Trine 2 Android for Snapdragon(Adreno) ?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
FlintEastwood

Trine 2 Android for Snapdragon(Adreno) ?

Postby FlintEastwood » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Is there a special deal with Nvidia or why did you release Trine 2 only for Tegra's? :(

I got a Sony Z1 Compact here (Snapdragon 800 with Adreno 330) and the hardware is pretty fast.
In 3D Mark, where the Tegra's get nearly 30000 points my Compact scores 19242 points. Not bad for a small phone. :)

Is the programming for the Tegra easier as for the Snapdragons?

fb_jlarja

Re: Trine 2 Android for Snapdragon(Adreno) ?

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:16 am

FlintEastwood wrote:Is there a special deal with Nvidia or why did you release Trine 2 only for Tegra's? :(

I got a Sony Z1 Compact here (Snapdragon 800 with Adreno 330) and the hardware is pretty fast.
In 3D Mark, where the Tegra's get nearly 30000 points my Compact scores 19242 points. Not bad for a small phone. :)

Is the programming for the Tegra easier as for the Snapdragons?

Tegra has OpenGL support while Android normally offers just OpenGL ES. Also, it wasn't exactly easy to get T2 running on Tegra. Something that has only about 65 % of Tegra's GPU performance would either take a lot more optimizing (or more likely re-writing) effort or have considerable tuned down looks. It is very doubtful we'd ever get enough sales to cover the cost of porting.

It is quite possible that at some point we'll create OpenGL ES version of our renderer and release T2 for any Android device. Phones and tablets are getting faster at pretty good rate.

-JLarja

FlintEastwood

Postby FlintEastwood » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:55 pm

fb_jlarja wrote:Tegra has OpenGL support while Android normally offers just OpenGL ES .

Ah, ok. Thats the point. And it makes sense.

fb_jlarja wrote:It is quite possible that at some point we'll create OpenGL ES version of our renderer and release T2 for any Android device. Phones and tablets are getting faster at pretty good rate.
-JLarja

I would love to play this game with reduced graphics on my phone. :)
But if there's no OGL ES version I can live with that. Playing Trine2 on PC with Nvidia 3D Vision is a matchless experience. :D :D :D

kron123456789

Postby kron123456789 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:23 pm

fb_jlarja wrote:
Tegra has OpenGL support while Android normally offers just OpenGL ES. Also, it wasn't exactly easy to get T2 running on Tegra. Something that has only about 65 % of Tegra's GPU performance would either take a lot more optimizing (or more likely re-writing) effort or have considerable tuned down looks. It is very doubtful we'd ever get enough sales to cover the cost of porting.

It is quite possible that at some point we'll create OpenGL ES version of our renderer and release T2 for any Android device. Phones and tablets are getting faster at pretty good rate.

-JLarja

What about iOS version? iPad Air 2 can deliver pretty much same performance as K1(or even higher). And it has Metal.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:04 pm

kron123456789 wrote:
fb_jlarja wrote:

-JLarja

What about iOS version? iPad Air 2 can deliver pretty much same performance as K1(or even higher). And it has Metal.

Well, development time wise Metal is even worse than OpenGL ES. And GPU in iPad (whatever version) is inferior compared to Tegra. So no, we aren't going to do an iOS version unless someone writes us a blank check for development cost + healthy profit :D .

-JLarja

Return to “Trine 2”