Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Malidictus

Re: Trine 2 BETA Discussion Thread

Postby Malidictus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:17 am

sigma47 wrote:"Hammering last Boss"
The "Throw Hammer" ability seems overpowered at the snake boss. Just standing at entrance and throw your hammer at the destructible platforms solves the fight. Maybe you can make the plattforms only destrucitble by the boss (especially because "Throw Hammer" only costs 1 skillpoint).

I thought that was intentional, but I can see your point. I honestly managed to beat that boss so fast I didn't realise there was a "trick" to be had. It seemed so obvious that tossing the hammer was the solution that I never realised I might not have earned that skill. Yeah, upon reflection, having an option that's THAT much easier than everything else seems off.

sigma47 wrote:The following puzzles seems somewhat useless. With a tiny bit of timing you can just jump all over this one.

I didn't realise this was even intended to be a puzzle, seeing it instead as a jumping challenge. The drawbridge is so light that standing on the platform raises it almost instantly, yet as the platform descends to pull on the ropes, it drops too low to jump on the drawbridge. The best I could figure out is to stack boxes so I could climb to the platform and jump on the drawbridge quickly. Not really sure how it's supposed to be done, but I'm sure there's a better way.

sigma47 wrote:Levitate box aside, throw hammer at wooden platform, grapple box to climb up -> save yourself a puzzle to get that elevator down.

Even easier: Levitate the box up, let it fall back down and it breaks the boards on its own. At least that's how I did it, I think. But, yeah, I thought this was a puzzle to solve, not a place where you needed to press a button to proceed.

sigma47 wrote:"Bubbles Part 2"
If you rappidly jump on and off of bubbles the "wabbling" animation doens't start and it just switches to its static float animation (this happens after jumping off the bubble).

This is something I wanted to comment on, as well. When I first landed on a bubble and attempted to jump off immediately (but failed to make the distance), the bubble did not wobble and instead reacted like a glass ball. It took me a few tries to realise that it was supposed to be a bubble at all, and I still can't tell if it's intended to be a WATER bubble, or if it's an air-filled bubble made of a water film. More importantly, it needs its wobble animation to play every time.

---

As for a bit of feedback of my own, it was very jarring to realise that the characters now had names, when for the entirety of Trine, they were just "The Wizard," the "The Thief" and "The Knight." Now, granted, in the original Trine, they were your typical D&D party that met up by chance and were forced together by circumstance and were effectively nobodies, so it made sense they'd be nameless, whereas now they're famous heroes who've presumably known each other for some time (despite Trine's epilogue making it seem like they went their separate ways), so I guess giving them names was inevitable, but... It's still a bit jarring. Could there be at least a throwaway line of dialogue that explains how these once-nameless heroes are now house-hold names and songs are sung about them or some such? Because right now the narrative seems like it's trying to pretend they've always had these names, which in turn comes off more like a ret-con than a logical development, even though it really is the latter.

Also, are those the same voice actors? They sound a bit... Off, though that could be just my imagination. In either case, the actors are very good. I just hope they get more material to work with, as in the original Trine, their dialogue was largely inconsequential and mostly non-existent. And that's one of the bigger missed opportunities, I think. When the Wizard explains his theory on the Trine and, noticing his companions' disinterest, exclaims "This is interesting stuff!" ... That's the sort of thing which could really make the characters shine. "Save villagers or crush bones. Don't matter to me none!" I sincerely hope they get more dialogue this time, but I didn't really see much in the Beta so far, which concerns me.

Finally, there are the locations. I inferred that Level 1 was supposed to take place "in the kingdom" and level 2 was supposed to take place "elsewhere," but the only reason I was able to infer this was through character dialogue. Why? Because the "the kingdom" giant pumpkins and floating water bubbles sprawling underground caves and ancient forests. It's visually "weird," so when the characters travel from it to a place that is intended to be weird, it's hard to beat the supposedly "not weird" setting, and we're just left with the Knight and the Wizard marvelling at what looks like the place they left to begin with. Maybe I'm missing something about the plot due to not having the full picture, but having an adventure map like in the original would help greatly in showing me where they were and where they went. I really miss that feature.

