Digital download only?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.

Do you prefer download or dics version?

Download
74%
Disc
26%

Total votes: 19

Tokkobot

Digital download only?

Postby Tokkobot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 pm

It says "Available for digital download in 2011" on the homepage. Does this mean that there won't be a physical DVD release of this game? I really hope not cause I really prefer discs over digital version. Also because I always have such trouble paying for things online. A poll for good measure.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Re: Digital download only?

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 am

I'm just guessing that the digital download comes online around that time and the discs a bit later because they have to be made which takes time.

But about the preference between digital/physical, I nowadays get a lot of digitally downloaded games simply because they come as fast as my internet can make it, meaning in a day or two. Via post physical discs and DVD boxes take around a week to come.

Of course the boxart is really nice to look at on those DVD boxes and also it's more secure when you have physical DVD in your hands but digital download usually is also a bit cheaper because there's not transfering costs.

So yeah, I guess my preference boils down to digital download because of having a chance to get it at a bit lower price and because it's faster than the physical alternative.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 am

It is only worth it to get the special edition of a boxed (only if the special edition comes with something physical). Otherwise, it's pointless to get it since there is no effort put into boxed games anymore. Stamp discs, put in DVD case, print flimsy booklet, and ship. Nothing special at all.

Need I got on with more reasons?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:27 am

I'll copypaste myself from another thread 8):

While downloadable channels are our main channels we have also a retail PC release in mind. However, it's very likely that PC retail versions will also require Steam, as the multiplayer, patching and such are easiest to do thru Steam and we don't have resources to support tons of different PC versions. But we'll see, we haven't 100% decided this...

Note: console version(s) will be digital only.

baltar

Postby baltar » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:32 pm

Boxed versions are great for collectors. Having a PC ver trine2 box next to my PC ver trine box on my shelf would be very awesome. You should do exactly what you did for trine 1 PC - Digital at first to appease the digital only crowd, and then a retail later on for the collectors.

As a matter of fact - a CE version of trine2 would be sweet. I remember Trine1 had a map for the loading screen, if trine2 has such a map for the loading screen, the coolest thing would be a cloth map of it in a tin CE box. That's something I would definatley preorder.

I do have one other question on the topic of multiplayer - will coop lanplay be supported?

zeeZ

Postby zeeZ » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:24 pm

baltar wrote:As a matter of fact - a CE version of trine2 would be sweet.

Including the three classes as pewter miniatures? :D
\tpun
(pun indented)

baltar

Postby baltar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm

pewters of the three characters - Damned good Idea! :mrgreen:

Waikiki

Postby Waikiki » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Steam is awesome. In the beginning i was quiet sceptical, but your games are available forever. And since downloads are so fast nowadays i mostly reinstall games by downloading them instead of searching for a, mostly lent to friend, dvd.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm

If a collector's edition approved, it sounds cool that 3 action figure of 3 heroes be available in it :)

baltar

Postby baltar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Waikiki wrote:Steam is awesome. In the beginning i was quiet sceptical, but your games are available forever. And since downloads are so fast nowadays i mostly reinstall games by downloading them instead of searching for a, mostly lent to friend, dvd.

Well, the responsible people would like their disc versions of this game please, since were capable of keeping track of our physical media purchases. Everyone else who has to depend on steam to manage their purchases can go download it.

I'm in for the dvd version thanks, Especially if its a CE with some pewter figs - very nice!

smurf

Postby smurf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 am

Another vote for the retail disc. I collect boxed dvd of my games. Besides, I don't trust Steam as I know that it can screw up and lose a purchase. I know this because it happened to my nephew, TWICE!!!

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Whichever one comes out first, I will buy. If they come out at the same time, I'll buy it on Steam.

Return to “Trine 2”