Consider to add LAN mode in the future, please!

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Yodake

Consider to add LAN mode in the future, please!

Postby Yodake » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Hej Frozenbyte,

Just my thoughts and feelings:

Trine 1 and 2 are pure art. The only letdown for me is that both games lacks a LAN mode. If there will be any further upgrades to the Trine engine (Trine 3 :wink: ), please consider to add a DRM-free LAN option to the original two games besides the local Co-op. I really want to be able to play these masterpieces in the distant future with my friends and family at a great distance, but online servers aren't future-proof and can go offline and I hate that feeling, especially in something like Trine.

Regards,
Yodake

fb_jlarja

Re: Consider to add LAN mode in the future, please!

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:58 am

Yodake wrote:Hej Frozenbyte,

Just my thoughts and feelings:

Trine 1 and 2 are pure art. The only letdown for me is that both games lacks a LAN mode. If there will be any further upgrades to the Trine engine (Trine 3 :wink: ), please consider to add a DRM-free LAN option to the original two games besides the local Co-op. I really want to be able to play these masterpieces in the distant future with my friends and family at a great distance, but online servers aren't future-proof and can go offline and I hate that feeling, especially in something like Trine.

Regards,
Yodake

T2 and T EE don't use any central servers during online gaming. There's only a server for matchmaking, all actual communication is peer to peer. That said, I think we have pure LAN game disabled in release builds. Enabling it isn't much more than a flip of a switch. However, adding that switch to GUI and making sure people understand what they are doing is a more complicated task. So if we add LAN game, it will probably just be an undocumented option in Options.txt.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine 2”