Jumping is... Weird in Trine 2, more so than in the original Trine. And I think I know why: Momentum. I know the old Trine wasn't exactly Super Mario Brothers, but it always felt like I had some degree of control over my character's movement while in the air. In Trine 2, characters are subject to momentum to such an extent that there's relatively little control to be had once initial velocity is chosen. This became very evident to me when trying to have the Thief swing on top of a platform she's currently grappling. In the original Trine, I could simply break the line near peak swing and control her jump back towards the platform. Now if I do this, her pendulous swing spits her out in a tangential direction and AWAY from the platform, and so fast that it's impossible to compensate for. I eventually discovered that I could still do this if I simply disconnect the hook AFTER peak swing and just as she's starting to come down, as her little hop will put her above the platform and as she's relatively still while transitioning from upward to downward momentum, there's little interference to throw off my jump. That said, this complicates jumping puzzles since it hampers my controls over my character, and I don't consider this a good thing.

On the flip side, I AM glad that this new-found momentum makes the fat Knight and the clumsy Wizard harder to jump with, as in the original Trine, it seemed like everyone jumped the same height and distance, making the Thief no better at terrain traversing than her companions despite appearing to be very agile. That said, while I'm glad the Wizard and Knight are harder to jump with, I'm not glad that the Thief is harder to jump with, even if she's harder than in Trine by a lesser amount. And I'm still disappointed that the grappling hook "rope" is still a stiff rod that doesn't interact with terrain in any way, too. I'd have loved for her to use it to climb up and down things, not just using it to swing from things.

That's all I have for the moment.

Mercury

Some Multiplayer Questions

Postby Mercury » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:23 am

I just bought the game today and definitely enjoyed it. Really can't wait till the full game comes out.

I totally ignored single-player and just started by join random online games. I have a couple of questions/comments here:

1. How does the game keep track of xp and secret stuff when you join other people's games? After playing with a lot of other people I went back to single player, and I found there's no xp for me to collect anymore (except the super hidden ones I guess). So my guess is if I join someone's game and save after, I automatically get all the xp they've ever collected?

2. The chat system can be improved a little. As far as I know, the host can see the guests' chat, and the guests can only see the host's chat but not the other guest? If that is true please remove that limit in the full game... Also, the number of characters limit per line is a little too low. I always get cut off mid-sentence and have to split into multiple lines. And, is there a chat log somewhere that show you all the previous messages?

3. Please add an indicator of who's who. It can be in chat or pause screen or inventory or on top of character head or something. When I join a game, it always take a little while to figure out who's the knight and who's the thief, etc. It's not a huge issue, but having to ask every time is not really necessary.

4. Can we have little arrows pointing to friends' direction when they are out of my screen? Sometimes it's hard to keep track of where they went, especially when there's lag.

5. Is there going to be better Steam support with the full game? Add Friends, check people last played with, those kind of stuff.

6. There should be a return-to-lobby option somewhere in the game, at least for when you beat the level. Getting auto-kicked when I beat the game is kinda annoying, although I guess it'll be less of an issue with full version considering the number of levels. But still, I would like to have the chance to stick with the same group of people if I want to.

xpo777

Postby xpo777 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:53 am

What Achievements are you able to get at the Moment ? So far i've got: Surfboard Master, I Didn't Do It, Flying Solo, Hammer Havoc, Bouncy Bouncy, High Rise, Cirque de Zoya, This Wasn't the Plan.

Flying Solo is only possible in the Beta with the Mage. Both with the Thief and Warrior you cannot get past the giant Snail, no matter how hard you try :p

The following achievements are still missing in my collection: A Floral Feast, Icebreaker, Dirty Tactics, A Hail of Arrows, Trine 2 hard.

A Floral Feast is obviously not solveable in the beta. Dirty Tactics... i dunno, i guess the easiest way is to levitate enemies in front of enemy Archers but this is tricky in the beta. A Hail of Arrows crashes the game for me. And then there is Icebreaker! We've tried it several times and it just wont unlock. Are we doing something wrong ? Shoot 3 Enemies with a Frost Arrow fast and them smash them with the Knight, right ?

Mercury

Postby Mercury » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:00 am

xpo777 wrote:What Achievements are you able to get at the Moment ? So far i've got: Surfboard Master, I Didn't Do It, Flying Solo, Hammer Havoc, Bouncy Bouncy, High Rise, Cirque de Zoya, This Wasn't the Plan.

Flying Solo is only possible in the Beta with the Mage. Both with the Thief and Warrior you cannot get past the giant Snail, no matter how hard you try :p

The following achievements are still missing in my collection: A Floral Feast, Icebreaker, Dirty Tactics, A Hail of Arrows, Trine 2 hard.

