Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
NeatNit

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby NeatNit » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:21 am

Malidictus wrote:*"I Didn't Do It
Make goblins die of three different environmental hazards in a single level"

A preposition here seems erroneous. Goblins typically don't die "of" a specific cause, they die "from" a specific cause. Or, alternately, it's possible to resort to the death "by" cause construct. And, really, why "make goblins die" and not simply "kill goblins?"

Not true... A man can die of cancer. I'm not sure if "of" can be used for environmental hazards, but I'm pretty sure "from" is even wronger. "My great-grandfather died from a landslide" doesn't sound right. "He died of a landslide" sounds sorta alright, but the correct-est way is "He died in a landslide" (but that doesn't work in the description). I say stick with "of", makes most sense.

All of your other statements are completely true, I hope they get fixed :)

vaelo

Postby vaelo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:32 am

:cry:

I was overwhelmed with anticipation when I saw the Trine 2 Beta was available for download, I've been waiting (like everyone on here) with baited breath for this game!

First let me say that it's beautiful and already very very fun,

but my joy turned bittersweet when I engaged my nVidia 3D Vision system.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me that you're hoping to make this game work in 3D - you can already see the detail in the world in 3D and it's an amazing experience much like the first, but some of the lighting effects are destroying the experience at the moment. I know it's still beta so I'm really hoping that this is a known issue, since 3D Vision support was added to the original game!

Morticus

Postby Morticus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 am

I just finished playing the beta! I'm extremely impressed, it looks and plays beautifully!
Have you considered releasing an artbook? I think the art style of the game is the best I have ever seen :)

Kein

Postby Kein » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Yay, I've got a key from Mikael! If you read this right now Mikael - thank you man, I was about to purchase it already >_>

Anyway, some feedback on the beta.

Intel Core2Quad [email protected],6Ghz
GTX 260
Windows 7 64bit
4GB RAM

Technical side: the only issue I encountered is that settings didn't want to be saved first time I ran settings manger. Second time it worked fine. The game itself works pretty good, smooth framerate, gameplay performance is almost flawless. There was small issues tho, like micro-freezes when you hit Q button anytime (even if there is no box you aim to destroy), no idea why it happens. Also, sometimes -- after some button mashing -- knight acting weird, he don't want to attack or change weapon anymore and this white line appears beside his model:

Some script logic issues: it just me or the experience not being accumulated after you collect 50 bottles? I reached 50 on the field level but decided to go further without wasting the skillpoints. Collected ~10 bottles and then opened skills menu - counter was around 3/50 which is definitely wrong.

No ability to redefine the control keys. Why.jpg

No subtitles in-game when narrator or characters say something. No subs even during cutscenes. Yes, they are enabled in the menu.

Other than that - no other issues noticed, savegame mechanism works fine, used it few times in a row just to check. No noticeable memory leaks either.

Gameplay side: well, first thing I noticed there was something wrong with jumping, sometimes it does not work and I failed to figure out what kind of conditions limit it: the character was on the ground and nothing should have prevent him from jumping. Usually happens when you try to jump in a particular direction, left or right during the series of jumps.

Another thing I didn't like - small amount of surfaces where we can land grappling hook. In Trine there was a lot of random things we could hook up, even if they weren't required for puzzle or something, but now they are quite dozen. That's a bit... boring and disappointing, but oh well.

Oh, and yes - why mana was removed?

Bugs/glicthes:
^ at the beginning of a second level, right after the reunion. The whole wall at the left is "jumpable" with a hook. Btw, this glitch exist since Trine 1.

^there is some dialogue happens and I'm supposed to get a... quest, no? Not getting anything.

