Trine 2 controller config FAQ

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
RiikkaFB

Trine 2 controller config FAQ

Postby RiikkaFB » Tue May 27, 2014 12:07 pm

This was originally posted by Joel on the old Steam's forums on 2011, but I decided to copy it here as it still has a lot of useful information.

Trine 2 controller configuration FAQ / how-to v1

1. Simple

1.1. Where are keyboard and gamepad binds saved to and how can I modify them?

All binds included are in game's compressed data files and are not directly viewable or modifiable. To make custom modifications, you must first edit the binds in controller config menu. This makes the game save modified version to UserBinds folder under game's configuration folder.

1.2. Where is game's configuration folder?

Games configuration folder is on Windows systems located in %appdata%\Trine2. This usually corresponds to something like Users/johnsmith/AppData/Roaming/Trine2. Easiest way to navigate to the folder is to just copy paste %appdata%\Trine2 to explorers address bar.

On OS X systems configuration folder is in users home folder's Library/Trine2 folder.

1.3. So what are all these files in UserBinds folder?

For every controller that has been configured, there are four files: one for each character and one for GUI. Files are named like "User_Custom_[index_]GUI_Binds_for_[Controller_name][_Controller_ID].txt". Some parts may be missing: Keyboards and mice don't have [index_] and [_Controller_ID] parts. Note that for keyboards and mice there will be separate files.

1.4. Some thumb stick on my gamepad work backwards. How can I fix this?

First you need to use game's Controller Configuration menu and change some binding, so that game will generate user custom binds files to UserBinds folder. Then for each of controller's four bindings files, do the following:

1) Open file and find section labeled [Controller]. It should look something like this:

[Controller]

IDNumber = 1
IDString = Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 [C219046D-0000-0000-0000-504944564944ID4]
ControllerType = 3
ControllerSubType = 6

2) To the end of [Controller] section, add following line:

InvertAxis = JoystickAxis3

If you need to invert more axises, or some other axis than 3, just add more lines and replace 3 with whatever value you wish (numbering starts from 1. Usually left thumb stick is axises 1 and 2, right thumb stick 3 and 4, but there may be triggers or some other stuff there too, or they may be completele different). Note that both labels "InvertAxis" and "JoystickAxis" are case sensitive. Make sure to write them correctly.

Extra: Due to a bug, adding InvertAxis for any character will invert the axis everywhere else too, unless you are using multiple keyboards and mouse mode. There is a fix for this (it is needed for mkam mode, thus enabled there), but we don't want to unnecessarily apply it without some more testing. It will probably get applied at some point though.

1.5. I wish to add another key to jump/move left/something else

First you need to use game's Controller Configuration menu and change some binding, so that game will generate user custom binds files to UserBinds folder. Then for each of controller's four bindings files, do the following:

1) Open file and find section labeled [Bindings]. There should be lines looking something like this:

jump = 1, Button, Undefined, 2
sword = 1, Button, Undefined, 0
hammer = 1, Button, Undefined, 0

This is the long binding form, but we can use shorter and easier to read form here.

2) Add line corresponding to action you wish to Bind. For example, if you wish to make your character jump from "U", add line

jump = KeyU

For gamepads, this could be

jump = JoystickButton3

Return to “Trine 2”