A Floral Feast is obviously not solveable in the beta. Dirty Tactics... i dunno, i guess the easiest way is to levitate enemies in front of enemy Archers but this is tricky in the beta. A Hail of Arrows crashes the game for me. And then there is Icebreaker! We've tried it several times and it just wont unlock. Are we doing something wrong ? Shoot 3 Enemies with a Frost Arrow fast and them smash them with the Knight, right ?

I've heard of a guy soloing lv 2 with Warrior. Hint: you can manipulate water with your shield :P

Also, for Dirty Tactics, would it be easier to try to let the snake destroy the spawned goblins?

xpo777

Postby xpo777 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 am

Mercury wrote:I've heard of a guy soloing lv 2 with Warrior. Hint: you can manipulate water with your shield :P

Also, for Dirty Tactics, would it be easier to try to let the snake destroy the spawned goblins?

I've tried to reflect the Water with the Shield, this is how i've tried it: I've moved the small Box under the Trunk where the Water flows in, then i tried to "hammer" the other log over the small box so i've got a little Ramp and then reflect the Water from the Shield and it just doesn't work. Maybe the other guy was really clever or incredibly lucky... anyway i will try again for sport :)

Thank you for the Tipp on Dirty Tactics! It never occured to me that the Enemies respawn until the Snake dies! Will try it this evening with my buddies. Thanks again! :)

Evoxia

Postby Evoxia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Malidictus wrote:As for a bit of feedback of my own, it was very jarring to realise that the characters now had names, when for the entirety of Trine, they were just "The Wizard," the "The Thief" and "The Knight." Now, granted, in the original Trine, they were your typical D&D party that met up by chance and were forced together by circumstance and were effectively nobodies, so it made sense they'd be nameless, whereas now they're famous heroes who've presumably known each other for some time (despite Trine's epilogue making it seem like they went their separate ways), so I guess giving them names was inevitable, but... It's still a bit jarring. Could there be at least a throwaway line of dialogue that explains how these once-nameless heroes are now house-hold names and songs are sung about them or some such? Because right now the narrative seems like it's trying to pretend they've always had these names, which in turn comes off more like a ret-con than a logical development, even though it really is the latter.

Actually they had names in Trine 1. Its true that they didnt focus too much on their names but that doesnt change the fact that they had them.

Malidictus wrote:Also, are those the same voice actors? They sound a bit... Off, though that could be just my imagination. In either case, the actors are very good. I just hope they get more material to work with, as in the original Trine, their dialogue was largely inconsequential and mostly non-existent. And that's one of the bigger missed opportunities, I think. When the Wizard explains his theory on the Trine and, noticing his companions' disinterest, exclaims "This is interesting stuff!" ... That's the sort of thing which could really make the characters shine. "Save villagers or crush bones. Don't matter to me none!" I sincerely hope they get more dialogue this time, but I didn't really see much in the Beta so far, which concerns me.

Yes they are the same voice actors.

Malidictus wrote:Finally, there are the locations. I inferred that Level 1 was supposed to take place "in the kingdom" and level 2 was supposed to take place "elsewhere," but the only reason I was able to infer this was through character dialogue. Why? Because the "the kingdom" giant pumpkins and floating water bubbles sprawling underground caves and ancient forests. It's visually "weird," so when the characters travel from it to a place that is intended to be weird, it's hard to beat the supposedly "not weird" setting, and we're just left with the Knight and the Wizard marvelling at what looks like the place they left to begin with. Maybe I'm missing something about the plot due to not having the full picture, but having an adventure map like in the original would help greatly in showing me where they were and where they went. I really miss that feature.

The "story" goes like this.. Pontius is the first one to meet the Trine, then Amadeus and then Zoya. They are in different locations (maybe in different parts of the world?) but with Trine, they can move quite fast. I think they explain the problems you said above in the full game. As its supposed to be a mystery. Theres hints of dialogue in the tutorial level. Not gonna say where, you have to find out for yourself :)

Malidictus wrote:Jumping is... Weird in Trine 2, more so than in the original Trine. And I think I know why: Momentum. I know the old Trine wasn't exactly Super Mario Brothers, but it always felt like I had some degree of control over my character's movement while in the air. In Trine 2, characters are subject to momentum to such an extent that there's relatively little control to be had once initial velocity is chosen. This became very evident to me when trying to have the Thief swing on top of a platform she's currently grappling. In the original Trine, I could simply break the line near peak swing and control her jump back towards the platform. Now if I do this, her pendulous swing spits her out in a tangential direction and AWAY from the platform, and so fast that it's impossible to compensate for. I eventually discovered that I could still do this if I simply disconnect the hook AFTER peak swing and just as she's starting to come down, as her little hop will put her above the platform and as she's relatively still while transitioning from upward to downward momentum, there's little interference to throw off my jump. That said, this complicates jumping puzzles since it hampers my controls over my character, and I don't consider this a good thing.

