Regarding Trine beta on Steam and following Linux version

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Flippeh

Regarding Trine beta on Steam and following Linux version

Postby Flippeh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 pm

I got Trine 1 via die Humble Bundle and thus got access to all the versions I wanted, which I liked a lot, but something tells me it won't be possible this time. :/

So for clarification, if I pre-order the the multiplayer beta on Steam, will I also be able to download the Linux version when it comes around, or will I have to purchase it again for my other installations (Windows being only one in multiple Linux setups, so definitely not my prefrerred environment)? If not, is that possible _after_ Trine 2 officially launches? Or is there no way I can buy one and get the other one for free?

I will probably just buy another copy for my Linux machine if not (let's be honest, 13€ is basically nothing for a game as good as Trine 2), but it'd be good to know beforehand. :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Regarding Trine beta on Steam and following Linux versio

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:16 am

Trine 2 will launch as a Steamworks game, and that means Windows + Mac. After launch we have some plans to bring out a DRM-free version but that remains to be seen.

We also have plans for the Linux version and of course that will not be a Steamworks game because Steam doesn't support Linux yet. Early 2012 might be possible for the Linux version.

There will be no official way to get the Linux version through Steam (we're not going to upload the Linux binaries to the Win/Mac builds, it's just not feasible in my opinion). You can always email us and see if we have some other solution though but those will always be special cases.

I hope this helps. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 am

If there's any easy option handing out a free Linux copy to anyone who owns Trine 2 already we will go for that. But like Joel said, it's likely that we'll do it manually (and are glad to do that, no problem with that!). But lets get the Linux version done first :D

snakebite

Postby snakebite » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Since Trine 1 is already on desura, do you have any plans to add Trine 2 to desura as well? That would make it easy for people to get their Linux versions once it's ready.

Otherwise I agree with Flippeh, I've already paid for Trine 1 both through Steam and the Humble Bundle.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Yeah, we'll use Desura again once we just get the Linux version done. :) (among other possible channels)

FrozenBug

Postby FrozenBug » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:38 am

Why do you want to wait until the Linux version with Desura? You could publish the Windows version there, so that we can buy it, play it on Windows and download the Linux version when you release it… that would be perfect.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:37 pm

FrozenBug wrote:Why do you want to wait until the Linux version with Desura? You could publish the Windows version there, so that we can buy it, play it on Windows and download the Linux version when you release it… that would be perfect.

Indeed, we need to think about that. But that would happen only when it's time for the DRM-free version, as we do our own matchmaking etc. for that.

Return to “Trine 2”