Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Raicuparta

Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Raicuparta » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:50 pm

There doesn't seem to be a Thread for the recently released Beta for Trine 2, so here it is.

For those of you who don't know it, if you pre-order Trine 2 on Steam right now, you get full access to the Beta.

I had a wonderful experience so far, but I'm afraid to advance too much, maybe I'll want to save it for the full game when I'm playing with my friends :P
It looks absolutely gorgeous, every scenario is more dynamic and has a lot more depth, and the lightning is beautiful. Hard to believe you guys managed to make it so much better than the first one, which was already fantastic.
The gameplay seems piratically unchanged, except for some minor things, I was hoping for a bit more tweaking on that side. Still, it was never bad in the first place, so I'm happy.
That's about all I can say for now, I am really glad I got to contribute for this, the people who made Trine really deserve to be rewarded for this masterpiece ;)

FB_Lauri

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:01 pm

The beta is first two levels, and the first level serves also as a tutorial/introduction so it's much shorter than all the other levels. We will do automatic save copying from beta to full version, so you can play the beta to the max (and for example collect all xp if you like) and with the full continue from there :)

Of course if you look to play the whole game with your friends then I suggest to play from the beginning. You can also play the beta with your friends and once full game unlocks you all can continue from where you were left.

Many of the new gameplay improvements are shown on the later levels and I'm quite sure that you will be positively surprised! 8). Of course by playing a lot of the beta you'll surely notice a bunch of them also :)

Infinity

Postby Infinity » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 pm

@ Raicuparta I totally agree with you the beta is really awesome, and i really look forward to play the entire game ! :D

About the Beta :
- Unlike the first opus the Esc key doesn't work when you're in the inventory window (I key)

Jibece

Postby Jibece » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi there!

Trine 2 is one of the game I've got the most expected this year (with Torchlight 2 ;)), so when I see it this morning... I just buy it :d
I'm sure there's some of thing to say about the beta (why my computer is freezing when I launch the game with "(very) high settings"???), but in first, some questions about the achievements:
- Will we keep them in the "final" version?
- There will be.. more of them in the Steam version?
- HOW THE HELL I'M SUPPOSE TO GET THE FLORAL FEAST ACHIEVEMENT IN THE BETA?? (the last >_<)

Red_Man

Postby Red_Man » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Hello!

I have some problems with beta:
1. Game settings didn't save after first launch for me. Now they are OK.
2. There is no sound in game.
3. Characters are in "civilian" state. You know, like letter T.

I have Windows 7 x64. Motherboard: GA-P55-UD3 (rev. 1.0). No external sound card. Graphics: Nvidia GTX460.

UPD: I fixed that. Verified cache integrity in Steam. Downloaded 300MB. Now everything works great!

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 pm

I also had the configuration not sticking on the first time.

Is the Wizard missing a beard? Don't even remember if he had one in Trine 1, but his avatar has one.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:22 pm

I think the launcher not saving at first launch has something to do with Win 7 blocking the game (or part of it) at first launch. (happened to me too :)). We'll have to investigate this.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:21 am

Jibece wrote:I'm sure there's some of thing to say about the beta (why my computer is freezing when I launch the game with "(very) high settings"???), but in first, some questions about the achievements:
- HOW THE HELL I'M SUPPOSE TO GET THE FLORAL FEAST ACHIEVEMENT IN THE BETA?? (the last >_<)

The computer freeze sounds very, very interesting... Feel free to post more details about that + your system specs.

Achievements will most likely be reset, unfortunately. The Beta is running under a different "app id" and so I'm not sure if we can transfer those properly. And you can't get the Floral Feast Achievement in the Beta, it's not possible because the required "enemy" is only available in the later levels.

We'll launch the Steam version with roughly the same Achievements as the console versions but I'd say it's likely there will be more as we go along... :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Kein

Postby Kein » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 am

Damn, it looks like I can't test beta :<
There is no reason to order Trine 2 since I'm getting it as a gift from you guys, sigh.

I always hate such conditions, why just don't make beta open for everyone >_>

I'M SO FRUSTRATED I COULD JUST SCREAM!

