Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
FB_Lauri

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:42 pm

christhercguy wrote:Can you put in a way to adjust the sped of the target cursor when using the wizard with a controller. It does seem pretty slow.

Yes, this feature is coming when we patch in the controller configuration stuff, hopefully soon. 8)

khodak

Postby khodak » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:19 pm

When we play in coop mode with my friend and Thief fire to the Knight shield, game crashes (on Knight's machine).

Ravenbar

Postby Ravenbar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:32 pm

I like it when there's good PC titles like this, so I pre-ordered. A few words on the beta:

* It looks great. Very lush and colorful.

* Although I haven't played much yet, the game doesn't seem to exhibit the same stuttering problem in SLI mode as Trine 1. Hopefully this will hold true for the entire game. After all, such beautiful art deserves the Very High setting, and I'll need SLI for that. :)

* The "click here to start" prompt is a bit consoley and unnecessary. I trust it'll be removed in retail. No biggie or anything, but you know.

* CSAA (Coverage Sampling Anti-Aliasing) doesn't seem to work when forced from the nVidia Control Panel (Override). I have no way of detecting whether the Enhance setting is actually in effect. I like CSAA (it's a more optimized version of MSAA), so if it's easy to put in the compatibility flag, could it be done?

Looking forward to the game. Touches like bringing back the same voice actors and composer are a mark of quality.

Edit: paragraphs FTW

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:44 pm

khodak wrote:When we play in coop mode with my friend and Thief fire to the Knight shield, game crashes (on Knight's machine).

We'll definitely fix this! Trivia: according to our QA, this bug was only added to final release candidate of the live beta. Sometimes it's this unfortunate! :?

Ravenbar wrote:I like it when there's good PC titles like this, so I pre-ordered. A few words on the beta:

* It looks great. Very lush and colorful.
* Although I haven't played much yet, the game doesn't seem to exhibit the same stuttering problem in SLI mode as Trine 1. Hopefully this will hold true for the entire game. After all, such beautiful art deserves the Very High setting, and I'll need SLI for that. :)
* The "click here to start" prompt is a bit consoley and unnecessary. I trust it'll be removed in retail. No biggie or anything, but you know.
* CSAA (Coverage Sampling Anti-Aliasing) doesn't seem to work when forced from the nVidia Control Panel (Override). I have no way of detecting whether the Enhance setting is actually in effect. I like CSAA (it's a more optimized version of MSAA), so if it's easy to put in the compatibility flag, could it be done?

Looking forward to the game. Touches like bringing back the same voice actors and composer are a mark of quality.

Thanks! Regarding the title screen waiting for input before menu, yes it's very console-style, but the title screen is also playable, which makes it bit hard to decide should it begin as title screen or straight to menus-style. The menu opens also with enter and esc, if that makes it any more PC-ish. :)

Ravenbar

Postby Ravenbar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Ah right, well then it's a bit different. And escape will do fine.

Thronlun

Postby Thronlun » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 am

Looking great so far tho I have came across 1 bug after 2 playthroughs.

If you kill a goblin right next to a wall his 'dead' graphic goes all messed up and gets stuck next to the wall and keeps collapsing/moving about. I found the same to be true when you kill a goblin with the Thiefs kick ability when swinging. I only used this once to kill something so it might be a one off in this case. The dead goblins basically kept turning themselves inside out and rotating around. They both settled down to stillness after 30seconds or so. Think its probably something to do with the physics engine.

Probably not relevant but run q9550 2.83 processor ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-D 1.XX motherboard and Nvidia GTX275 3d card, 4 gig RAM.

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 am

I just got a weird bug, after my character was teleported for being to far away from everyone else. I really don't understand why this is even a thing, there shouldn't be any teleportation at all in online games.
But what happened was, I was teleported, and after that my character (the wizard) had his animations all messed up, he was runing funny (I think it was some other runing animation that wasn't supposed to happen for so long), and the physiscs of his robe were strange. Then he just froze and I was making him just float around without moving his arms or legs, unitl I got teleported again and it fixed it.

Another bug, playing online again, get a bit of lag, and suddenly the sound starts stuttering, for some seconds there's no sound at all, but visually everything's fine, and the weird thing is that the other player also had the same problem, when the sound stopped compeltely she said it happened to her too. It came back after a few seconds.