^ old good glitch/exploit with levitation on the box still here. Intended? :-P
(will upload video later)

^ and just something silly xD

More to come later, I believe. So far i really like what I see. Scripted, engine-based cutscenes looks pretty good, I really love this addition. Animation looks pretty and smooth.
Oh and... COLORS, OH GOD THOSE COLORS!
Eyegasm.

titus

Postby titus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:52 pm

I have a question......How to extract Trine2's music? It's awesome.in Trine1 I can just change file name into *.rar.but it doesn't work in Trine2.Hmmm,It's annoying.

By the way,I will protect its copyrights.....

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:20 pm

NeatNit wrote:Not true... A man can die of cancer. I'm not sure if "of" can be used for environmental hazards, but I'm pretty sure "from" is even wronger. "My great-grandfather died from a landslide" doesn't sound right. "He died of a landslide" sounds sorta alright, but the correct-est way is "He died in a landslide" (but that doesn't work in the description). I say stick with "of", makes most sense.

I may well have goofed on the explanation here, which is totally my bad. I believe the preposition for cause of death depends on the type of cause. As you said, people die OF natural causes, but they die FROM trauma and IN disasters. I'm actually not entirely sure if those are just "sounds right" rules and what the actual grammar is behind those. I have to confess - I'm not a native English speaker :)

Prepositions aside, "make goblins die" just sounds wrong. Why not just "kill goblins?"

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Malidictus wrote:I have to confess - I'm not a native English speaker :)

Neither am I! ;)

Kein

Postby Kein » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:50 pm

titus wrote:I have a question......How to extract Trine2's music? It's awesome.in Trine1 I can just change file name into *.rar.but it doesn't work in Trine2.Hmmm,It's annoying.

Does not seems to be encoded, all filenames are there, you just need a parser for that.

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Malidictus wrote:Prepositions aside, "make goblins die" just sounds wrong. Why not just "kill goblins?"

Doesn't sound wrong to me, because you don't actually kill them, you manipulate the environment and they just happen to die :P

ThrustMaster_P

Postby ThrustMaster_P » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Hello again, I've been experimenting with the single player beta some more and just wanted to share a couple thoughts.

One of the things I love about this game is the feeling of freedom it gives me to overcome obstacles and defeat enemies in different ways (even though I know there are still only a limited number of ways to do so...still fun to experiment). But, there were a couple of things I thought of doing to torment the goblins some more, a couple of those 'What if I...' ideas, and I was disappointed to see that they don't work. I'm sure it is too late in the schedule to make these kinds of changes, but I thought I would share them anyway.

I love that the wizard can levitate enemies, but I was disappointed that he couldn't rotate the enemies in the air like he could some other things. Since goblins don't die from being dropped from great heights (they just land on their bum and then get up), I was hoping that the wizard could rotate them and drop them on their heads which would kill them. No luck. :/

I also tried to bounce goblins off of the bouncy toadstools, but found that the goblins don't bounce. This was especially sad. ;)

Still, a fun experience on the whole! Thanks for listening!

Red_Man

Postby Red_Man » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Kein wrote:Some script logic issues: it just me or the experience not being accumulated after you collect 50 bottles? I reached 50 on the field level but decided to go further without wasting the skillpoints. Collected ~10 bottles and then opened skills menu - counter was around 3/50 which is definitely wrong.

Yeah. I want to add that notification about available upgrade is really bad. I don't notice it at all. Same happened in Trine too.

Hey, dev's! Can you add big pointer or tip or distinct sound for this?

Hope I'm not the only one who doesn't notice it.

Paul Rutten

Postby Paul Rutten » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:19 am

Just finished playing through the beta, amazing and haven't found anything I don't like yet. Just a few questions:

-I notice there are only 13 achievements for the beta, any chance there will be more in the full game?

-Trine 1 had an inventory system where hidden boxes would contain items that could be given to characters to upgrade them, which I loved and really added to the replay value. I didn't find any of this in the Beta, will it still be there?

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:25 am

There's something else I noticed when actually playing the game: Experience vials.

The good: They no longer bounce off characters' heads if they drop from above. Instead, characters just pick falling experience vials. This is very good news.