Mekien

Postby Mekien » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 am

I've noticed in the game that the warrior's charge ability seems a little buggy, I managed to find myself in a crate after attempting to charge through it (as shown in the link). While it's not something me and my friend found to be annoying, in fact we enjoyed it quite a bit, I thought you guys might like to know.

http://imageshack.us/f/811/pontiusbattlecage.jpg/

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 am

Haha, awesome! :D

Yes, the charge has been offering a lot of amusement to our QA team, but I haven't heard of that before. Reminds me of a feature which was never implemented ... Simply amazing, though!

(the physics always include a physics-factor, but we call it a feature 8))

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:15 am

Kein wrote:Damn, it looks like I can't test beta :<
There is no reason to order Trine 2 since I'm getting it as a gift from you guys, sigh.

No problem, we are getting the beta keys soon and when they come we will begin handing out them! Maybe we can also set up some MP with our devs so the MP fun is guaranteed as well! 8)

Jibece

Postby Jibece » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:04 am

fb_joel wrote:
Jibece wrote:I'm sure there's some of thing to say about the beta (why my computer is freezing when I launch the game with "(very) high settings"???), but in first, some questions about the achievements:

The computer freeze sounds very, very interesting... Feel free to post more details about that + your system specs.

Achievements will most likely be reset, unfortunately. The Beta is running under a different "app id" and so I'm not sure if we can transfer those properly. And you can't get the Floral Feast Achievement in the Beta, it's not possible because the required "enemy" is only available in the later levels.

We'll launch the Steam version with roughly the same Achievements as the console versions but I'd say it's likely there will be more as we go along... :)

Oh, ok, not a problem :d

About my freeze problem:
- Got a 4850 GPU (buyed in 2009) and an i5 2500k (buyed some weeks ago), with two display (a 19" monitor 1440*900+ 32" HDTV 1920*1080). (edit: I'm using Win7 64bits).
In first, I try to launch the game in the HDTV, but I got "freeze", the screen become black some seconds and the rest of the game stop running (except the music), and, because it's hard to take back the image on the hdtv, I decide to disable it and play with the 19" monitor.
So, I launch it with the maximum settings (very high + AAx8), I get 25-30fps according to fraps, and.. I get ~6 "freeze" during the 2nd chapter (not the first).
Then I relaunch with High setting without AA, same problem, but less time in a game, and relaunch again with middle setting: no freeze (except 1-2 in the online multiplayer).

I take some screens when it freezing: 1 2 3 4 5

Btw, English isn't my native language, sorry if I'm not understandable.

edit: I try with very high settings and v-sync on, got the same problem.
Last edited by Jibece on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kein

Postby Kein » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:40 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
Kein wrote:Damn, it looks like I can't test beta :<

No problem, we are getting the beta keys soon and when they come we will begin handing out them! Maybe we can also set up some MP with our devs so the MP fun is guaranteed as well! 8)

man, I really have hopes for that!
CAN'T WAIT.

Shadownox

Postby Shadownox » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Hello, i would like to report another bug.

I seem to be unable to delete my save games...

Greets Shadownox

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Shadownox wrote:Hello, i would like to report another bug.

I seem to be unable to delete my save games...

Greets Shadownox

Thanks, we will fix it! It's issue with the menus, which for many parts are still under work. 8) (or to be more accurate, working with partial console logic. We will change this to pure PC/Mac logic asap!)

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:28 pm

I just played with a dev, awesome :D
Not sure which one, though :/

ThrustMaster_P

Postby ThrustMaster_P » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:54 pm

I pre-ordered yesterday and started playing the beta, awesome fun! So, thanks Frozenbyte, I can't wait for the full game to be released. :)

A quick question- will there be equipment pickups like there was in the first game?

qian

Postby qian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:10 pm

perhaps i missed something but yesterday when i loaded up the beta on maxed settings the game ended up looking very ugly, the video was a bit shaky (but that could have been intended i guess)
and worst of all, the characters looked like a static mesh that doesn't move (but when moved, the whole character kind of just floats), i could not hop on the mushrooms, it was a nightmare

i figured well... this is beta... so i tried again today on medium settings and got what i hoped for. game looked beautiful (as did trine 1 on mid settings) my characters didn't move like a static mesh, i could hop on the mushrooms, i was so happy i nearly forgot i had to go to school (yay digital media classes)

---

*spoiler alert thing for those who do not want to know about beta for whatever reason that's reading this...*

When I got home from school today I tried to play Trine 2 again but this time on max settings and it was simply beautiful. It felt superb playing this game.