Thronlun

Postby Thronlun » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 am

Just tried a multiplayer game with a friend and came across a couple things.

First we had a real problem in getting the game to launch, but got there at 3rd attempt. Started playing through the into levels. Friend needed about 5-6 attempts to connect to the game. Once he did connect we had real problems with lag. I was hosting and he was stuttering around all over the place(both on broadband connections 1 in Scotland other England). Eventually he disappeared off my screen yet i could still see his interactions with the environment(eg destroying walls etc). After that happened for a few mins the game crashed on my end and i got the following error:

Exception clode: 0xc0000005
Address:0x81299a
Minidump:
c:// programfiles (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/trine2beta/log/trine2_32bit.exe.dmp

When this happened friend got the option to save the game which he did. To see if it would solve the lag he hosted next time and tried to resume from the saved game. Instead of starting where we had left (end of knight intro level) we were right at the start again. We once again had problems with lag but different to the first time. Sound kept stuttering or cutting out for up to about 4-5s yet did not affect gameplay. At this point friend crashed.

I then started hosting once again. No major problems this time but still couple issues. At some points(relatively often friends character was moving in what appeared to be slow motion on my screen for walking/jumping etc. I thought it was because i was hosting however there was a couple occasions i was going in slow motion on his screen as well. Was about a 90/10% split tho in terms of who was affected, the 90% being mainly me that seen the lag. Once we were about halfway through the second level the lag pretty much disappeared and it was playing great.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:22 am

I'll try to answer the open questions...

Infinity wrote:- Unlike the first opus the Esc key doesn't work when you're in the inventory window (I key)

This will be fixed.

Jibece wrote:About my freeze problem:
- Got a 4850 GPU (buyed in 2009) and an i5 2500k (buyed some weeks ago), with two display (a 19" monitor 1440*900+ 32" HDTV 1920*1080). (edit: I'm using Win7 64bits).
In first, I try to launch the game in the HDTV, but I got "freeze", the screen become black some seconds and the rest of the game stop running (except the music), and, because it's hard to take back the image on the hdtv, I decide to disable it and play with the 19" monitor.
So, I launch it with the maximum settings (very high + AAx8), I get 25-30fps according to fraps, and.. I get ~6 "freeze" during the 2nd chapter (not the first).
Then I relaunch with High setting without AA, same problem, but less time in a game, and relaunch again with middle setting: no freeze (except 1-2 in the online multiplayer).

Hmm, we'll have a new update soon, hopefully fixes a few things related to this... The freezes don't crash though? Might make it harder to figure out, but let's see how it goes after the update goes live (maybe Tuesday).

Szymciak wrote:First and foremost I'd like to congratulate you on making Trine 2 an excellently optimised game. To be honest, I had some slowdowns when playing Trine 1 on my laptop on max settings but now I'm shocked to see that the game not only looks a lot better, but also performs a lot better. Congrats on that. I'd also like to express my admiration of the water effects - this is the best water I have seen in a video game. Ever. :)

I have some questions too and I would appreciate if you could answer:
1. Will you add some more levels to the beta? My appetite for the game has grown immensely after playing through the BETA...
2. I also noticed that now the music changes when our heroes engage in a fight. Is that change going to be present in the final version?
3. I also noticed that you changed spoken texts a bit (in comparison to the videos of the tutorial released a couple of months ago). Some are better, some are worse - are those in the BETA the final ones?

Thanks. :) Glad to hear it runs better (seems like it runs a tiny bit better or tiny bit worse on some systems, but like you said the graphics are better). :)

1. We probably won't... Not completely decided yet though so who knows... :)
2. Yes.
3. The Beta ones are final. Which ones do you think are worse?

Quandrastorm wrote:so no items to pickup to give you like an extra plank or heatlh?
btw was it just me or was the mana bar completly removed ?
i got to saw the game is awsome and looks great but a slighlty to dark for my taste, id prfer a ingame brightness slider.