The bad: They're no longer experience "vials," but are instead just experience, um... Bubbles? Why was it decided to change form so drastically? In the original Trine, these were quite literally vials of green liquid, and now they resemble smaller versions of the water bubbles you can stand on in some places.

---

Separate from that, I have a question: Are there any specific puzzles or "vial" locations that expressly require multiple players to obtain? For instance, there was a puzzle which required me to pull a lever on one side of a pit, which raised a platform on the far other side of it, and this platform then retracted within I think two seconds or so - easy if the second player is sitting next to it, not so much if you have to run up to the thing.

It's not impossible, of course - I did it both times I tried, but aside from bringing a friend, how am I supposed to run this? In the original Trine, I found that EVERY single puzzle could be very hard if you just rush blindly into it, yet could be made VERY easy if you knew how to approach it. Skill vs. planning, as it were. But I couldn't figure out an easier approach than just running and praying on that one.

titus

Postby titus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:06 am

Kein wrote:
titus wrote:I have a question......How to extract Trine2's music? It's awesome.in Trine1 I can just change file name into *.rar.but it doesn't work in Trine2.Hmmm,It's annoying.

Does not seems to be encoded, all filenames are there, you just need a parser for that.

*.fbq,I didn't find any existent parser on google yet.....Maybe it will be there soon.

Kein

Postby Kein » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:37 am

Malidictus wrote:
Separate from that, I have a question: Are there any specific puzzles or "vial" locations that expressly require multiple players to obtain? For instance, there was a puzzle which required me to pull a lever on one side of a pit, which raised a platform on the far other side of it, and this platform then retracted within I think two seconds or so - easy if the second player is sitting next to it, not so much if you have to run up to the thing.

It's not impossible, of course - I did it both times I tried, but aside from bringing a friend, how am I supposed to run this? In the original Trine, I found that EVERY single puzzle could be very hard if you just rush blindly into it, yet could be made VERY easy if you knew how to approach it. Skill vs. planning, as it were. But I couldn't figure out an easier approach than just running and praying on that one.

No,that puzzle has at last 4 different solutions (including the one with lever) and second player is not required.

halo

Postby halo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:14 am

I think ideally everyone should be able to access Trine 2 beta...Why restrict Trine 2 beta to only those who actually pre order the game???

I know many of my friends who would like to try Trine 2 Beta before pre ordering Trine 2!!!! :D

Paul Rutten

Postby Paul Rutten » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:03 pm

I just figured out the lighting in the start menu. Sorry if everybody else already realized this, but I just have to say it: ITS DYNAMIC! I love you guys! :D The lighting changes depending on the time of day you start the game! :o

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks guys for all the notices and discussion. I'll try to answer to as many as possible ..

Malidictus wrote:I just got the Trine 2 preorder and the game is still downloading, but casting a fleeting glance at the achievements reveals some... Suspect grammar in them.

I'll inform our Writer, I'm sure she finds at least some of this to be fixed.

vaelo wrote:Please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me that you're hoping to make this game work in 3D - you can already see the detail in the world in 3D and it's

an amazing experience much like the first, but some of the lighting effects are destroying the experience at the moment. I know it's still beta so I'm really hoping that

this is a known issue, since 3D Vision support was added to the original game!

Nvidia 3D support is planned, but we just have general improvements, Mac and Linux versions priorized higher. Once they are done I'm sure our programmers find time for this also 8)

Morticus wrote:I just finished playing the beta! I'm extremely impressed, it looks and plays beautifully!
Have you considered releasing an artbook? I think the art style of the game is the best I have ever seen :)

There is a small artbook with the retail version of the game :D

Kein wrote:Technical side: the only issue I encountered is that settings didn't want to be saved first time I ran settings manger. Second time it worked fine.

We have a problem where Win 7 blocks the saving of the launcher at first launch. We'll inspect this.