There were a few problems or "sort of" and/or questions though...

- I'm assuming Thief was "too good" in Trine 1? So now she can't swing-jump as well? (as in when swinging on a platform, she can easily get on top of that platform in Trine 1, but it requires a lot more effort now in Trine 2) If so, okay, I can deal with that
*will post pic for reference if requested*

- In this one area with a bouncy mushroom (as in when you stand on it, you bounce) I could not reach the upper platform (a leaf) after pressing the key that jumps higher (w i think it was) so I experimented with wizard and the crate but as I tried to move the crate on the mushroom my wizard's animation froze. It could no longer jump and was stuck in casting mode animation. This wasn't really a problem since character switch fixed it but it was kind of weird.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/61496 ... A7F313813/

- there are a few areas where I was like "hmm what happens if i do this-aw nuts i can't get back up to the previous area" but if that was intended, sounds good. (replay value right?)

- the flowers that shoot can't be killed but if this is intended, sounds good. (more challenging?)

-This game is quite easy to play, the help guides tell us what keys to press, but there's no controls menu is there?
(by the way, the green ball things move even when game is paused cause they're just that awesome right?)
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... 0914472772)

- near the end of the demo where we pull a lever and have a log keep the ramp in place, that log does not keep that ramp in place lol... if this is intended (i doubt it though) cool, again, more challenging.
*will post pic for reference if requested*

- something to do with the snake boss not having the rocks fall on him when he should have and me having to sacrifice one of my heroes so that the snake would kill me but also activate the falling rocks.

i wasn't aiming to bug hunt but since this game is so beautiful i could not help but share my thoughts
here's some screenshots i took (most of them randomly)
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... reenshots/
*again, spoilers, careful*
Last edited by qian on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Raicuparta wrote:I just played with a dev, awesome :D
Not sure which one, though :/

Hehe, yeah, from time to time our devs will be playing the beta :D

We will be also announcing "bigger" sessions when our devs are playing at twitter, http://twitter.com/#!/frozenbyte

ThrustMaster_P wrote:I pre-ordered yesterday and started playing the beta, awesome fun! So, thanks Frozenbyte, I can't wait for the full game to be released. :)

A quick question- will there be equipment pickups like there was in the first game?

All character skills/upgrades have been put into the skill upgrade system (default key currently is "I", will be changed to "tab" when controls configuration patch comes). This is after extensive research and thinking after Trine 1's abilities and skill gain. I understand some may find this unfamiliar, but I believe people will see the depth of the skill system rather quickly. There's also collectible paintings and poems in the chests all around the game (two per level to be exact). Poems add up to the story, too.

qian wrote:perhaps i missed something but yesterday when i loaded up the beta on maxed settings the game ended up looking very ugly, the video was a bit shaky (but that could have been intended i guess)
and worst of all, the characters looked like a static mesh that doesn't move (but when moved, the whole character kind of just floats), i could not hop on the mushrooms, it was a nightmare

i figured well... this is beta... so i tried again today on medium settings and got what i hoped for. game looked beautiful (as did trine 1 on mid settings) my characters didn't move like a static mesh, i could hop on the mushrooms, i was so happy i nearly forgot i had to go to school (yay digital media classes)

*will be editing this post later with screenshots and stuff and possibly a spoiler tag for those who don't want to know this or that*

We have an issue where Windows 7 blocks the games launcher at initial launch, causing the settings to be ignored and game launching at default 1024x768 "safe" settings. We're inspecting this.

Szymciak

A couple of thoughts and questions after playing the BETA

Postby Szymciak » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello there :)
First and foremost I'd like to congratulate you on making Trine 2 an excellently optimised game. To be honest, I had some slowdowns when playing Trine 1 on my laptop on max settings but now I'm shocked to see that the game not only looks a lot better, but also performs a lot better. Congrats on that. I'd also like to express my admiration of the water effects - this is the best water I have seen in a video game. Ever. :)

I have some questions too and I would appreciate if you could answer:
1. Will you add some more levels to the beta? My appetite for the game has grown immensely after playing through the BETA...
2. I also noticed that now the music changes when our heroes engage in a fight. Is that change going to be present in the final version?
3. I also noticed that you changed spoken texts a bit (in comparison to the videos of the tutorial released a couple of months ago). Some are better, some are worse - are those in the BETA the final ones?

