Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Infinity

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Infinity » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:21 am

Hi,

1) Would it be possible like the first Opus to include the experience in the characters menu ? ("I" menu)
Ex : => 21/23 xp 20/20 ennemis xp 2/2 secrets

2) I noticed that if you select a skill then click on "info" and then do escape the main menu displays would it be possible to first "quit" the info about skill then esc quit the characters menu then esc display the main menu ?

Malidictus
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Malidictus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 pm

There are a couple of things that have been on my mind that I finally got the screenshots to explain with. Here they are.

The Thief's left leg is... Weird when she draws her bow, and this is more pronounced when aiming down. I checked the original Trine, and the Thief's leg is fine there. Here's a side-by-side comparison:

Image

Note the Trine 2 pic on the left. Specifically, note where her leg joins her hip, and how the leg is bulging upward from where its surface has rotated above its hip joint. I'm not sure if the leg goes too far up, too far forward or if the geometry weighing is off somehow, but this looks very wrong. I suspect the entire leg, from hip to ankle, is just shifted too far forward, because it also makes her foot seem very off. I know she's supposed to be... "Flexible," but that angle at the ankle is really pushing it.

Beyond that, the new look for the checkpoints leaves something to be desired. I get that we now have experience bubbles that look like water bubbles, but why do our checkpoints look like giant water bubbles, as well? The old ones weren't exactly inspiring - just a stone pedestal - but at least they looked like... A thing. This is just a random representation of an abstract meta-game concept. Here's a side-by-side comparison:

Image

You'll note the old Trine checkpoint isn't all that impressive. It's basically a square stone base, a stone pillar, a stone platform at the top and a glowing orb. OK, but at least it's a physical object. The new checkpoint is just a copy of the water bubble, and it looks like a placeholder. Sure, sometimes it's woven into the background, like the first one we spawn at on level 2 is tangled into wad of vines and thorns, as though suspended from them. That's good, but none of the others have that. They're just glowing, floating water bubbles. They need something more.

---

Also while we're at it, I have a couple of request regarding "experience bubbles" and experience potions:

1. Could we please recolour those green so they match the experience potions from the original Trine, and moreover so they don't look like water bubbles? Or is that the point? I know the Knight says "This water is really powerful!" and there are the water bubbles we ride and the water bubbles for checkpoints and the giant vines which were probably made by the water and the sorceress at the end looks like she's underwater, so that's obviously a central theme, but... I'd honestly prefer experience to be green, just so the game doesn't feel like it suffers from the two part trilogy syndrome.

2. Could we leave some kind of placeholder for experience bubbles and potions already picked up? In the original Trine, any experience potion that the heroes have already collected will instead show up as a mana potion in subsequent playthroughs. This helps make levels feel less... Empty once the vials have been collected, it means I have reason to seek out hidden locations even when I've theoretically been there already, and it means I can tell where something was supposed to be even when I've forgotten. I'm not sure what they could be swapped for in this game for lack of Mana, but even if they're swapped for just empty vials that do nothing, I still want to see the forest of floating bubbles there even on a second and third playthrough. It just makes the game feel more alive that way.

---

Also, please don't end this game on a cliffhanger :)

klaymen
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby klaymen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:39 am

Yesterday I've purchased and finally tried it out.

Well, it was even better than I thought. Now, I'm not usually the first to bitch about/praise the graphics, but it is simply wonderful. The world seems more alive and everything.

I love the new puzzle ideas, like the magical plants you have to water, the character skills also look interesting. The achievements are better, I like those where you have to actually achieve something, instead of handing them out for playing the game.

On the other hand, the game feels a bit slower than Trine 1 (but that may be just because of my old PC) and collecting the XP bubbles in the air makes me think of Sonic the Hedgehog or similar platformer instead of Trine. Also while just a minor thing, the pictures in the book (loading screen) look a bit....odd. Now, they're not bad per se, they are just underwhelming compared to the game graphics or the website artworks.

Loge
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Loge » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:59 am

Pre-ordered Trine 2 on Steam and played through the beta levels today - really liked the turn of events, the new settings look beautiful with Trine's graphics and I'm glad there are no more skeletons - they never quite fit in. I also like the fact that the characters get names and more personality. Also, although I haven't tried all the new skills, the Knight seems to be more useful - to be honest he was kind of useless in Trine 1.