Kein wrote:The game itself works pretty good, smooth framerate, gameplay performance is almost flawless. There was small issues tho, like micro-freezes when you hit Q

button anytime (even if there is no box you aim to destroy), no idea why it happens. Also, sometimes -- after some button mashing -- knight acting weird, he don't want to

attack or change weapon anymore and this white line appears beside his model:

Some fun for our QA team! Thankfully they are very good at re-producing these issues.

Kein wrote:Some script logic issues: it just me or the experience not being accumulated after you collect 50 bottles? I reached 50 on the field level but decided to go

further without wasting the skillpoints. Collected ~10 bottles and then opened skills menu - counter was around 3/50 which is definitely wrong.

Every 50 experience turns into one skill point, at what point the experience count is reset. I hope you got the skill point, though?

Kein wrote:No ability to redefine the control keys. Why.jpg

This is coming shortly! :)

Kein wrote:No subtitles in-game when narrator or characters say something. No subs even during cutscenes. Yes, they are enabled in the menu.

Hmm, sounds really strange. Can you verify this from menu and in-game?

Kein wrote:Other than that - no other issues noticed, savegame mechanism works fine, used it few times in a row just to check. No noticeable memory leaks either.

Good to hear!

Kein wrote:Gameplay side: well, first thing I noticed there was something wrong with jumping, sometimes it does not work and I failed to figure out what kind of

conditions limit it: the character was on the ground and nothing should have prevent him from jumping. Usually happens when you try to jump in a particular direction, left or

right during the series of jumps.

Hmm, once again something very strange. We'll have to look into this.

Kein wrote:Another thing I didn't like - small amount of surfaces where we can land grappling hook. In Trine there was a lot of random things we could hook up, even if they

weren't required for puzzle or something, but now they are quite dozen. That's a bit... boring and disappointing, but oh well.

We had to look into some compromise with the Thief not being able to just swing through everything - but I think in the further levels there are a lot of options for grappling

hook as well, so usually our level designer managed to keep grappling hook while implementing other kinds of puzzles which still require "additional" work.

Kein wrote:Oh, and yes - why mana was removed?

We decided it was only artificial limitation for mainly the Wizard, and mana ending with Wizard was always non-wanted solution which in Trine 1 was solved by having random spawns with mana drops. We felt all this combined to a much too complicated system, even I must admit mana would also have it's benefits.

Kein wrote:Bugs/glicthes:
^ at the beginning of a second level, right after the reunion. The whole wall at the left is "jumpable" with a hook. Btw, this glitch exist since Trine 1.

D'oh! And I thought this was already fixed .. well, maybe we fixed something else.

Kein wrote:Image
^there is some dialogue happens and I'm supposed to get a... quest, no? Not getting anything.

Heh, it's just a secret place which rewards with a small conversation. :)

^ old good glitch/exploit with levitation on the box still here. Intended? :-P
(will upload video later)

Heh, indeed it's half-intentional, but we have to check it again as it's so easy to do with PC/Mac

^ and just something silly xD

Yeah, unfortunately we didn't have time to fix absolutely everything, so this remained. :/

Kein wrote:More to come later, I believe. So far i really like what I see. Scripted, engine-based cutscenes looks pretty good, I really love this addition. Animation looks

pretty and smooth.
Oh and... COLORS, OH GOD THOSE COLORS!
Eyegasm.

Thanks! :)

ThrustMaster_P wrote:I also tried to bounce goblins off of the bouncy toadstools, but found that the goblins don't bounce. This was especially sad. ;)

Yeah, for this we definitely should do something! :)

Red_Man wrote:Yeah. I want to add that notification about available upgrade is really bad. I don't notice it at all. Same happened in Trine too.

Hey, dev's! Can you add big pointer or tip or distinct sound for this?

We have to look into this.

Paul Rutten wrote:I notice there are only 13 achievements for the beta, any chance there will be more in the full game?

