Suggestions

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
ChrisLeBrave

Re: Suggestions

Postby ChrisLeBrave » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:28 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
ChrisLeBrave wrote:Zoya and Amadeus can now jump on Pontius shield.

This is actually planned to be included in the game in co-op, so it's a very good suggestion! :D

Yeah, u rox.

Long life to Trine 2

svartwolf

Postby svartwolf » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:27 am

nooo, it seems that i'm VERY late for suggesting things T.T judging from the videos you have the core of the game almost done...

still, i love that you are doing trine 2 , online multiplayer was a must and will certainly make trine tenfold more popular, too bad that doesn't seem to be word on a level editor, but online was the most important thing trine needed...

still this question would maybe look silly, but. . .

would you keep the skeletons? today i was re re re playing trine and i suddenly realized that it was the only fantasy setting game were you fight almost only skeletons, yep there are fantasy settings when you fight the undead too, but usually they throw the same generic mish-mash of the always generic ghouls, skeletons, zombies and whatever other foul creature the nearest D&D monster manual could provide under the entry "undead".

and if trine 1 would have had ghouls, zombies, gargoyles and medusa's heads probably gameplay wise would have been even greater, but it kinda would've turned in the same undead army we have fight in warcraft, neverwinter nights, "elven warriors XV, the counter attack of the undead army" etc etc etc...

i'm not saying that what i have seen of trine 2 looks bad, in fact i like that you've keep developing the more... not sure how to express it... "fairytale fantasy theme" instead of the "another epic fantasy setting", it certainly keeps trine more unique and more "trine" instead of "D&D sidescroller edition", and i'm completely looking forward for trine 2 not only for the godly gameplay, which if it's better than trine 1 it can be only godly, but also for the aesthetical value trine offers, not only in the beautiful rendered stages, but also in the music, the dialogues and the simple yet alluring narrative, which blends very nicely.

and now, with that "introduction", i ask again, will you keep the skeletons? but keeping them as something that it's trine grimmer part of it's fantasy, instead of just another undead monster of the undead menace. It probably helps a lot regarding that interpretation of trine general setting that i'm a little obssesed with bones and skeletons since a brat. not in a sadistic way (I wouldn't kill something to have it's skeleton even if it's just a lizard!) but I love to collect bones, draw skulls and compose with them, and i feel that bones have a greater aesthetical impact than just rather "undead".

trine 1 not only had the skeletons, but it had mushrooms, crystals, lush vegetation and wild flowers, little villages in the depths of the forests, it was the "life part of the equation", the life that still managed to be even if it was surrounded by hordes of skeletons, while skeletons were the decay, the plague and the death it was ravaging the land, life and death are kinda faces of the same coin, and it wasn't created by a very evil wizard who enjoys to do evil and punch old ladies, but rather by a unbalance of how the world of trine worked, so if you look from that perspective, it's like a natural plague, rather than a thing someone very evil and with too much time on its hand doing, it's what naturally would occur if the mind and body are separated from the soul.

so i ask a last time, how integral skeletons are to the world of trine? are they just "undead" ? and are we going to see more of them? if not now? then maybe for trine 3? :3

hoping that the question wasn't too awkward, and again, congratulating the team for such an awesome game... really, while playing trine i enjoyed it as much as i enjoyed playing donkey kong country 2 while a kid, i mean i've never felt nostalgia before with a game that is so new.

Magrimore

Postby Magrimore » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:19 pm

I might be a tad late for some suggestions, but maybe they could be useful in future installments of Trine.

GENERAL FEATURES

Allow players to hang from ledges, pull theirselves up.

WIZARD

BUBBLE POWER > Draw a circle, creates a magic bubble, you can throw at enemies to capture them, causing them to bounce away. You can draw around a player to give them a space walk feel, making them weigh less, jump higher, but beware.. sharp objects can pop the bubble. Also the bubble can be drawn around the player to allow them to go under water without expending air while inside their bubble. This could allow a very exciting new dynamic to survival in TRINE. Previously underwater was pretty brief, with the bubble you could do much more.

PUSH > The wizard can send projectiles back at the attackers, push enemies away or off cliffs.

SUMMON SPRING > Draw a reverse 3 and summon a spring. You can bounce yourself or objects off it to fly soaring high.

THIEF

GRAPPLING HOOK NEW USES > The Thief can use the grappling to grab onto their friend. This can be used to try and rescue a friend from a fall or to help them up a steep wall. The Thief must leverage back when the friend climbs up the rope. The knight actually pulls the thief forward with every advance he makes on the rope. The knight must stop climbing so the thief can back peddle away from the ledge. This is to prevent the knight from pulling the thief over the side.

