Dutch Subtitles

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
jiquera

Dutch Subtitles

Postby jiquera » Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Are there plans to put in Dutch subtitles? I played trine 1 together with my girlfriend and we had a lot of fun. Although playing with two is the easiest mode (since you can lift each other from the ground AND can switch characters) it was still quite the effort, mostly due to the fact that my girlfriend is not used to playing computer games and was constantly looking for the right keys which is problematic when enemies are charging at you ;-)

Anyway she doesn't speak English at all (we're both Dutch) so I ended up translating everything for her, though I couldn't find a way to actually put it into the game. So are there going to be Dutch subtitles in trine 2? I'd be happy to translate the main game and any updates for free.

Last but not least: Awesome game, I'll definitely buy the sequel!

cheers

Quandrastorm

Re: Dutch Subtitles

Postby Quandrastorm » Fri May 20, 2011 4:17 pm

I am dutch also, and i can help whit it. but i am surprised your girlfrend doesnt speak english, we all learn it at school in the netherlands :o

anyway apart from that what i read about other poeple who volenteerd to do translations, is that it might be added as extra downloadeds after release

jiquera

Postby jiquera » Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Oh she did get the course, but being dyslectic means it doesn't really stick ;-) besides if you don't ever use the language the skill fades away after a few years (as happened with my French and German :P)

Anyway I translated quite a lot of movies and I even did major parts of the Trillian (2.x and 3.0) language files I would really like to give hand there. Or if there is a way to add through editing xml files or whatsoever I'd like to know as well. I even tried browsing through the binary codes of the dll's and exe files but I think I overlooked where the subtitles are stored or perhaps they are compressed...

If the amount of spoken text is about the same as in last game it shouldn't be too much work. Well polishing always takes long but still :)

cheers!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Good to hear. :) The subtitles for Trine are in the data files, namely the latest data.fbz file like data3.fbz or data2.fbz (you can open them in WinZip/WinRAR), in the folder data/locales/en/ . It's a pretty simple system.

For Trine 2, I think we will continue the practice of using volunteer translations for the computer platforms (but not for consoles). So if you are interested you can email us and I can put you on a list for this. The amount should be roughly the same I think, and of course it'd be cool to have it translated. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

jiquera

Postby jiquera » Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 pm

hmm so it was compressed... shouldve been less lazy, now we already finished the game :P

I'll drop you guys an e-mail!

cheers

Return to “Trine 2”