Ive noticed this too but you have to understand that the whole game engine was made from scrap so some mechanics might have changed abit.

Malidictus wrote:On the flip side, I AM glad that this new-found momentum makes the fat Knight and the clumsy Wizard harder to jump with, as in the original Trine, it seemed like everyone jumped the same height and distance, making the Thief no better at terrain traversing than her companions despite appearing to be very agile. That said, while I'm glad the Wizard and Knight are harder to jump with, I'm not glad that the Thief is harder to jump with, even if she's harder than in Trine by a lesser amount. And I'm still disappointed that the grappling hook "rope" is still a stiff rod that doesn't interact with terrain in any way, too. I'd have loved for her to use it to climb up and down things, not just using it to swing from things.

That's all I have for the moment.

Dynamic rope would require alot of work tho... And making puzzles for each character to solve AND to take account the dynamic rope might be abit too much :/
It would be nice yes but i dont see it something that is vital or necessary.

DomiStyle

Postby DomiStyle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Evoxia wrote:As its supposed to be a mystery. Theres hints of dialogue in the tutorial level. Not gonna say where, you have to find out for yourself :)

Wait, there are more?
I only found one "somewhere" in the tutorial level of the Thief.

Evoxia

Postby Evoxia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

DomiStyle wrote:
Evoxia wrote:As its supposed to be a mystery. Theres hints of dialogue in the tutorial level. Not gonna say where, you have to find out for yourself :)

Wait, there are more?

I think we are talking about the same "somewhere" here :P

DomiStyle

Postby DomiStyle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Evoxia wrote:
DomiStyle wrote:

Wait, there are more?

I think we are talking about the same "somewhere" here :P

Ah, thought there are more you found. ;)

Kein

Postby Kein » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Malidictus wrote:
sigma47 wrote:"Bubbles Part 2"
If you rappidly jump on and off of bubbles the "wabbling" animation doens't start and it just switches to its static float animation (this happens after jumping off the bubble).

This is something I wanted to comment on, as well. When I first landed on a bubble and attempted to jump off immediately (but failed to make the distance), the bubble did not wobble and instead reacted like a glass ball. It took me a few tries to realise that it was supposed to be a bubble at all, and I still can't tell if it's intended to be a WATER bubble, or if it's an air-filled bubble made of a water film. More importantly, it needs its wobble animation to play every time.

You know you can move the bubbles with the box, right? It takes 5-6 seconds to "solve "this puzzle with one bubble and one box. You even don't need to kill any enemy.

Could there be at least a throwaway line of dialogue that explains how these once-nameless heroes are now house-hold names and songs are sung about them or some such? Because right now the narrative seems like it's trying to pretend they've always had these names, which in turn comes off more like a ret-con than a logical development, even though it really is the latter.

I failed to see issues here.

DomiStyle wrote:

Wait, there are more?

I already mentioned it on page 2.

xpo777 wrote:What Achievements are you able to get at the Moment ? So far i've got: Surfboard Master, I Didn't Do It, Flying Solo, Hammer Havoc, Bouncy Bouncy, High Rise, Cirque de Zoya, This Wasn't the Plan.

Trine 2 hard and A Floral Feast cannot be achieved. All others can be.

Zybex

Postby Zybex » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:01 pm

OK, I'm not so much into achievements, but I almost maxed out Trine 1 collecting 100% of experience vials.

In beta, in Level 2, I played "just for fun") a few times and then I tried to find as many vials as I can.

35/50...

not so good, is it? ;)

Questions (please don't answer too much :) ):
1. Is this counter showing the numbers combined with the tutorial level?
2. Can I find them all in the beta without any skill point? (I had 1 - and spent in levitation skill for Amadeus) ? I.e. triangular object created by Amadeus could really help in Trine 1 since it was attachable by Zoya's grappling hook.

While awaiting the answer I'll start "swinging madness". Maybe I'll reach something. :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Zybex wrote:Questions (please don't answer too much :) ):
1. Is this counter showing the numbers combined with the tutorial level?
2. Can I find them all in the beta without any skill point? (I had 1 - and spent in levitation skill for Amadeus) ? I.e. triangular object created by Amadeus could really help in Trine 1 since it was attachable by Zoya's grappling hook.