TRAPEZE > The Thief uses their grappling hook to plant into a wooden surface, when they swing they can switch into a TRAPEZE position to grab on to other friends and swing them across obstacles. The friend grabs onto the thief and decides when to let go. While the thief controls the momentum of the swing.

KNIGHT

BOOST UP > The Knight can croutch down and boost up friends higher than they could normally jump. Good for getting over high walls.

PARACHUTE > The Wizard can hop on the knights shoulders. When the knight jumps off a ledge he uses the wizard like a parachute. His robe puffs out and the two float down, the knight controls the direction of the parachute.

SWING > The Thief can hop on the knights shoulders. The Thief can then use the grappling hook and the two can swing across a gap.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:19 am

lol magrimore, you want Trine 2 to become a Circus adventure game? Really, thats nice you posts suggestions but most of them would make the game a little bit too crazy/easy/random

But I agree with the Push thing for the Knight, when he grabs something, the objet could keep some momentum so when you release the button as you are moving the mouse/joystick and so the object, it could be a "throw" similar thing, just like in Black & White game (idk if you understand)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Some good stuff here, even if they don't fit with our Trine 2 plans. And speaking of magic bubbles... oh well, maybe I'll save it for later. :)

svartwolf wrote:so i ask a last time, how integral skeletons are to the world of trine? are they just "undead" ? and are we going to see more of them? if not now? then maybe for trine 3? :3

Well, we haven't emphasized this until now, but... Trine 2 will not have any skeletons. This is probably good news to many. :) That said, I know I personally would have liked to see the skeletons crawling their way up the ledges in Trine 2 as well, but we wanted to do something new instead. There won't be any undead either though, every enemy is very much alive. :) Might be a bit disappointing to you but I hope you'll enjoy the new enemies once the game is released. And who knows, the skeletons might make a return one day.

However, Trine 2 will definitely keep the light-hearted fantasy atmosphere (even if it's maybe just a tiny bit darker in mood). But there's certainly no angry warrior prince here... And the environments are going to be even more varied and beautiful. Oh, and there will be plenty of bones this time around too!

So I think there's nothing to worry about. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jenso942

Postby jenso942 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:23 am

Online Co-Op would be awesome so i could play it with ma friends over the internet? duh :D, and meet new friends who's awesome cause they will be playing trine 2

jenso942

Postby jenso942 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:26 am

fb_joel wrote:Thanks for the thoughts guys. Some good stuff here, even if they don't fit with our Trine 2 plans. And speaking of magic bubbles... oh well, maybe I'll save it for later. :)

svartwolf wrote:so i ask a last time, how integral skeletons are to the world of trine? are they just "undead" ? and are we going to see more of them? if not now? then maybe for trine 3? :3

Well, we haven't emphasized this until now, but... Trine 2 will not have any skeletons. This is probably good news to many. :) That said, I know I personally would have liked to see the skeletons crawling their way up the ledges in Trine 2 as well, but we wanted to do something new instead. There won't be any undead either though, every enemy is very much alive. :) Might be a bit disappointing to you but I hope you'll enjoy the new enemies once the game is released. And who knows, the skeletons might make a return one day.

However, Trine 2 will definitely keep the light-hearted fantasy atmosphere (even if it's maybe just a tiny bit darker in mood). But there's certainly no angry warrior prince here... And the environments are going to be even more varied and beautiful. Oh, and there will be plenty of bones this time around too!

So I think there's nothing to worry about. :)
btw i need to know when its out :) :) :) :) :) :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Trine 2 is set for spring 2011 release. That's late spring though, so it's still a while away. But well worth the wait. :)

And if it hasn't been said enough, Trine 2 will finally feature online co-op (in addition to local co-op too).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 am

I'm assuming the online co-op will have a limit of 3 players per game. I'd like to suggest spectator mode for those who just like to watch. ;)
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah 3 players. A spectator mode would be cool - we'll see if there's time to add it... :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

TimWe1912

Postby TimWe1912 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:17 am

I guess It's too late now but its maybe a good idea for later versions maybe Trine 3.
My Suggestion is an "interactive" mainmenu, where you cannot just select the thing you want to do but you can move with your character(s) in your room (which you maybe can design with unlockable furniture) and theres a desk for example where you can set the options and a door which is the door to the level selection.
Of course it would'nt have anything to do with the story.
This idea is mine but now if i think I remember something similar in Little Big Planet for PS3.
Im looking forward to Trine 2!

PS: Maybe you could put an Artwork collection on the Homepage of Trine 2. That wouldn't be too much work. Or maybe as a download.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:42 am

Nice idea. We actually had some similar-ish ideas at some point but we may not have the time to do that. So let's see how it goes...

We're working on the official website for Trine 2 and once that's done there should be lots of cool Trine 2 artwork. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kostasmpyras

Postby kostasmpyras » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:43 am

ChrisLeBrave wrote:Hi,

1) Congratulation
Trine 1 is the best coop game ever made. Good job Frozenbyte.