My main concern is the battle music. It is really stressful (as opposed to epic/heroic) and kind of ruins the fun. Although I enjoyed battles in the original Trine, I am kind of starting to dread them in Trine 2. I forgot to check whether there's an option to lower the battle music volume, but if it's not there, please add it!

Navn
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 am

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Navn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:03 pm

I'd like to note a minor graphics glitch: if you charge the storm hammer and walk onto a boucy pumpkin the glow effect will remain until the hammer is used. It's just a graphical glitch though and the hammer acts as though uncharged. It actually looks kind of nice
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/63073 ... 8B8A82487/

benjipede
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby benjipede » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 pm

First of all, I would like to commend the beautiful graphics and the challenging enemies. The skeletons in Trine 1 were very easy.
Then I have some "wishes":

-When I as the wizard drags a dead goblin into some spikes, shouldn't the goblin be pierced by them and hang there?

-Goblins cannot climb other frozen goblins. If I freeze a goblin, the goblins behind it cannot participate in the battle. They cannot throw spears either.

-I would like the camera to center a bit more on the character vertically. It's okay that some experience is hidden above the screen. However, I think it would be good if camera followed the character, when he/she is going upwards.

Bigguss
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 am

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Bigguss » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 am

Feedback from my four year old: "Why does the wizard look so much more sad than in old Trine?" (he's referring to the avatar on the top left of the screen.) "He looks more old, and maybe he is more weak and closer to death. Can we change him to be not so sad even if he is more old and weak?"

Just a heads up that to the kiddy-crowd, the wizard avatar has gone from kind of serious and cool to old and sad... :)

User avatar
Kein
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:34 pm
Location: Soviet Empire
Contact:

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Kein » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:05 am

Bigguss wrote:Feedback from my four year old: "Why does the wizard look so much more sad than in old Trine?" (he's referring to the avatar on the top left of the screen.) "He looks more old, and maybe he is more weak and closer to death. Can we change him to be not so sad even if he is more old and weak?"

Just a heads up that to the kiddy-crowd, the wizard avatar has gone from kind of serious and cool to old and sad... :)


That comes from... 4yo kid?

User avatar
RealoFoxtrot
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby RealoFoxtrot » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:09 am

i dont know, i see what he means, the theif looks serious, the Warrior looks energetic, but the wizard looks really upset

Bigguss
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 am

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Bigguss » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 am

Kein wrote:That comes from... 4yo kid?


Yeah- he's almost five, though. :)

He mentioned it again today: said he thought the wizard from "Old Trine" was 80 and the wizard from "New Trine" is 90 (he's got two great-grandparents around those ages, and has been playing with those numbers lately).

He was also a bit irked that I hadn't managed to make the Trine 2 wizard avatar more happy since his request last night. :?

User avatar
Kein
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:34 pm
Location: Soviet Empire
Contact:

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Kein » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:18 pm

4yo nowadays able to comprehend/notice small signs of death (ie make an associative order/parallels) and even know what death is?
Oh god.
*feels old*

Also, there is currently no known way to mod the game, otherwise you could replace the icon of a wizard with one from Trine 1.

User avatar
FB_Esa
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby FB_Esa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:08 am

benjipede wrote:-When I as the wizard drags a dead goblin into some spikes, shouldn't the goblin be pierced by them and hang there?


In real world this would happen but this is the magical world of Trine in which anything can happen :)

But seriously, its a matter of coding. I dont know if this is being implemented but i'll report this wish forward.

benjipede wrote:-Goblins cannot climb other frozen goblins. If I freeze a goblin, the goblins behind it cannot participate in the battle. They cannot throw spears either.


This is a known issue and i heard that it will be fixed for the release.

benjipede wrote:-I would like the camera to center a bit more on the character vertically. It's okay that some experience is hidden above the screen. However, I think it would be good if camera followed the character, when he/she is going upwards.


I see what you mean but the issue here is that if we do this then the player would see outside the map area, which he is not supposed to. Also, if the camera was focused on the player, he/she wouldnt necessary see below him/her and some jumps could end up being suicides :)

Ralp
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Ralp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:31 pm

RealoFoxtrot wrote:i dont know, i see what he means, the theif looks serious, the Warrior looks energetic, but the wizard looks really upset
The wizard is now married and his children learned the fireball spell while he still didnt.
The warrior runs his family's beer brewery and is the king's official supplier.
The thief... well, she's a thief.

