For troubleshooting issues, please skip straight to the Troubleshooting section below. If you can't find a solution for your problem there, please contact us at Support [at] Frozenbyte [dot] com with a detailed description of your issue. Remember to tell us your operating system and other system specifications as well.
I hope this is helpful. Cheers all!
DOES TRINE 2 HAVE MULTIPLAYER?
Yes! Trine has both online and local co-op that supports up to three players at the same time. Unfortunately, Trine 2 does not have LAN support though.
DOES TRINE 2 HAVE CONTROLLER SUPPORT?
Yes! For controllers, we usually recommend using an Xbox controller for the game which are automatically recognized by the operating system, but any kind of USB controller for computers that has two controller sticks should work well. Though all controllers may need rebinding through the in-game menu.
This might be a bit partial opinion, but I'd say most accurate and usually easiest controller would be a keyboard and separate mouse combination. It's understandable if you want to play with a controller but I'd recommend to consider playing with a keyboard and mouse, as it's usually faster and more accurate.
CAN I PLAY TRINE 2 BEFORE I PLAY THE FIRST TRINE?
Both games are designed to work on their own. Trine 2 takes place after the first Trine, but it is not a direct continuation and the story should be easy enough to follow even if you have not played the first game. However, there are some references you might miss if you have not played the first Trine. Both Trine and Trine 2 do have their own, separate story lines, both games have many unique levels and the characters have different skills - so I'd say both are definitely worth a try, no matter which order you are playing them!
I have listed some of the most common issues below. If you can't find an answer there, please also check out this link. If you still have not found an answer to your issue, please contact us through Support [at] Frozenbyte [dot] com with a detailed description of your issue. Remember to tell us your operating system and other system information.
Please check out this thread. If you can't find a solution for your issue there, please contact us at Support [at] Frozenbyte [dot] com and remember to include all the following information:
- the error code you may have received
- the net log output (trine2.log) (insturctions how to get this in the thread I linked)
- what game settings you are using (resolution, graphics detail level, etc)
- your operating system and other computer information
- your location (country/city)
- your ISP and bandwidth/connection
WHY DOES MY GAME NOT LAUNCH?
Here are a few things you could try:
- 1. Try to launch the game as an administrator (in Windows: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Trine 2\trine2_32bit.exe )
2. You can also try to launch Steam as an administrator as Trine 2 needs access to write when it launches.
3. Try to launch the .exe in compatibility mode (e.g. Win 7 / Vista / XP SP3).
4. Update the graphics card drivers and DirectX.
5. Try to verify the game cache in Steam (right click on Trine 2 in Steam Library, then click on properties and choose local files-tab and the button to verify integrity of game cache should be there).
6. Try to launch the game without any other programs running in the background.
7. If none of the above help, you could try the following: Right-click Trine 2 in your Steam Library → Select Properties → Click "Set Launch Options" → Write the following line inside the text box (remember to include the minus sign as well): -disableMinidump
If it still doesn't work could you check these folders:
If those have any logs, could you send them to us via email Support [at] Frozenbyte [dot] com along with the full description of your problem and your system information.
WHY DOES THE GAME NOT WORK ON MY OS X?
Unfortunately, starting from May 15th 2014, Trine 2 is no longer supported on OS X 10.6 and older versions anymore. However, we have kept the option to use the previous build. With the instructions below, you can return the game to the state it was right before, and this should cause the game to work fine again!
Enabling the old build:
1) Select Trine 2 from your Steam Library
2) Right click on Trine 2 and open Properties
3) Go to Beta tab
4) Select beta: "old_v200_b1 - Old v2.00 build 1"
5) Press Close
6) If Steam doesn't start downloading data, Verify integrity of game cache from Trine 2 Steam Properties -> Local files
7) Now you have the old v.2.00 (build 0) in use which was released on January 30th, 2014
WHY DOES THE GOBLIN MENACE IN-APP PURCHASE NOT WORK?
Unfortunately, there is a problem with our In-App purchase on Mac OS X versions. We have been trying to solve this, but unfortunately I can't promise if we will manage to do that. We apologize for this inconvenience.
We recommend getting the game through Steam. However, if you have already purchased Trine 2 through App Store and do not wish to buy it again, please contact us at Support [at] Frozenbyte [dot] com. Please include your App Store receipt in your email.
ERROR CODE 51 ON STEAM
This issue can be caused by various backround applications interfering with Steam. Please see this link for more information and possible solutions.
Check out this link for instructions about how to configure your controllers.
GENERAL RENDING INFORMATION - ANTI-ALIASING, OVERHEATING, INPUT LAG, ETC...
Check out this thread.