No 144 Hz Option For Linux

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
PublicNuisance

No 144 Hz Option For Linux

Postby PublicNuisance » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:15 pm

When I boot into Windows I get an option to run Trine 2 in 144 Hz. Linux only sees 60 Hz. tried this on multiple systems. Any plans to offer 144 Hz on the Linux version ? Other games work fine ith 144 Hz on Linux for me. Also the Linux version seems to be locked to 30 FPS for me.

MarjutFB

Re: No 144 Hz Option For Linux

Postby MarjutFB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:38 pm

The Linux version is quite different so it's possible there is such a difference. It also has higher system requirements.

Unfortunately we don't have any patches planned so there most likely won't be a fix. If you didn't yet, you could still try if changing the game's options would raise the FPS, but otherwise I unfortunately don't have suggestions.

Cheers!

PublicNuisance

Postby PublicNuisance » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:04 pm

MarjutFB wrote:The Linux version is quite different so it's possible there is such a difference. It also has higher system requirements.

Unfortunately we don't have any patches planned so there most likely won't be a fix. If you didn't yet, you could still try if changing the game's options would raise the FPS, but otherwise I unfortunately don't have suggestions.

Cheers!

It's not a matter of low FPS. The FPS doesn't drop below 30, it simply doesn't go above it. It is a constant 30 like a hard limit in the game code. Just to check I lowered everything from highest settings to lowest without AA and was still a constant 30 FPS. I tried on a GTX 960 as well as a Radeon HD7950 and had the same result. I have an AMD FX-8350 and 16GB of RAM. With either GPU my system is well above the system requirements for Trine 2. All required packages are installed.

May I ask why there is no planned fixes for this issue ? Is it due to the age of Trine 2 or just because it's the Linux version ? If it is due to the age then why does the game still retail for $26.09 CAD on GOG and $21.99 CAD on Steam ? Seems a high price to charge for a game that is deemed too old to fix any issues with. If it is because the issue is with the Linux version then my question is why have a Linux version if you don't plan to support it ?

I'm not trying to be hostile, just trying to understand Frozenbyte's reasoning.

PublicNuisance

Postby PublicNuisance » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:21 pm

One thing I will add is a link that did provide some help. http://www.frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14824 provided a workaround. It isn't as good as a true 144 Hz option but if you set the TargetSmooth30FPS to false and disabled Vsync then I could achive framerates over 30.

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm glad you found some help to the issue and thanks for sharing the solution!

And to your questions, we haven't gotten many reports about this which is why it can't be given a high priority. Also this kind of fix would take a lot of time. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but we still have added a lot of fixes to Trine 2 after its release so it's not deserted.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but if not I just hope you'll enjoy playing.

Cheers!

Return to “Trine 2”