Trine 2 Beta on Steam cannot start?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
AshioHsiao

Trine 2 Beta on Steam cannot start?

Postby AshioHsiao » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:50 am

I just pre-ordered Trine 2 on Steam, and finished downloading the beta, but after I click on play (on the launcher), it will go to a black screen for like 20 seconds, then back to desktop...

What is going on, please help?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Trine 2 Beta on Steam cannot start?

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 am

Hmm, sorry to hear. Can you go to the game's folder under Steam, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\trine 2\ and try to launch trine2_32bit.exe ? Does it behave the same? You could also try some other graphics settings like a lower resolution, or running in Windowed mode (using trine2_launcher.exe).

What are your computer specs + OS version?

Edit: I see in other threads that the problem probably got solved, can you confirm? And what was the reason for the issue? :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Red_Man

Postby Red_Man » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:41 pm

AshioHsiao wrote:I just pre-ordered Trine 2 on Steam, and finished downloading the beta, but after I click on play (on the launcher), it will go to a black screen for like 20 seconds, then back to desktop...

What is going on, please help?

Have you tried to verify game cache?

jm2

Postby jm2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:20 pm

I had this issue as well where I could see the launcher but then the game wouldn't start afterward. I launched Trine 2 directly and discovered that I don't have a full directx9 installation (missing d3dx9_38.dll.) You may want to add that as a Steam prerequisite so it gets installed. Hope that helps.

JM

ManyPopes

Postby ManyPopes » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:08 am

My game is also not starting after the launcher.

I don't get a black screen like OP.
The trine2_32bit.exe *32 process is running but nothing appears.
If I run trine2_32bit.exe directly from the steam folders and error appears saying "there is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk1\dr1", if I press "try again" or "continue" the error disappears, the process starts, but still nothing visual.

My directx files all appear to be there..
Verified game files

Ran out of ideas :(

narilus

Postby narilus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:33 am

Mine would be stuck on the launcher part, where it shows all the display options. After i click start it would load the launcher screen again no matter what settings i use. I've tried launching it from steam and from the 32bit exe one. I've tried running with firewall/antivirus off and i've updated physx, ati driver, directx11. I'm running out of options.

i've got:
i5 2500k
ATI XFX 6950 2gb
8 gb ram
windows 7 64bit.

/edit never mind, I installed .net framework and it works now. I guess it requires that

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:32 pm

I think new DX installers won't install all DX9 stuff any more, even I was told that they should. We'll have to inspect this.

ManyPopes

Postby ManyPopes » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:53 pm

I just reinstalled the .NET Framework and it didn't fix..

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core
4GB ram
ATI Radeon HD 4350

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:56 am

ManyPopes wrote:If I run trine2_32bit.exe directly from the steam folders and error appears saying "there is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk1\dr1", if I press "try again" or "continue" the error disappears, the process starts, but still nothing visual.

This sounds really weird. The system looks fine... Try to disable temporarily all the firewall and antivirus software, or any other software for that matter, and try again. If you log out of Steam, and try to launch the exe, what happens? Normally it would popup the Steam login screen (probably does).

Do you have any USB devices connected, or memory sticks, or ZIP drives? There seems to be plenty of these kind of problems but they are either related to USB devices or viruses, so I'm not sure if they help... One software-related thread is here.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

MrJenssen

Postby MrJenssen » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 pm

Jumping in here just to mention that I had the same issue, but it is resolved now. I tried a bunch of things, including the standard "validate game cache" and what-not, but none of those things worked.

Then I tried your idea, to shut down Steam and start that executable (trine2_32bit), and that did the trick!

Now, I don't know if it was solved because I shut down Steam and restarted it again (because that happens automatically) or if it was because I did it exactly like that (like you said), but it works great now. Thanks a bunch, and good luck with the rest of the development process! I'm dying to play the full game. :D

Edit: I'm guessing by the fact that, since the other guy(s) who also had this issue have not returned here, their problem was also solved by doing this. :)

ManyPopes

Postby ManyPopes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 am

Starting with Steam closed just ran Steam then the game and it still didn't run.

As for the link you posted, I think that may be linked, I get the same drive error message when I run the .exe, however I'd never even heard of a ZIP Drive :lol: ... I'll carry on looking into it.

If things don't clear up I'll format my PC and start over, a few games have been playing up on me lately and I've been considering it for a while, I've got a hunch there's something broken in there...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 am

Sounds like there might be something wrong with the system indeed... I would suggest doing backups right now, and then worry about it more...

Anyhow, did you try these exact steps:

1. Exit Steam (and turn off auto-login if you use it)
2. Browse to the Trine 2 Beta folder
3. Try to run trine2_32bit.exe

That seems to have worked for MrJenssen (thanks for posting!) and I'm wondering if you did it like this. Did it give the same disk drive error, or the Steam login screen?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ManyPopes

Postby ManyPopes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Right, it appears that the disk error message doesn't appear when I am logged out of steam entirely..

However as soon as I log in, it doesn't launch the game and the error appears again when I do launch the game..

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Ok. I'm out of ideas unfortunately. I'm not sure if you can somehow trick Steam to install games to other directories without actually deleting/moving the whole installation... That's something you could try perhaps (I know you can set Steam to use some other folder for game data, I have my Steam on the SSD and games on the HDD for example). I don't know how much risks these tweaks have though...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ManyPopes

Postby ManyPopes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:21 am

I think I'll just format my PC.

Thanks very much for all the advice though :)

AshioHsiao

Postby AshioHsiao » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 am

Mine couldn't start because i had Afterburner open. If i turn off any FPS monitoring program then the game can start~

HighCast

Postby HighCast » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Uhh, this sounds way too familiar from the other indie game where I accidentally tripped to this issue and found the solution.

Guys, do you have a non-standard DPI setting?
If so, try to reset it to 100% (on Vista/7).

Return to “Trine 2”