No items this time. Hopefully you won't miss them in the final game though. Mana has been removed too.
Brightness slider should be in the Help & Options menu I believe.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:41 am

adenin0 wrote:Hey guys , i just played through the beta.I preordered the game without trying the demo, because i've read ,that the performance in trine 2 will be even higher than trine 1.So i'm using the same laptop with whom i played trine 1 ,where i got 24~33 fps and with trine 2 i get about 14 fps with the same settings,even with the very low setings the framerate is the same -12~14.Please devs , what should i do?
My secs are intel core 2 duo 2Ghz GPU nvidia 8400m gs 4gb ram.

The quality settings don't actually work yet, at least not properly. I believe once we get that working it will improve framerate a bit. So please hold tight for a while, and if the game still won't run smooth when it's officially launched (or shortly after), we'll refund the purchase.

titus wrote:I have a question......How to extract Trine2's music? It's awesome.in Trine1 I can just change file name into *.rar.but it doesn't work in Trine2.Hmmm,It's annoying. By the way,I will protect its copyrights.....

Unfortunately the new data packages can't be opened easily. We have a tool for that but at the moment we don't plan to release it. The music/soundtrack will be available for sale around launch time (and/or you can soon find the music on YouTube at low quality I'm sure).

sigma47 wrote:So i've played the beta dont know how many times and wanted to share my thoughts. Some of my points may be a bit nitpicky and i also don't know which points you can adress until december but i wanted to add them nevertheless.
Apart from these though i wanted to say this is the best amount of money invested in a game for a long time. Grafics are 6/5 (didn't find any issues with the different settings there), gameplay feels good and adds some nice little features. Story seems ok-ish (some 1-liners and Zoyas huge excitement to go on another journey seemed a bit missplaced) and voice acting is great as ever. Overall a great experience. Can't wait for the official release.

Wow, thanks for the feedback and detailed comments. I think both Lauri and me read them but it's just too much to reply on! :lol: Half of them are as-designed basically, and the others either bugs or other things that shouldn't happen... We'll fix a few of those but not all. Thanks for reporting in any case, very analytical. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:50 am

Thronlun wrote:If you kill a goblin right next to a wall his 'dead' graphic goes all messed up and gets stuck next to the wall and keeps collapsing/moving about. I found the same to be true when you kill a goblin with the Thiefs kick ability when swinging. I only used this once to kill something so it might be a one off in this case. The dead goblins basically kept turning themselves inside out and rotating around. They both settled down to stillness after 30seconds or so. Think its probably something to do with the physics engine.

Yeah, these can happen sometimes. Physics and ragdolls, not always playing nice. It should not be a very generic problem though, so hopefully doesn't bother too much in the final game.

Raicuparta wrote:I just got a weird bug, after my character was teleported for being to far away from everyone else. I really don't understand why this is even a thing, there shouldn't be any teleportation at all in online games.
But what happened was, I was teleported, and after that my character (the wizard) had his animations all messed up, he was runing funny (I think it was some other runing animation that wasn't supposed to happen for so long), and the physiscs of his robe were strange. Then he just froze and I was making him just float around without moving his arms or legs, unitl I got teleported again and it fixed it.

Another bug, playing online again, get a bit of lag, and suddenly the sound starts stuttering, for some seconds there's no sound at all, but visually everything's fine, and the weird thing is that the other player also had the same problem, when the sound stopped compeltely she said it happened to her too. It came back after a few seconds.

The teleporting is a feature, although in some cases it can be unwanted. Most of the time it should work ok - we want to keep the players reasonably close together (I think it's about 3 screen lengths). The animation stuff isn't normal though - the Wizard probably got stuck in the "slide" animation, and that's known to happen sometimes, but the physics and freezing is weird. We'll look into this as we get closer to launch (e.g. it's not a high priority issue but something we'd like fixed at some point).

For the sounds, we should have a fix in the next update.

Thronlun wrote:First we had a real problem in getting the game to launch, but got there at 3rd attempt. Started playing through the into levels. Friend needed about 5-6 attempts to connect to the game. Once he did connect we had real problems with lag. I was hosting and he was stuttering around all over the place(both on broadband connections 1 in Scotland other England). Eventually he disappeared off my screen yet i could still see his interactions with the environment(eg destroying walls etc). After that happened for a few mins the game crashed on my end and i got the following error:

Exception clode: 0xc0000005
Address:0x81299a
Minidump:
c:// programfiles (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/trine2beta/log/trine2_32bit.exe.dmp

When this happened friend got the option to save the game which he did. To see if it would solve the lag he hosted next time and tried to resume from the saved game. Instead of starting where we had left (end of knight intro level) we were right at the start again. We once again had problems with lag but different to the first time. Sound kept stuttering or cutting out for up to about 4-5s yet did not affect gameplay. At this point friend crashed.