I can't make any promises yet, but of course it would be fun 8)

Paul Rutten wrote:Trine 1 had an inventory system where hidden boxes would contain items that could be given to characters to upgrade them, which I loved and really added to the replay value. I didn't find any of this in the Beta, will it still be there?

We decided to replace the inventory system with more insightful character skill upgrades. Granted, there are still a few of them, but most if not all of them add real depth (and fun!) to the gameplay :)

Malidictus wrote:There's something else I noticed when actually playing the game: Experience vials.

The good: They no longer bounce off characters' heads if they drop from above. Instead, characters just pick falling experience vials. This is very good news.

The bad: They're no longer experience "vials," but are instead just experience, um... Bubbles? Why was it decided to change form so drastically? In the original Trine, these were quite literally vials of green liquid, and now they resemble smaller versions of the water bubbles you can stand on in some places.

We have both physical experience vials, which still bounce and act phycis-like, and then we have the floating exprience, which is kind of "XP escaped from broken XP vials". The reason for two type experience is that the floating can be used to require player to actually reach the experience, while physics vials can be manipulated with other physics objects.

Malidictus wrote:Separate from that, I have a question: Are there any specific puzzles or "vial" locations that expressly require multiple players to obtain? For instance, there was a puzzle which required me to pull a lever on one side of a pit, which raised a platform on the far other side of it, and this platform then retracted within I think two seconds or so - easy if the second player is sitting next to it, not so much if you have to run up to the thing.

All experience is collectable in single player, but some of the hardest secrets are made super-hard. Multiplayer or later-game skills can be used to ease solution, but it's not required. Please note that you can freely go back to previous levels with your current skills - the game just only saves to the latest played level so be sure to back-track in-between levels :). You can also turn single-player to multiplayer and vice versa, so you don't need to begin a new game to have your friend to assist you at some point.

halo wrote:I think ideally everyone should be able to access Trine 2 beta...Why restrict Trine 2 beta to only those who actually pre order the game???

I know many of my friends who would like to try Trine 2 Beta before pre ordering Trine 2!!!! :D

Once the game is released most of current beta will turn into a demo, at which point people can experience Trine 2 before doing the purchase. At now it will remain as a bonus for our early supporters :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Paul Rutten wrote:I just figured out the lighting in the start menu. Sorry if everybody else already realized this, but I just have to say it: ITS DYNAMIC! I love you guys! :D The lighting changes depending on the time of day you start the game! :o

8)

I personally like more the night scene, but of course having them both is like win-win! :D

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Is there chance that the final version of trine 2 runs faster than this beta ,cause as i mentioned earlier it runs at the half speed of trine 1 with same settings on the same machine.A simple yes or no will be good.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:14 pm

adenin0 wrote:Is there chance that the final version of trine 2 runs faster than this beta ,cause as i mentioned earlier it runs at the half speed of trine 1 with same settings on the same machine.A simple yes or no will be good.

If the problem is at our end we will definitely fix it. There's a possibility that for example AA is causing issues at the moment, so you should try for example without AA. There's a ton of other driver, etc. possibilities also.

In general, Trine 2 should run equally or very near to Trine 1, but of course there can be some bugs which happen only with certain configurations. If the problem is in the game we will fix it.

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply,i never use AA so that's not the issue .Thespecs i 'm using for the beta and also for trine 1 are core 2 duo 2Ghz ,gpu nvidia 8400m gs ,4GB ram win xp.

sigma47

Postby sigma47 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:11 pm

So i've played the beta dont know how many times and wanted to share my thoughts. Some of my points may be a bit nitpicky and i also don't know which points you can adress until december but i wanted to add them nevertheless.
Apart from these though i wanted to say this is the best amount of money invested in a game for a long time. Grafics are 6/5 (didn't find any issues with the different settings there), gameplay feels good and adds some nice little features. Story seems ok-ish (some 1-liners and Zoyas huge excitement to go on another journey seemed a bit missplaced) and voice acting is great as ever. Overall a great experience. Can't wait for the official release.