2) Suggestions
Zoya and Amadeus can now jump on Pontius shield.
Pontius can throw in air teammate who stand up on his shield.
My friends never wanted to do box+teammate throw in Trine 1 (too long to execute).

Zoya can hook a teammate to help him climb or save him when he falls.
Zoya can pull box or other thing with her hook.
Zoya can burn enemies with fire arrows.

Each character has a different speed.
Zoya speeder than Pontius speeder than Amadeus.

Chris (sry for my poor english)
Thats waaaay too much Lara Croft GOL dude.... I wouldnt like to see that at all and i bet the FB staff can get more creative

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 am

Oh, just a small thing, if it's not too late...

When beta-testing, be careful about physically absurd things. Here are some small things which annoyed me a bit in Trine 1 from that point of view :
1-"Disappearing" platforms are only triggered by the player. Heavy objects won't do the trick. This allowed to avoid these nasty platforms simply by summoning a plank on top of them in some puzzles (which of course I never did except when discovering the thing 8))
2-At some point, in a cavern full of crystals, there is a big crystal wall going in the way of our heroes, with a stone fist supposed to hit it. I've seen my brother trying to solve this puzzle for 10 minutes after having first taken the stone fist down on the ground with arrows ("this looks dangerous") before realizing that ONLY the stone fist will do the trick. That's not fair play, warrior's hammer should be enough :mrgreen:.
3-Why should the grapping hook be only thrown upwards, instead of just following the mouse ?
4-Why can the hook go through walls while the thief is moving ?
5-If skeletons jump on a moving platform, the animation where they climb on it remains behind as the platform moves, so they end up climbing on... well... thin air ?
6-How come the wizard can rotate a lever by applying telekinesis at the central pivot ?

Apart from that, well... I'm really looking forward to play Trine 2, and hope it'll still run okay on my not-so-high-speced laptop (GeForce 325M FTW). Also, please note that you're horribly mean to release it around the time where many students (including me) will be preparing themselves for exams or going on internships.
Last edited by Neolander on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Also, congratulations about the decision to include 500% more rainbows :) One of the great parts of the first instalment was its colourful, refreshing visual design, and the mushrooms and the frog we see in Trine 2's trailer just fit this spirit perfectly.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Heh, thanks. :)

As for the issues you raised, I'm hopeful that most if not all of these will be fixed in Trine 2. Many of these will be addressed by the new engine, and the remaining by better game design.

Nice note about our secret plan to decrease student efficiency... ;)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm

fb_joel wrote:...Nice note about our secret plan to decrease student efficiency... ;)

:lol:
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Paul Rutten

Postby Paul Rutten » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Herbert wrote:On the teaser picure it says local multiplayer is still included. I hope you don't drop the support for multiple keyboards and mice, although there have been many nasty problems. I really enjoy playing the game with my friends on my full HD projector. No console or whatsoever at this time can beat the incredible quality of graphic and gameplay. Trine seems to be the only well done game with this amazing coop-feature. My suggestions on this topic for Trine 2 are
1) Include information with more technical details about how the detection of input devices works. It won't help against the kids who don't like reading, but I (considering myself an adult player) would like to know what the game is trying to do so I can help. By now setting up the controllers always took some tinkering up to half an hour, but we always had a funny evening.
2a) Make grouping devices by hardware connection possible. I don't know how the support for multiple devices works right now, but it seems you are querying the os (leaving the enumeration to Windows) for the available devices and use them as they are presented. I think it would be cool if the devices would be paired by the USB-hub they are attatched to. This way each player would have "his" hub he can connect his mouse and keyboard to. PS/2-devices would be their own class, all devices on the root hub could fall back to the current behaviour.
-or-
2b) Show a screen of the detected devices making manual selection and grouping possible in the launcher. This way the user can see whenever his media keys act like another keyboard or the notebooks nipple-thingy interferes with the other mice.

Local co-op is a great and very useful feature, but I would really like to see some improvement for multiple mice and keyboards - or at least multiple mice. Playing the wizard with a game pad was simply impossible, and a few other features like shooting arrows and blocking with shield were a real pain to set for gamepads, if they worked at all. Please make sure that this has been improved in Trine 2?

Thanks for making a great sequel to a great game! :D

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 am

We will improve the PC gamepad configuration for Trine 2, ie. we aim to have default (working) configurations for most known gamepads (Trine 1 had only Xbox 360 pad working straight from the box). Gamepad itself works great, once configured properly. We have also made some nice improvements to Wizard gamepad controls in Trine 2.