I then started hosting once again. No major problems this time but still couple issues. At some points(relatively often friends character was moving in what appeared to be slow motion on my screen for walking/jumping etc. I thought it was because i was hosting however there was a couple occasions i was going in slow motion on his screen as well. Was about a 90/10% split tho in terms of who was affected, the 90% being mainly me that seen the lag. Once we were about halfway through the second level the lag pretty much disappeared and it was playing great.

Wow. Some interesting reports. :) The good news is that I think these will be fixed in the update. The first one was probably happening due to the many connects/disconnects, that seems to trigger some weird lag at the moment. (A more interesting question is why so much trouble with connecting, but I think we'll look more closely into those issues in a couple of weeks, hopefully it was just a random issue.) The second one should be fixed as well in the next update.

The slow motion is the most interesting of these, I'm not sure if we've done anything about that yet - if it happens again after the next update, please let us know.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ravenbar

Postby Ravenbar » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:59 am

I can report that custom FXAA works in the beta. It still incurs a noticeable performance loss, but less than standard MSAA. It performs a function similar to Transparency AA as well, which is cool. It shows for 2D stuff like leaves.

Any news on CSAA support, Joel? nVidia claims it's very easy to allow, though I wouldn't know personally.

DomiStyle

Postby DomiStyle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:10 am

Hello,

I played the Beta for quite a while now and I really enjoy it, I have one wish though.
Could you do something against the flying wizard?
Here is what I mean:

It just makes the game unbalanced.
Maybe make it heavier if the wizard itself is on it so he can only lift it a few inches or something but he shouldn't be able to fly in my opinion.
However, I think it is fine if he can move the coop partners.

On another side: All the gamepad/mouse/keyboard button names are missing in the german localization but I guess you already noticed that. ;)

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 am

Although guys its very kind of you to offer me a refund ,i would like instead to play this amazing game. I never preorder games actualy , but Trine 1 is my favoritre game.I hope you manage to optimise the game ,so i can play this unic game at least at the same speed.

khodak

Postby khodak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Achievement "High Rise" seemed do not working. I have constructed a tower made of ten objects and stand on top of it, but nothing happened.

sigma47

Postby sigma47 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:16 pm

where do you actually get that many objects to stand on?

Kein

Postby Kein » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:23 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:Thanks guys for all the notices and discussion. I'll try to answer to as many as possible ..
Kein wrote:No subtitles in-game when narrator or characters say something. No subs even during cutscenes. Yes, they are enabled in the menu.

Hmm, sounds really strange. Can you verify this from menu and in-game?

Hm... looks like the same issue with setting not being saved again. I enabled subs manually in the options file and now they do work as supposed to.

Anyway, there is the video:

khodak wrote:Achievement "High Rise" seemed do not working. I have constructed a tower made of ten objects and stand on top of it, but nothing happened.

Nope, it works. Got it right here:

DomiStyle

Postby DomiStyle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Kein wrote:
FB_Lauri wrote:Thanks guys for all the notices and discussion. I'll try to answer to as many as possible ..
Kein wrote:No subtitles in-game when narrator or characters say something. No subs even during cutscenes. Yes, they are enabled in the menu.

Hmm, sounds really strange. Can you verify this from menu and in-game?

Hm... looks like the same issue with setting not being saved again. I enabled subs manually in the options file and now they do work as supposed to.

Anyway, there is the video:

khodak wrote:Achievement "High Rise" seemed do not working. I have constructed a tower made of ten objects and stand on top of it, but nothing happened.

Nope, it works. Got it right here:

@The end of the video: You can also fly very high with the wizard on 2 planks, move forward so the "cutscene" starts and then your wizard will stand up on the Trine on the planks while in cutscene.

Kein

Postby Kein » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:57 pm

What is "carnivore plants"? I take it they do not present in beta?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Kein wrote:What is "carnivore plants"? I take it they do not present in beta?

