Single Player

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Quandrastorm

Single Player

Postby Quandrastorm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:39 pm

I was wondering after seeying some video's of trine 2 where the team works together to solve puzzels (like where the fighter stands on a floating platform of the wizzard)

Will it still be posable to fully complete the game in single player? becase i am a geek and i have frends

FB_Lauri

Re: Single Player

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

The game is designed to work perfectly in single player, in fact the character changing mechanic in single player is one of the core mechanics of all Trine games. The single player is not better or worse than co-op, it's only a bit different type of fun. :D

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:20 pm

I'd like to extend the question a bit: Will single-player allow all three characters to persist in the world simultaneously? Trine is really the only (good) game we have in the same vein as the Lost Vikings, and being able to send two characters down two different paths to press two buttons and allow a third to move forward and open the way for the other two to rejoin was one of that game's selling points, and something which would be interesting to see in Trine.

I assume such a concept will be available in co-op where characters have to persist for people to play them, but will something like that be available in single player? What I wouldn't give for the ability to sit the Warrior against a fireball trap and LEAVE him there plugging it with his shield...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Yeah that's been suggested a few times - Trine 2 will feature a nice new addition in co-op regarding this, but singleplayer will only have one character on screen at once. Sorry. It's also quite an extensive feature that adding it later on would probably require quite a lot, so I can't promise that either. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:04 am

This is unfortunate, but understandable. After all, a Trine with persistent swappable characters is tantamount to a whole different kind of game which requires a drastically different sort of level design, so I can appreciate the problems this poses. Suffice it to say that if more of each characters' skills are applicable to solving each puzzle and if more puzzles needed multiple characters to solve, then that would be equally as good, but in a different way.

One problem I had with the original Trine's puzzles was something Yahtzee pointed out - almost everything could be solved with stacked boxes. In fact, I solved the last climb to the evil king's tower by stacking two boxes on one lower platform, putting a plank between that and the platform to the left, stacking two more boxes on top of that, then building a bridge via plank -> floating platform -> plank and entirely bypassing the very last puzzle of the level before the final rush climb. I was proud of the achievement, but I kept feeling like I'd cheated the game out of a decent challenge.

Then again, between levitation and construction, the Wizard seems to have the ability to turn any moving puzzle rigid and span any gap with enough objects. It made the other two characters feel superfluous to solving puzzles, so I'm hoping I heard right that they'll have more use in puzzlesolving in Trine 2.

Still looks like a great game :)

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:58 pm

I usually use Zoya for solving puzzles, sometimes kinght to toss boxes and wizard to create boxes and floating platforms that Zoya will use next. It's great that everybody can play this game in his own way :)

Emil12345558

Postby Emil12345558 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Everyone should try to replay Trine without upgrading abilities at all (especially not the Wizard's) and giving items to the character least able to use them. You can play the game like this just fine!
The only problem is that the bats get annoying.

Quandrastorm

Postby Quandrastorm » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm

id rather not lol, i loved to shoot 4 arrows at the same time :P

i am surprised they got actualy developers a answering questions and not some costumer service guy who doesnt know the details :P

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Quandrastorm wrote:i am surprised they got actualy developers a answering questions and not some custumer service guy who doesnt know the details :P

We are so small team that for customer service we have only real developers :D

No but for real, our gamers are most important for us and thus our VP is in charge of all support for example (you might notice Joel doing a bit support around here too :wink: )

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Tue May 03, 2011 4:32 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:No but for real, our gamers are most important for us and thus our VP is in charge of all support for example (you might notice Joel doing a bit support around here too :wink: )

Having been a customer to a game developer who went from having actual developers involved with their community, discussing the nuts and bolts of their game and giving their honest opinions on subjects to a soulless entity who build their game on "metrics" and only communicate with their community via marketing puppets who speak nothing but spin, I commend FrozenByte for being as involved with their community as they are. It may not seem like it, but I find such communication and honesty to contribute GREATLY to player satisfaction and loyalty.

You are doing well, I'd say :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Heh thanks. I think we'll always keep our method, we think it's the best way in the long run for everybody. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:17 pm

fb_joel wrote:Yeah that's been suggested a few times - Trine 2 will feature a nice new addition in co-op regarding this, but singleplayer will only have one character on screen at once. Sorry. It's also quite an extensive feature that adding it later on would probably require quite a lot, so I can't promise that either. :(

i have a sort of question: does the TRine2 game center on the wizard/thief/soldier triumvirate or are there other characters?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:03 am

Yes the heroes are the same. There are other characters in the story though, and the enemies are more "active" as well. But the Wizard, Knight and Thief are the only playable characters.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Infinity

Postby Infinity » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 pm

I noticed that with the thief we can't actually shoot while jumping, will this be possible in Trine 2 ?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 pm

Yes. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Infinity

Postby Infinity » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Awesome ! Thanks :D

Yodake

Postby Yodake » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:39 am

Hi,
I love Trine 1 with it's amazing graphics, gameplay and soundtrack. Now, I've got a few questions:

1. If there are 2 players in Co-Op and one of them collects an item, finds a treasure or a new skill, does that also mean the
other player gets it? So, would it be possible then that one player makes a speedrun and the other is chilling out at the beginning of a level, but there is nothing anymore to collect for him but only finishing the level?

2. I know the Multiplayer uses SteamWorks and that's great. But will there be a possiblity to play the Single Player Mode without Steam? If so, how do I get it?

3. I wish you all the best with Trine 2, really loved Trine 1. The whole game is amazing art :wink:

Regards,
Yodake (english != mother tongue).

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 pm

1. All players get everything what is collected, so in theory one can do all the work and rest can just sit back. But I'd say in that case the rest would miss all the fun :)

2. First all versions will require Steam, but we will inspect the possibility of doing completely DRM-free edition later.

3. Thank you! :D

Return to “Trine 2”