Back, and with a few questions

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
ZachCraft

Back, and with a few questions

Postby ZachCraft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:14 am

Hey guys! Haven't been here in a while, mostly due to the slow flow of information you've been releasing, but I just had a few questions, and was hoping you could answer any of them.

- What do you estimate the length of the single player game will be, in comparison (or not) to Trine 1?

- Will we be seeing more complex puzzles? I noticed in your most recent trailer (which was INCREDIBLE, mind you) that you will be using more advanced water physics, as opposed to simply creating a box and jumping on top of it to progress, or anything simple to that extent.

- What is "late summer"?

- Will Trine 2 be released on Steam again, and if so, do you have any plans for a pre-load, or pre-order bonus?
- If Trine 2 is on Steam, will your online multiplayer servers be Steamworks?

- Is Ari Pulkkinen doing all of the audio again?

- What do you expect the soundtrack to cost?

- How's it goin'?

Thanks!

FB_Lauri

Re: Back, and with a few questions

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 am

ZachCraft wrote:Hey guys! Haven't been here in a while, mostly due to the slow flow of information you've been releasing, but I just had a few questions, and was hoping you could answer any of them.

Hi and welcome back! :)

ZachCraft wrote:- What do you estimate the length of the single player game will be, in comparison (or not) to Trine 1?

I'd say it's a hour or two longer, which means something like 8 to 10 hours of play time. We have also paid special attention to co-op mode and it adds really a new layer of gameplay to the game, which means a very good replay value. (ie. play once thru in single-player and a couple times in different co-op modes :D)

ZachCraft wrote:- Will we be seeing more complex puzzles? I noticed in your most recent trailer (which was INCREDIBLE, mind you) that you will be using more advanced water physics, as opposed to simply creating a box and jumping on top of it to progress, or anything simple to that extent.

Yes, puzzles are all made a lot bigger and they all are also unique. However, in order to keep players advancing, each puzzle has now a lot more solutions, thanks to new abilities and new puzzle features, such as the water physics. For co-op there's a number of additional solutions, as together the characters are able to do even funnier tricks.

ZachCraft wrote:- What is "late summer"?

The exact release date is set by the channels, and that is done only a few months before release, hence we don't know more accurate date.

ZachCraft wrote:- Will Trine 2 be released on Steam again, and if so, do you have any plans for a pre-load, or pre-order bonus?
- If Trine 2 is on Steam, will your online multiplayer servers be Steamworks?

Steam for sure, as it will be our main PC channel. For pre-orders it's too early to say, but if we set up one, we do have quite some games in our pocket .. ;)

ZachCraft wrote:- Is Ari Pulkkinen doing all of the audio again?

Yes, Ari is doing all the music again. The newest trailer has one ingame track in it.

ZachCraft wrote:- What do you expect the soundtrack to cost?

That's up to Ari, but I'd imagine the cost will be fair. (and I guess he will provide answer later once it's set)

ZachCraft wrote:- How's it goin'?

Heh, we are pretty busy for the obvious reasons, but it's looking really good! :D

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:53 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:We have also paid special attention to co-op mode and it adds really a new layer of gameplay to the game, which means a very good replay value. (ie. play once thru in single-player and a couple times in different co-op modes :D)

Different co-op modes, you say ? :twisted:

*takes notes on a small notepad*

(Oh, well, that's probably on a single computer vs online, but who knows...)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Neolander wrote:Different co-op modes, you say ? :twisted:

*takes notes on a small notepad*

(Oh, well, that's probably on a single computer vs online, but who knows...)

Yeah, who knows ... 8)

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for the answers! I'm really looking forward to Trine 2, especially with the release of the new trailer.

Take care.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Sorry, but just to clarify:

Did you say that the servers will be run via steamworks, or were you only referring to the game being on steam?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:22 pm

It's likely that PC version will use Steamworks for multiplayer features.

xitrum

Postby xitrum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:45 am

Please please please tell me that a retail box is still in plans.