User avatar
FB_Esa
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby FB_Esa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Ralp wrote:
RealoFoxtrot wrote:i dont know, i see what he means, the theif looks serious, the Warrior looks energetic, but the wizard looks really upset
The wizard is now married and his children learned the fireball spell while he still didnt.
The warrior runs his family's beer brewery and is the king's official supplier.
The thief... well, she's a thief.



You also should remember that Amadeus didn't want to go to this adventure, maybe that explains why he looks so upset :)

Ralp
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Ralp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Back to the discussion. I just finished the beta with an online partner and I must admit its awesome! New funny puzzles, new abilities (it was about time to allow the wizard to levitate enemies), skill reset and save anywhere u want (probably the 2 best new features). No bugs so far, or at least nothing I recognize as a bug. Also congratulations for the online code, I dont know where my online partner lives but I didnt experience a laggy gameplay. The only thing I miss is the knight's ability to carry an object and throw it.

A suggestion for future updates: create new game modes that explore the multiplayer feature, such as a ladder game (your team faces stronger and stronger waves of enemies).

User avatar
Kein
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:34 pm
Location: Soviet Empire
Contact:

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Kein » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 am

I really liked last level in Trine 1, I think there needs to be entire game mode with such levels: Climb the Tower
Last edited by Kein on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralp
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Ralp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:38 am

Kein wrote:I really liked last level in Trine 2, I think there needs to be entire game mode with such levels: Climb the Tower

I think Tower of Sarek is the last level of Trine 1, but its a good idea for a race between players.

User avatar
Baptiste
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Baptiste » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Hey there, I juste wanted to introduce myself, I didn't find any thread dedicated to newcomers saying hello so I guess I'll just drop a line in this one.

Not much to say about the beta as a lot has already been written in this thread.

Can't wait for the release ! :)

FB_Lauri > Thank you ! Awesome games deserve awesome fansites ! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Baptiste on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Baptiste wrote:Hey there, I juste wanted to introduce myself, I didn't find any thread dedicated to newcomers saying hello so I guess I'll just drop a line in this one.

Not much to say about the beta as a lot has already been written in this thread.

Can't wait for the release ! :)



Welcome! By the way, your site looks awesome! :D

mete0s
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 am

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby mete0s » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:50 pm

This may be a stupid question but i have to be sure.I don't buy games from steam i give money to a friend and he gifts them to me.So he givted me Trine 2 and i play the beta with no problems(and i love it) and i have it in the library.But when i click on Trine 2 in the store i still have to option of pre-ordering for the full version. Is it supposted to be that way??

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:34 pm

mete0s wrote:This may be a stupid question but i have to be sure.I don't buy games from steam i give money to a friend and he gifts them to me.So he givted me Trine 2 and i play the beta with no problems(and i love it) and i have it in the library.But when i click on Trine 2 in the store i still have to option of pre-ordering for the full version. Is it supposted to be that way??


I think it shouldn't have the option, and it should at least on checkout notice that you already own it. But it's a Steam thing so we don't know for real :)

matrices
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby matrices » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:54 am

Yay, in-game saves as promised - thanks.

Your game looks awesome. Especially in 3D. Although the lack of an MSAA mode seems to be the trend these days, it's a tad disappointing, as the performance hit from post-processing AA is pretty big in triple-screen mode. On that note, the game seems to work great in Eyefinity/Surround, but there are two issues:

1. The reticle is stretched out and ugly.
2. The thief's arrows don't seem to fire in the direction that the bow is pointing, it's a little off.

And on another note, I'm not sure whether the "tell me how to solve this hard puzzle in 2/5 min." feature is working, or maybe I'm just really dumb and the puzzle I'm stuck on doesn't count as hard! I'm at what seems to be the end of the level, where there is a snail getting a "shower". To the left there is a plant with magic dust on it. I thought I was supposed to get the water to land on the plant, but tilting the log to make the water go the other way doesn't make the water land in the plant.

User avatar
RealoFoxtrot
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby RealoFoxtrot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:13 am

matrices wrote:...ater to land on the plant, but tilting the log to make the water go the other way doesn't make the water land in the plant.



That's a puzzle. everyone does it... which... would seem that the answer is really well hidden when people pass it

4th3ist
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:43 am

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby 4th3ist » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am

Well.......