Yeah, they are only in the 7th level or so .. :)

Kein

Postby Kein » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Well, I've got all possible achievements then and... my first crash:

http://www.everfall.com/paste/id.php?ycal7fhovu3p

Happened twice during multiplayer, usually on load screens. All the info I could get without debug symbols.

What this game really need is the ability to break current action no matter what. Especially the connecting process to multilayer game. Twice today I stuck at this action and nothing could help me except process terminating. Would be really helpful if I could press ESC during the connection/loading process and drop it (exit to main menu).
Last edited by Kein on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thronlun

Postby Thronlun » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:27 am

Noticed another bug on most recent playthrough. Very random. 2 Goblins taken on the colour as if they had been hit with an ice arrow once, this did not slow their movement as normal, just a graphics bug. First time its happened in 4 playthroughs.

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 am

Heres me playing with some strangers (they come in later in the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAnioQVTSU0

Tere is a bug in the end of that video, we kill the snake but we all die at once, I perss return to last checkpoint and it shows the ending cutscene and exits to the menu.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:21 am

Ravenbar wrote:I can report that custom FXAA works in the beta. [...] Any news on CSAA support, Joel? nVidia claims it's very easy to allow, though I wouldn't know personally.

I don't really know what we're going to use but it will improve performance, so I'm guessing it's either FXAA or some variant. I'll find this out when the change goes live.

adenin0 wrote:I hope you manage to optimise the game ,so i can play this unic game at least at the same speed.

Ok, thanks. :) We will be able to improve the framerate at least a bit, and we can also use some adaptive resolution tricks, so let's see how this goes. This is not a high priority at the moment but I hope that around release time we should have all the optimizations included.

This was probably a glitch - the Achievement seems to work for some people at least...

Kein wrote:(subtitles) Hm... looks like the same issue with setting not being saved again. I enabled subs manually in the options file and now they do work as supposed to.

Ah, that makes sense. :)

Kein wrote:my first crash: http://www.everfall.com/paste/id.php?ycal7fhovu3p Happened twice during multiplayer, usually on load screens. All the info I could get without debug symbols.

I hope this is one of the crashes we have fixed in the update. Hopefully going live late tomorrow...

Kein wrote:What this game really need is the ability to break current action no matter what. Especially the connecting process to multilayer game. Twice today I stuck at this action and nothing could help me except process terminating. Would be really helpful if I could press ESC during the connection/loading process and drop it (exit to main menu).

I agree with the sentiment. I think we'll add this if it's not a major issue on the tech side (can't see why it would).

Thronlun wrote:Noticed another bug on most recent playthrough. Very random. 2 Goblins taken on the colour as if they had been hit with an ice arrow once, this did not slow their movement as normal, just a graphics bug. First time its happened in 4 playthroughs.

Sounds like a bug indeed. We'll keep an eye out for this one...

Raicuparta wrote:Heres me playing with some strangers (they come in later in the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAnioQVTSU0 Tere is a bug in the end of that video, we kill the snake but we all die at once, I perss return to last checkpoint and it shows the ending cutscene and exits to the menu.

Heh. Our cutscenes are a bit unstable in multiplayer so this may end up as something we won't fix. Thanks for reporting though, it is a bit annoying for sure...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:48 am

FB_Lauri wrote:All experience is collectable in single player, but some of the hardest secrets are made super-hard. Multiplayer or later-game skills can be used to ease solution, but it's not required. Please note that you can freely go back to previous levels with your current skills - the game just only saves to the latest played level so be sure to back-track in-between levels :). You can also turn single-player to multiplayer and vice versa, so you don't need to begin a new game to have your friend to assist you at some point.

That's good to hear. I recall returning to older levers in the original Trine and constructing bizarre, barely stable constructs out of six planks, six boxes and a floating platform. It's especially fun when they involve ways to make unstable platforms stable, though if the floating platform exists in Trine 2, I hope it isn't as likely to spit me overboard towards the background or foreground. In a game where I'm restricted to two-dimensional movement, having platform turn in the third dimension such that I have no control over it whatsoever is... Irritating.

Still, knowing that all vials are obtainable via solo play is comforting. I don't have friends who play Trine, and I'd rather not team with strangers. Thank you for reassuring me.

Return to “Trine 2”