Is Steam required to play multiplayer?

I hate Steam (and its concept)!

I recently went against my philosophy and got a Steam account to play Magicka. Great game concept, poor quality control and execution. You get a game in a playable state. Then they push an update to fix something for someone else and break yours. Happened so many times that you'd just want to give up. Many times, I just want to rollback to an earlier version that works for me and I couldn't. The last downgrade they pushed was on a Friday right before the weekend. It broke some more stuff. And you can't do anything about it since Steam doesn't work on weekends. Hooray!

Oh yeah, from time to time, Steam will just decide to lose a game in an account or just suspend an account. Didn't happen to me. But did happen to my nephews.

Please don't tell me that I'll be a hostage to Steam again.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm afraid multiplayer is very likely to require Steam :?

Regarding a patch breaking something else the game: in 99% cases it's the developers fault, and in the case you described it really sounds like that. Steam does support betatesting before releasing a patch, if developer/publisher doesn't have muscle to conduct proper testing. Unfortunately we have experience on this topic in a bad way :oops: (and hopefully our now a lot more improved testing will do the trick 8) )

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:46 pm

xitrum wrote:Please please please tell me that a retail box is still in plans.

Is Steam required to play multiplayer?

I hate Steam (and its concept)!

I recently went against my philosophy and got a Steam account to play Magicka. Great game concept, poor quality control and execution. You get a game in a playable state. Then they push an update to fix something for someone else and break yours. Happened so many times that you'd just want to give up. Many times, I just want to rollback to an earlier version that works for me and I couldn't. The last downgrade they pushed was on a Friday right before the weekend. It broke some more stuff. And you can't do anything about it since Steam doesn't work on weekends. Hooray!

Oh yeah, from time to time, Steam will just decide to lose a game in an account or just suspend an account. Didn't happen to me. But did happen to my nephews.

Please don't tell me that I'll be a hostage to Steam again.

Magicka has nothing to do with Steam, other than being sold by them. The people responsible for your problem are Paradox Interactive, the developers of the game.

Steam does work on weekends, what are you talking about?

Also, I assure you, I absolutely assure you that your nephews did something in order to "lose a game" (doesn't happen) or just have their accounts suspended.

xitrum

Postby xitrum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:47 am

Yes, I understand that the problem lies with the developer and proper testing. My gripe with Steam follows:

- You must always be connected to play. Whatever happened to the concept of gaming on the go?! I can play Trine on my gaming laptop. I can play while on a plane. Can't do that with Steam games.

- You're forced to install updates even if you don't need it. For example, a patch is made for certain graphics card that I don't use. Why do I have to update, even if I don't play online.

- Yes, you can play Steam games on the weekend. But if the game developer wants to push an emergency patch on a weekend. Good luck with that!

- When you buy a Steam game... you don't actually buy it. It's tied into your account and you can't resell it. Game publishers love that. But as a consumer, it sucks. Now, I collect games and don't sell mine. But it's the principles we 're talking about.

- Steam does make mistakes. Just last week, one of my nephew came back from dinner and found out that his account was suspended. It was reinstated when they uncovered the mistake the next day. Guess what?! The poor kid couldn't play anything in the meantime.

- About the losing the game on Steam. Another nephew of mine had a game installed. His PC got virus problem and had to be reinstalled. After that, Steam had no memory of the game. Calls to Steam were unsuccessful even though the credit card bill said otherwise.

If you believe Steam is 100% perfect and never fails, then I have some land I can sell you. Steam is software. Software is made by people. Guess what, mistakes are made. I know since I'm a SW developer myself. :lol:

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 am

xitrum wrote:Yes, I understand that the problem lies with the developer and proper testing. My gripe with Steam follows:

- You must always be connected to play. Whatever happened to the concept of gaming on the go?! I can play Trine on my gaming laptop. I can play while on a plane. Can't do that with Steam games.

- You're forced to install updates even if you don't need it. For example, a patch is made for certain graphics card that I don't use. Why do I have to update, even if I don't play online.

- Yes, you can play Steam games on the weekend. But if the game developer wants to push an emergency patch on a weekend. Good luck with that!

- When you buy a Steam game... you don't actually buy it. It's tied into your account and you can't resell it. Game publishers love that. But as a consumer, it sucks. Now, I collect games and don't sell mine. But it's the principles we 're talking about.

- Steam does make mistakes. Just last week, one of my nephew came back from dinner and found out that his account was suspended. It was reinstated when they uncovered the mistake the next day. Guess what?! The poor kid couldn't play anything in the meantime.

- About the losing the game on Steam. Another nephew of mine had a game installed. His PC got virus problem and had to be reinstalled. After that, Steam had no memory of the game. Calls to Steam were unsuccessful even though the credit card bill said otherwise.

If you believe Steam is 100% perfect and never fails, then I have some land I can sell you. Steam is software. Software is made by people. Guess what, mistakes are made. I know since I'm a SW developer myself. :lol:

-http://oi52.tinypic.com/dyqetx.jpg

-Why is this a big problem, or even a minor one?

-What are you talking about? Steam has no problems at all on the weekend.

-It's really not that big a deal. You trade the ability to sell your games for a convenient, often cheap and invulnerable copy of a game. I don't think I have to tell you how many times I've lost, for example, Diablo 2 discs over the years.

-Was he temporarily VAC banned?

-I absolutely do not believe you (or at least, your cousin), since steam games are tied to your account, and have nothing to do with the computer you're logged into.

Of course Steam is not 100% perfect, but it's the closest to perfection achieved yet by a gaming platform.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

To throw some water onto the flames here, I do see the point of not wanting to use Steam, and we respect that. Steam does have its share of problems, although they are rather minor from the point of a developer. For the majority Steam works wonderfully, and really makes distributing games very easy.

The multiplayer portion of Trine 2 will most likely always require Steam to play. With singleplayer we'll have more options but at this point we still have some things left to decide, so it's hard to say anything definite yet.

Also, it is probably good to know that we don't plan to change our support attitude with Trine 2. If there's a major problem with the game, we're usually able to help one way or another, regardless of whether or not Steam can push an update out. During the launch of the game I expect everything to be very hectic and issues will be solved through official patches, but after the launch period things will calm down and we can focus on individual support problems.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

xitrum

Postby xitrum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 am

ZachCraft wrote:-What are you talking about? Steam has no problems at all on the weekend.

-It's really not that big a deal. You trade the ability to sell your games for a convenient, often cheap and invulnerable copy of a game. I don't think I have to tell you how many times I've lost, for example, Diablo 2 discs over the years.

-I absolutely do not believe you (or at least, your cousin), since steam games are tied to your account, and have nothing to do with the computer you're logged into.

Of course Steam is not 100% perfect, but it's the closest to perfection achieved yet by a gaming platform.

Why is it so hard to understand? If you depend on Steam and need Steam to push an update on a weekend, then you need Steam staff to work on the weekend. They, i.e. THE PEOPLE NOT THE SOFTWARE, don't work on the weekends. I never said Steam software doesn't work on the weekend.

Yes, Steam games are tied to an account. It may be that the re-installation of the PC is coincidental. But the fact remains that he lost the game on Steam. Believe what you will.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:24 am

xitrum wrote:
ZachCraft wrote:-What are you talking about? Steam has no problems at all on the weekend.

Why is it so hard to understand? If you depend on Steam and need Steam to push an update on a weekend, then you need Steam staff to work on the weekend. They, i.e. THE PEOPLE NOT THE SOFTWARE, don't work on the weekends. I never said Steam software doesn't work on the weekend.

Yes, Steam games are tied to an account. It may be that the re-installation of the PC is coincidental. But the fact remains that he lost the game on Steam. Believe what you will.

Saying that "Steam doesn't work on the weekends" would imply that the whole service doesn't work on weekends. Please clarify in the future.

Return to “Trine 2”