In the "Single player" menu you can see per-level and total experience progress. I think that's only one level and only level experience (monster experience is listed separately).

All beta experience should be collectible without a single skill point spent, but of course the more skills, and more players you have, the easier some secrets are. Most are just matter of finding them, though :)

(all XP are in plain sight, if you find where they are 8))

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 am

Was there an update to the beta? My Trine 2 seems to have redownloaded itself for some reason, and it was working fine.

DomiStyle

Postby DomiStyle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:30 am

Raicuparta wrote:Was there an update to the beta? My Trine 2 seems to have redownloaded itself for some reason, and it was working fine.

Yes, there was.

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:37 am

Well I'm curious about what changes there were.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:45 am

There's actually changelog in Steam news: http://store.steampowered.com/news/6671/ 8)

I'm sure Joel will also post to Steam forums once he has some time ... :)

Ravenbar

Postby Ravenbar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:17 am

Joel mentioned on the Steam forum that Tr2 uses deferred shading, which likely means no CSAA. But FXAA is working well for me at the moment. It's funny that you can just plop a custom driver that some dude made into the game directory and have it work. I've used it in Trine 1, Dead Space 1 and 2, and some other games.

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 am

The changelog doesn't show up on my Steam for some reason, just a blank page. But thanks for the link.

Kein

Postby Kein » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:23 am

Why can't I spent experience points as a guest during multiplayer game? This seems.. weird.

Regaez

Postby Regaez » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Pre-ordered without a moment's hesitation, and so far I have not regretted it. Fantastic game and I can't wait for the full version!

I was playing through local co-op with my friend and we noticed a glitch where our characters would not stop running in one direction. Running in the opposite direction would hold them in place, but as soon as you let go of the controls (happened on both keyboard + mouse and gamepad) the character would keep running. The only way we could stop moving was to change characters. Happened several times (to both of us) during our play-through of the beta, and for both directions.

Nothing more annoying than your character randomly running off into a pit of spikes and losing a bunch of health. :P

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:28 am

Kein wrote:
Malidictus wrote:This is something I wanted to comment on, as well. When I first landed on a bubble and attempted to jump off immediately (but failed to make the distance), the bubble did not wobble and instead reacted like a glass ball. It took me a few tries to realise that it was supposed to be a bubble at all, and I still can't tell if it's intended to be a WATER bubble, or if it's an air-filled bubble made of a water film. More importantly, it needs its wobble animation to play every time.

You know you can move the bubbles with the box, right? It takes 5-6 seconds to "solve "this puzzle with one bubble and one box. You even don't need to kill any enemy.

What you quoted has nothing to do with a puzzle. I was referring to the bubble's graphics and the way it animates (animation only, no physics) when stepped on.
Last edited by Malidictus on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spacedeck

Postby Spacedeck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 am

Me and my girlfriend have been trying out Trine 2 and for controls we are using me with the KB + mouse and she is using the Xbox 360 controller. One thing which becomes annoyings is sometimes our characters seem to have a mind of there own and runs in certain direction and the only way we can stop it is by swicthing to another character and then switching back.

Not sure if this part is a bug but I was at the end near the big fight. I was up on the ledge with the wizard. I drew a box and put it over his head which normally he would smash but when I was up on the ledge and levitating it over his head he just went straight through it.

And any chance of allowing us to change the video settings within game?

mgns

Postby mgns » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 pm

Hey there,

is the beta only available on Windows? When I try to launch it on my Mac steam client (Build Nov 1, API: v012) it only says "Trine 2 Beta is not available on your current platform". Is that really the case? :(

Edit: I already found the description in Steam saying it's a "PC beta". Sorry.
Last edited by mgns on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:25 am

hi i bought the game 4 days ago and played the first 2 levels in level 1 i have collected all 30 energy vials but in level 2 i,ve just found 129 from 130 and it's very sad :( does anyone who have collected all 130 vials can tell me which one of them is harder to find and reach?

Kein

Postby Kein » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:20 am

The Wizard wrote:hi i bought the game 4 days ago and played the first 2 levels in level 1 i have collected all 30 energy vials but in level 2 i,ve just found 129 from 130 and it's very sad :( does anyone who have collected all 130 vials can tell me which one of them is harder to find and reach?

You probably forgot the one hidden in the box right before a fire-breathing plant that put upside-down (the one before airflow pipes).

Return to “Trine 2”