Since objects were nerfed from Trine 1 where you could levitate an object directly underneath you, I don't think that it is intended that the wizard can still essentially levitate in-diffidently on one item. While we are on glitches, I've also seen some animation glitches. For instance, The wiz (I only play wiz 8) ) was doing the moonwalk for me constantly the other night. Not complaining really, just pointing out another oddity. The log that is used to solve the stage 2 puzzle can be used for the whole level. This also can't be intended because it operates like a heavy wooden object so it crushes people easily and can also be used to swing on by the Rogue. However, it acts like a light object would for the wiz when he picks it up. This can be manipulated to your advantage as well.

Another BIG bug I found while playing in a LAN setup with my brother was that while playing in Unlimited mode if one person on the team stands right under or very near to the "end boss" of stage 2, and while doing so he very very rapidly switches between characters over and over again, the boss will sort of just sit there and not know what to do.

Some of the bugs I mentioned can be better seen in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2sB3Lk ... e=youtu.be

In particular you will observe the "log glitching" as I have appropriately dubbed. Will post more things as I discover them.

BTW, I LOVE this game in spite of all of the above. In fact, I quite like being able to manipulate objects the way you can in Trine 2 over Trine 1. I would propose it takes a lot more skill to levitate yourself now then it did in Trine 1. Ever since the first time I played Trine I thought to myself "Wow, this is so cool!.... If only it was multiplayer!" And now here we are :) Great job over there DEV's! and everyones else involved also!

User avatar
FB_Esa
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby FB_Esa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:08 am

matrices wrote:Yay, in-game saves as promised - thanks.

Your game looks awesome. Especially in 3D. Although the lack of an MSAA mode seems to be the trend these days, it's a tad disappointing, as the performance hit from post-processing AA is pretty big in triple-screen mode. On that note, the game seems to work great in Eyefinity/Surround, but there are two issues:

1. The reticle is stretched out and ugly.
2. The thief's arrows don't seem to fire in the direction that the bow is pointing, it's a little off.

And on another note, I'm not sure whether the "tell me how to solve this hard puzzle in 2/5 min." feature is working, or maybe I'm just really dumb and the puzzle I'm stuck on doesn't count as hard! I'm at what seems to be the end of the level, where there is a snail getting a "shower". To the left there is a plant with magic dust on it. I thought I was supposed to get the water to land on the plant, but tilting the log to make the water go the other way doesn't make the water land in the plant.


Hello matrices!

Thanks for those issues, i'll forward them to our coders :)

About the puzzle helpers. They do work at the moment but rather strangely. The area in which you need to be for them to work is too small and you cant switch characters while waiting. This issue will be fixed tho so no worries there 8).

4th3ist wrote:Since objects were nerfed from Trine 1 where you could levitate an object directly underneath you, I don't think that it is intended that the wizard can still essentially levitate in-diffidently on one item. While we are on glitches, I've also seen some animation glitches. For instance, The wiz (I only play wiz 8) ) was doing the moonwalk for me constantly the other night. Not complaining really, just pointing out another oddity. The log that is used to solve the stage 2 puzzle can be used for the whole level. This also can't be intended because it operates like a heavy wooden object so it crushes people easily and can also be used to swing on by the Rogue. However, it acts like a light object would for the wiz when he picks it up. This can be manipulated to your advantage as well.


If you mean what the wizard did on that video, then yes. They are all features. We did'nt want to lock people in certain solutions but to encourage them to find new ones. If you find it enjoyable to "self-levitate" yourself through the levels then it is ok with us :)

The moonwalk is a know issue and it will be fixed at some point. Not sure if it makes to the release but its not game breaking so we are focusing on more serious issues at the moment. Thanks for the heads up tho.

The log "issue" is also a known issue. If you meant the disappearing act?
For the wizards ability to use the log for crushing enemies and taking it through the level, it's intented. Again, we don't want to lock down your solutions. If you find it to your liking to use the log, then its fine by us.
It's also intented that the log can be used for thiefs grapple and it will be useful in later levels 8)

4th3ist wrote:Another BIG bug I found while playing in a LAN setup with my brother was that while playing in Unlimited mode if one person on the team stands right under or very near to the "end boss" of stage 2, and while doing so he very very rapidly switches between characters over and over again, the boss will sort of just sit there and not know what to do.


I think this is already fixed but i'll ask our coders if they have implemented it yet.



Thank you for your feedbacks!


Return to “Trine 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests