An idea about specifications ?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Nono

An idea about specifications ?

Postby Nono » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

Perhaps it's a little early for this question, but my PC is old now, and will be much more in 2011.
As it seems in the trailer that Trine 2 uses the same engine as the first, will the game require the same specifications ?

Before to be helped here by the staff, I thought I will buy Trine 2 in a promo, but you're too kind : I can't wait for the game to be available !

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: An idea about specifications ?

Postby fb_joel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Trine 2 is actually built on a brand-new engine and technology. The trailer is built on top of the old engine, that is true, but that's just because the new one isn't 100% ready yet. :)

While we don't yet have the final system requirements, I think it's reasonably safe to say that if your current computer is able to run Trine smoothly, then you should be able to run Trine 2 as well (but you may need to tweak down the settings a little bit). We'll hopefully have a better idea about the system requirements in early 2011.

Thanks for the support. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

AJack

Postby AJack » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Because this is my first post, I'd like to first offer belated congratulations to Frozenbyte on their transcendent first Trine game. I've been gaming since the original Duke Nukem in 1991, and Trine had charged straight to my Top 10 Games of All Time within hours of first booting it up. I couldn't be more psyched for your sequel.

Back to the topic at hand, I have a small technical question regarding Trine 2. I'm not sure if others experienced it also, but enabling anti-aliasing in the first game utterly destroyed my otherwise excellent frame-rate, making the game very choppy and sluggish to play. Do you expect that the new engine and whatnot will resolve this? The game looks excellent without AA of course, but having it available would be the cherry on top :)

alexskc

Postby alexskc » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:54 pm

My PC was able to run Trine just bairly. I had to turn off all effects and set my resolution to 800x600 :( It would be sad for me if I couldn't play 2.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm

AJack wrote:Back to the topic at hand, I have a small technical question regarding Trine 2. I'm not sure if others experienced it also, but enabling anti-aliasing in the first game utterly destroyed my otherwise excellent frame-rate, making the game very choppy and sluggish to play. Do you expect that the new engine and whatnot will resolve this? The game looks excellent without AA of course, but having it available would be the cherry on top :)

Thanks for the kind words, and yeah the antialiasing method in Trine 1 used to be really heavy. In patch 1.08 we tweaked it a bit, but I think it only affected the visibility of the effect (i.e. it looks a lot nicer and behaves better). I'm not quite sure what will happen with Trine 2 - I think we will stick to deferred shading (see Wikipedia) and that means it's going to take a bigger toll on the system.

At the end of the day, it's hard to be too specific on the system requirements, so we'll see how it goes in the end. We will also release a demo so it'll be easy to check how everything works on the technical level (no idea if the demo is before release or around release, probably very close to release in any case).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

tommyla

Postby tommyla » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:25 pm

fb_joel wrote:Trine 2 is actually built on a brand-new engine and technology. The trailer is built on top of the old engine, that is true, but that's just because the new one isn't 100% ready yet. :)

While we don't yet have the final system requirements, I think it's reasonably safe to say that if your current computer is able to run Trine smoothly, then you should be able to run Trine 2 as well (but you may need to tweak down the settings a little bit). We'll hopefully have a better idea about the system requirements in early 2011.

Thanks for the support. 8)

the original trine was slow on my gaming rig, i remember i had to tweak something in the settings to make it run alot smoother and faster on ati hardware, trine runs fine now, smooth and fast, i hope trine 2 will use more open things like Bullet Physics using OpenCL or DX11 DirectCompute http://bulletphysics.org/

and when i try to play Trine on a laptop with Mobility Radoen HD 4250 (lowest end you can get unless you want to go intel) it was not realy playable, even when Zero Gear was (it uses Ogre 3D Engine and Bullet Physics)

i was pretty sure physx was the issue
toms hardware has a good test here when it comes to physx on cpu
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvi ... ,2764.html

FYI: i love trine, and when can we pre-order trine 2 on steam?

Kein

Postby Kein » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:46 pm

PhysX acceleration in T1 was disabled by default...

tommyla

Postby tommyla » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Kein wrote:PhysX acceleration in T1 was disabled by default...

T1 needed PhysX installed so it used it, but physX isnt that optimized for the cpu, much old code was left in it so it was a mess, i realy hope T2 will use Bullet, an fully open source physics engine that works on most platforms, futuremark's 3dmark11 uses it and many movie studios also use bullet for movies

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Trine 2 will use PhysX. Sorry if that disappoints. In the future we could consider other physics solutions but right now we have deemed PhysX the best for our situation (also helped by the fact that we have some 5 years experience of using it).

Much of what you said is true, however with today's multicore CPUs, the issue is not so bad. PhysX runs very nicely with a dual-core CPU. Most singlecore CPU systems are bottlenecked by the graphics card in any case.

Trine 2 pre-order will probably happen 1-2 months before launch, so that's "spring 2011". I hope this helps a bit.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kostasmpyras

Postby kostasmpyras » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 am

well one thing I know is that you cant have both a perfect game and a bad procceror. Or maybe you can but your game wont work :P It hurts to say but my 1300 euros Pc is now really outdated ,but games like Trine 2 deserve the money for the updates , dont you think?

Return to “Trine 2”