incompatibilities and weird stuff. Trine 2 doesn't try to detect pointer hardware, so if touchpad tries to be clever (and fails), there's a good change it won't quite work. That said, there are some general settings that probably don't have very good defaults for modern laptops (they were ok few years ago, but things change).

You could try setting "UseAbsoluteMouseMode" to true in options.txt (copypaste %appdata%\Trine2 to explorer and you should see Trine's config folder with options.txt file). This may or may not help. Changing "UseOSPointerBallistics" to false may also help (change "UseAbsoluteMouseMode" to false first). You can also try multiple keyboards and mice mode, but that may well cause other problems.

-JLarja / Frozenbyte

Return to “Trine 2”