Thank you for reply, greeting from Poland :)

Simon.

Quandrastorm

Postby Quandrastorm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:43 pm

so no items to pickup to give you like an extra plank or heatlh?
btw was it just me or was the mana bar completly removed ?
aslo id like the ability to reconfigue my xbox controller keys like in trine1 :P

i got to saw the game is awsome and looks great but a slighlty to dark for my taste, id prfer a ingame brightness slider.

sofar i didnt get any bugs, running the game on maxium qauility! good job

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey guys , i just played through the beta.I preordered the game without trying the demo, because i've read ,that the performance in trine 2 will be even higher than trine 1.So i'm using the same laptop with whom i played trine 1 ,where i got 24~33 fps and with trine 2 i get about 14 fps with the same settings,even with the very low setings the framerate is the same -12~14.Please devs , what should i do?
My secs are intel core 2 duo 2Ghz GPU nvidia 8400m gs 4gb ram.
Last edited by adenin0 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJack

Postby AJack » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:04 am

Hey y'all.

I couldn't hit that pre-order button fast enough.

As for the beta, I'd say it was pretty much a flawless victory for me. No glitches or errors of any kind and excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 with vsync, 2x AA and the 'Very High' preset. My only complaint is that I couldn't click my scroll wheel to change characters as in Trine 1. Levels were as interesting and well-designed as ever, and I really enjoyed the water diverting puzzles (not to mention the giant snail, who was just freakin' adorable).

Needless to say, it's a staggeringly beautiful game. Really, it's one of the prettiest I've ever seen. Battlefield 3 might look real, but Trine 2 looks beautiful. I know which I prefer. Great job to all involved.

EDIT: System spec = Windows XP Home, Intel Core2Quad Q6600, 4gb RAM (limited to 3.5 by Win XP) Geforce GTX 460.

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:07 am

I just got the Trine 2 preorder and the game is still downloading, but casting a fleeting glance at the achievements reveals some... Suspect grammar in them. Please don't take this as malicious, but here's what I found:

*"Surfboard Master
Stand on a plank floating on a single airflow for four seconds"

"Airflow" is the flow of air, and as a physical phenomenon, I don't think it's countable. In other words, you can't say "an airflow" like there can be multiple of them. I would suggest replacing it with a less generic name, something like "on a single air jet" or some such.

*"I Didn't Do It
Make goblins die of three different environmental hazards in a single level"

A preposition here seems erroneous. Goblins typically don't die "of" a specific cause, they die "from" a specific cause. Or, alternately, it's possible to resort to the death "by" cause construct. And, really, why "make goblins die" and not simply "kill goblins?"

*"A Floral Feast
Feed carnivorous plants with three or more different kinds of treats"

"Feed" as a verb is typically used without a preposition. In this case, you could simply "feed carnivorous plants three or more different kinds of treats." Or, if a preposition is necessary, you could reword that to ask players to feed treats "to" the carnivorous plants.

*"Hammer Havoc
Kill an enemy with a thrown hammer bouncing at least once before kill"

"Before kill" is confusing. I can deduce the intended meaning from context, but "before" needs to be followed either by an infinitive verb (i.e. "before killing it") or by a definite article plus noun ("before the kill"). Or, simply cut down on the whole thing and go with "bouncing at least once first." Context, in this case, should carry the meaning across without needing to specify.

*"Cirque de Zoya
Using grapple, swing around an object and reattach grapple again without touching any surface"

Technically, I know what "grapple" stands for her - it stands for the Thief's grappling hook. However, the word "grapple" used as a noun most often refers to a hand-to-hand wrestling type of fight or manoeuvre. I suggest swapping this for "grappling hook," or at the very least introducing a definite article before each use: "using the grapple," "and reattach the grapple."

Again, I apologise if this comes as nit-picky, and I doubly so apologise if I turn out to be wrong, my command of the English language insufficient. That's just what caught my attention when I saw it.

Return to “Trine 2”