FantasywriterDH

Postby FantasywriterDH » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:48 am

My family and I Loved Trine. The 3 of us played it on the PS3. The main gripe we had with it though was that the screen would only focus on player 1, and had a very limited zoom out. This lead to a lot of deaths, frustration and unintended "Forced" teleporting from "off screen" characters to the player 1 character. This greatly hampered the gameplay for us. Please, please, please! Fix this issue! The screen should zoom out waay more than it does in Trine. Also, please have an option to remove the stupid screen sway! Whenever the rogue would swing about, it was very difficult to draw anything with the Wizard. The zoom issue also of course made the Vertical portions of the game more unpleseant and the very end of the game was just flat impossible! Even solo, we've never finshed the game, despite replaying the other levels like 50 times over. The game was great fun as a whole, but the end, well, was just greatly dissapointing with having to be perfect on every part, yet even as high as i got, still seemed ridiculasly impossible, frustrating... Then i realized... The game's fun wasn't there anymore... After an hour of trying we just gave up. Please, don't make feats of perfection and frustration like that again. It didn't promote team play, just frustration. Haven't been able to read a lot on this forum, but we hope for the best and are greatly anticipating the new Trine! Looks awesome from the tralier!

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for the comments!

We've done significant improvements to the local co-op camera logic which allows a lot more room when playing far away from each other, and of course in online co-op everyone has his/her own camera.

And no more frustrating last level for sure! :D

Emil12345558

Postby Emil12345558 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Please excuse me if its too late to post suggestions.

1. Make it so that arrows either always or never passes through wooden bridges. Flukes like those are annoying.

2. If the Wizard's range is limited by the camera, make the camera behave in a very simple manner.

3. Platforms that tilt inwards from the screen are annoying, since you never know when you can no longer stand on them.

4. Make the area that the Knight's shield block bigger, so that you don't have to crouch to block attacks to your feet (while standing). The skeleton fire attack in Trine 1 was very annoying for this reason.

5. It seems when you were walking around in spikes in Trine 1, you didn't constantly take damage or take no damage at all, instead you took damage at random points. Randomness is generally annoying.

6. Make cinematics or other non-interactive sequences skippable.

7. In Trine 1 your character became immobile after standing on a pressure switch or pulling a lever, becoming completely open to enemy attacks. Being vulnerable while pulling a lever is okay, but being immobile after pulling one is stupid (enemies and objects simply freezing in the air would be better).

8. Platforms that can be made to rotate or power mechanical bridges using the new water mechanic.
- Special liquids could also be interesting: f.ex. leaking water from a healing/strengthening well into an extremely dangerous area in order to help survive various threats. (humans enemies should be affected the same way as the three heroes)

9. Don't load the next level as soon as you reach the exit of a level.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm

These are some good suggestions, and very much in line with our design philosophy (e.g. consistency and player expectations). I think we'll have most of these done "right" in Trine 2.

Emil12345558 wrote:9. Don't load the next level as soon as you reach the exit of a level.

Do you mean that you would like a longer fade-out at the end of the level, and something like a fade-in before the next loading screen/level? We'll loosely follow in Trine's footsteps here but we intend to make the experience better (no more "flashing" for example), and I just wanted to confirm you're talking about the same thing.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 am

I have only one simple suggestion made Trine 2 just like it is on trailers You show us already.
I know, I know I didn't say much, but I like original one. I wish to see, if it is possible, all that changes from trailers

+ few more sub-bosses like giant skeleton (giant spiders look much more better than original ones), sub-bosses with weak points that player can attack directly and sub-bosses were player need to use environment;
+ bit more dialogs between three heroes, original voice acting was great and I please You keep those people again;
+ maybe add to story some NPC characters bards, wise dragons, bartenders, oracles, witches, somebody interesting (but not as interesting as main trio) - like between levels heroes gained information from them (I do not suggest putting them on levels maps because it could take to much work);
+ keep old upgrade system where player during game collecting items and learn new skills, players can replay previous levels with them;
+ make some epic boss fights - not every level need them but two or three would be nice addition to solving puzzles;
+ improve swimming under water,
+ make Trine 2 as long as Trine 1 or even bit longer (how about 17-18 levels + for example one bonus level for collecting all secrets and one level for finishing game on normal/hard difficulty (but not easy))
+ make more DLC levels like Path To New Dawn where players can test their skills

Emil12345558

Postby Emil12345558 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:16 pm

What I mean is that it is a waste of time to load the next level if you're not going to play it, f.ex. if you want to play the same level again, an earlier level, or wants to quit and do something else.
Sending players to the level-select screen or asking wether the player wants to play the next level or go to the menu might be better.
The levels in Trine were rather long meaning that one might not want to play even 2 levels in a row.

Flashing? Fade-out? No, apart from large junks of foreground, I never had any graphical problems with Trine at all. (apart from the graphics being so awesome/demanding I only have one computer that can run the game :lol: )

Return to “Trine 2”