Tutorial
"Conjur Boxes Tutorial"
Maybe i've missed the line there but is there something that tells you you have to draw a square for creating a box? Probably just a fault on my ned.

"Blocking Tutorial"
Just like in the first game i don't really get the "use shield to block falling rocks - tutorial". You can run through there without troubles without blocking anything at all.

"Vine-Boss Fight - Knight Tutorial"
Don't know if intended but you can just stand around in that fight waiting for the trine to pick you up.

Gameplay
"Hammering last Boss"
The "Throw Hammer" ability seems overpowered at the snake boss. Just standing at entrance and throw your hammer at the destructible platforms solves the fight. Maybe you can make the plattforms only destrucitble by the boss (especially because "Throw Hammer" only costs 1 skillpoint).

"Hidden Stuff"
Maybe it's just me but at least in the first two levels i didn't have any problems getting all the experience flasks or chests. Would be happy if this changes during the later levels.

"Conjuring"
If you mouseover a levitate-able object you can't start drawing with Amadeus. Maybe it's intended because of a feature yet to come in the game...

"Throw da Hammer"
Can you somehow reduce the time it takes to make it come back to you? I know i can just switch to sword and shield but waiting up to 8 seconds for that nifty weapon to return feels awkward.

"Bubbles Part 1"
You can push around bubbles with levitate-able objects to speed up their flight or completly change their flight direction. This renders some puzzles quite useless. Maybe inteded.

Level Design

"#1"
First good example of sideways flying bubbles

"#2"
The following puzzles seems somewhat useless. With a tiny bit of timing you can just jump all over this one.

"#3"
In the following puzzle i don't know whether it's intended that even if that log blocks the pulled up bridge it gets pushed back if the bridge pulls down - making the whole attempt almost useless if you don't jump after that piece of log right away and pull of some jumping.

"#4"
Levitate box aside, throw hammer at wooden platform, grapple box to climb up -> save yourself a puzzle to get that elevator down.

Animations
"Amadeus meets Pontius"
Partways the animations completly freeze or are just so minimal it overall renders this small dialog pretty static.

"Switching from facing left to facing right positions"
When charging an attack, holding shield or similar actions are performed and you change the direction you are facing your character just hopps into the other animation. Can we have a "turn around" animation here just like when you turn around while running?

"Bubbles Part 2"
If you rappidly jump on and off of bubbles the "wabbling" animation doens't start and it just switches to its static float animation (this happens after jumping off the bubble).

"Hammerless run"
As it seems when Pontius lost his hammer and is running around he just uses his sword&shield animation without shield and sword. Just doesn't look very nice.

Bugs

"Levitating Boxes"
(this might be a bug someone before my already posted - not sure)
You can create boxes that float in mid air if left untouched. I recreated this bug multiple times when creating and destroying boxes quickly after another.

"Arrow Spawn Position"
Shooting a bow (especially when not charged" spawns the arrow sliglty below the position you'd expect it.

"Vines...?"
Touching vines doesn't matter at all. You can basicly walk all over those in knights tutorial.

Minor Points

You can grapple a big wooden box standing right beside you. This and other grapple moves make for some weird rope animations.

The double jump animation for Zoya is somewhat barely noticeable. Most often it just looks like shes floating upwards.

Maybe it's just me but ina lot of poses Zoyas breast size just seems a bit too much...

namko

Postby namko » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:26 pm

A little "bug" I found:
http://s472.photobucket.com/albums/rr83 ... Trine2.jpg

That bue/purple thing only shows when I stand in the middle of the bridge.:)

christhercguy

Postby christhercguy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:42 pm

Can you put in a way to adjust the sped of the target cursor when using the wizard with a controller. It does seem pretty slow.

Return to “Trine 2”