[Linux] Please use XDG directory specification

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
shmerl

[Linux] Please use XDG directory specification

Postby shmerl » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:24 am

I noticed that currently Trine 2 (and Trine 1 actually as well) places user game data into $HOME/.frozenbyte which clutters $HOME directory.

Current standard prescribes to place such files into designated locations, which are defined by XDG base directory specification: http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi ... atest.html

Usually it's $HOME/.config and $HOME/.local/share

I.e. in this case it can be $HOME/.config/frozenbyte for configuration and $HOME/.local/share/frozenbyte for saves and etc. Exact location can be overriden with shell variables ($XDG_DATA_HOME and $XDG_CONFIG_HOME). See link above for more details on how to use that. This method helps keeping home directory clean and applications are expected to follow it.

fb_jlarja

Re: [Linux] Please use XDG directory specification

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:50 am

This is actually already planned for Trine 3 (thank you for your timely post though. I couldn't remember the XDG acronym the other day, so you saved me some time googling). Though we probably just use the data dir, as in Windows, as we don't currently have support for separate config dir (also, it's debatable whether for example binds are data or configuration, so I don't consider concept of separate configuration directory really that sensible anyway).

Though I'm sure once implemented, someone will come along and tell us we should have followed standard XYZ instead :D .

-JLarja

shmerl

Postby shmerl » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:40 am

fb_jlarja wrote:Though I'm sure once implemented, someone will come along and tell us we should have followed standard XYZ instead :D .

-JLarja

I think XDG standard is fairly sensible and is staying long term. :) I'm OK with not following it to the letter with splitting configs and data. Even if you put it all in the data directory, it still declutters home which is useful.

shmerl

Postby shmerl » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:31 am

fb_jlarja wrote:This is actually already planned for Trine 3

I tested Trine 3 (GOG release), and it still creates $HOME/.frozenbyte so it doesn't follow XDG spec yet.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:09 am

shmerl wrote:
fb_jlarja wrote:This is actually already planned for Trine 3

I tested Trine 3 (GOG release), and it still creates $HOME/.frozenbyte so it doesn't follow XDG spec yet.

Yes, one of the less important features that still didn't make it. Sorry about that.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine 2”