Trine 2 on Shield Tablet got corrupted, unable to launch

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
pigah

Re: Trine 2 on Shield Tablet got corrupted, unable to launch

Postby pigah » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:15 am

Happened again to me in the Icewarden... Quit from the main menu, game hung on starting the next time, then save was corrupted on next start

Trine version 2.20
Trine Build 124
Android Build LR22C.29082_493.9700

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:12 am

We have managed to reproduce this issue and it looks like this issue is connected to the Shield Tablet's screen auto-rotation while the device is in sleep mode. We're still looking into this and unfortunately we don't have a proper fix yet, but we do have two possible workarounds that have worked well in our tests.

If you're experiencing an issue with not being able to load a previous save file, please try out the workarounds below.

We'd also love to hear back from you whether the suggestions worked or not. :) If they don't help for some reason, please mention if you're using Shield Tablet or some other device and mention the game's version, build number and your android version (instructions in my previous post).

First: Please make sure you have the newest version of the game

It's recommended you do this first to ensure you have the newest version of the application. Here's how to do this with the preinstalled version that comes with the Shield Tablet:

• Make sure your device is connected to the internet
  • Navigate to the Shield Tablet's Settings
  • Select About Device/Tablet
  • Select Software Update
  • Repeat above steps until there are no more updates; if there were more than one updates queued, it may be needed to do this several times.

Workaround 1: Make sure you close the application properly every time you stop playing

This is the preferred method. If the application is closed properly at the end of each gaming session, the save files should be safe. Here is how to do this:

• Note: Just pressing the Home button to exit the application is not enough, so it's highly recommended to exit the game by closing the whole application with the instructions below.
  • Exit to the game's main menu (according to our tests, this first step is not necessarily needed, but it's still recommended to do this just in case)
  • Open your Shield Tablet's application list by pressing the Recently Used Apps -button at the bottom of the device on the right. (Here's a picture.)
  • Press the "X" that appears in the upper right corner of the application after a second or two.
  • Now the application should be closed properly and it's safe to put to the device to sleep mode.

Workaround 2: Turn screen auto-rotation off in landscape mode before launching the game

It looks like this issue does not occur if the Shield Tablet's screen auto-rotation is turned off in landscape mode before launching the game. However, turning the auto-rotation back on if the application is not closed properly (see Workaround 1) may still cause the save corruption issue, so I only recommend this option if you don't wish to use the device in portrait mode at all.

• Use finger or stylus to bring down the drop menu. Do this by drawing downwards at the Tablet menu.
  • Tap the time and date shown on the top of this drop menu.
  • Tap auto-rotate button while holding the tablet horizontally in order to lock the rotation in landscape mode.
  • Note: it's important to lock the rotation to landscape mode; portrait mode can still cause the save corruption issue.
  • Note: Turning the auto-rotation back on if the application is not closed properly may still result in save file corruption.

I hope these workarounds help. :) I'd love to hear back from you.

lost-and-found

Postby lost-and-found » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi RiikkaFB,

Thank you for confirming that there is an issue and how to avoid it. Is there any way to fix the corrupted savegame file? My save file got corrupted while at the end of the Deadly Dustland level. It took me a lot of time to get to that point and it would be frustrating to have to replay the whole game to get back to this level again.

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:11 pm

lost-and-found wrote:Hi RiikkaFB,

Thank you for confirming that there is an issue and how to avoid it. Is there any way to fix the corrupted savegame file? My save file got corrupted while at the end of the Deadly Dustland level. It took me a lot of time to get to that point and it would be frustrating to have to replay the whole game to get back to this level again.

Unfortunately there's no fix for save files that are already corrupted. :( I'm really sorry about this. We could send you a save file that you could use in the Steam version - that way you could continue the game from the point you had already reached, but you'd have to play using a PC or Mac. Unfortunately there's no way to transfer save files in such a way with the Shield Tablet.

If you'd like to discuss this, please send us an email (support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com). :) Include a link to this topic and mention your username if you do.

Maengorn

Postby Maengorn » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:58 pm

I really enjoyed this game when I first got my shield tablet. I ran into problems with the corrupt game saves about 8 times and started over. Sometime barely able to make it half way through the game. I sent my tablet in for an RMA and got a new one and figured I'd try it again. I got further than I've been able to before but today my game save got corrupted again. I'm giving up on this game. I'm not starting over from the start again. It won't let me choose a level at the level select other than the starting level. Way too much wasted time to this bug. I recommend to other players to not invest time into this gamd that arent willing to lose. Add a way for me to choose what level I want to start at, like some sort of console mode or something and maybe I'll play again. Until then I'm freeing the space for a game I can finish.

Return to “Trine 2”