Skill points

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
mete0s

Skill points

Postby mete0s » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 am

First of let me start with i love you guys, i loved(and still do) Trine and i know im going to love Trine 2. I haven't preordered the game yet but very soon i will.I have watched some beta gameplay and i liked it alot:the graphics, the music, the effects...Everything was wonderfull!! But i saw that this time not everyone has their own skill points so im just asking is this only for the beta or it will be like this in the final version? Im not saying it's something bad but its going to be really wierd for me.In Trine everyone got their skills upgraded but i love zoya and i wont to focus her but i cant do that if they share the skill points,because you cant make it without the wizard.(The knight too but not as much as the wizard.)

P.S My English might not be very good so i'm sorry if i made any mistakes.

FB_Lauri

Re: Skill points

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:19 am

Thank you for the kind words!

The skill points are indeed "shared", but are made in a way that dumping all points to one character isn't the best option, as all have tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 skills, and the tiers costs 1, 2 and 3 skill points. So you get a lot more skills if you first upgrade lower cost skills to most of the characters.

In addition, we have tweaked Trine 2 character balance a lot, so now Zoya isn't the superior character (and we didn't remove anything from her, but added more fun to Amadeus/Pontius!).

I encourage to try out Amadeus in combat or Pontius with puzzle solving, especially in multiplayer! 8)

mete0s

Postby mete0s » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:28 am

Thank you for the quick reply.I wasn't going to spend everything on her but i wanted to know. I have just one more question do her normal arrows change to frost or does she have the normal and the frost?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 am

Normal arrows get the frost upgrade and the effect is applied once the bow is fully charged.

mete0s

Postby mete0s » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:41 am

Thank you very much again!

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Where are their names revealed? O_o

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:18 pm

NeatNit wrote:Where are their names revealed? O_o

Yeah I don't remember the names ever being mentioned in Trine 1, but in Trine 2 they are called by their names instead of "the wizard", "the thief" and "the knight". IMO, it would be much more interesting if the names were never mentioned at all, more misterious :P

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 pm

First Trine mentioned the protagonist's names only in the Skill/Inventory screen, but indeed Trine 2 is going more personal :)

Personally I think it's really good for the storytelling, but of course everyone has his/her own preferences over that.

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:19 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:Personally I think it's really good for the storytelling, but of course everyone has his/her own preferences over that.

Yeah I can understand that. I just have that opinion because I like how the artist as to find a way around when there are no names.

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:50 pm

The names were there in Trine, though, they were just less obvious.

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:31 pm

I remember people were saying the Thief was the best character in the original Trine and disagreeing with them, but replaying the game now... Yeah, she kind of is. A fully-charged three-arrow shot is enough to put down most things about as fast as they come and her grappling hook makes her great for puzzles. I'm glad to see this is being balanced out.

And, yes, I preferred the characters when they weren't revealed by name. Of course, this makes conversations between them tricky, but if still felt more like a fairy tale when they were nameless. And to this day, I never noticed that the characters had their names in the inventory screen in the original Trine. Wow...

Kein

Postby Kein » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:17 am

Unfortunately, Wizard now is the "best" character with his monstrous abilities.
You late again to the party :3

mete0s

Postby mete0s » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 am

I think the characters are still the same.The wizard is the best at puzzles and his levitating enemies skill doesn't make him so usefull in combat.The knight is still the best in combat but he got better at puzzles too.And zoya is still that semi character but now she has a useless skill(stealth).
I kind of think we are complaining too much and a lot of the things are stupid : names and how the checkpoints look(in another thread).We should be thankfull that frozenbyte has created the most beautiful game.

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:10 pm

mete0s wrote:I kind of think we are complaining too much and a lot of the things are stupid : names and how the checkpoints look(in another thread).We should be thankfull that frozenbyte has created the most beautiful game.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll keep in mind that my feedback was "stupid" for the future.

It's a Beta. The point of a Beta is to test and give feedback. We'll be thankful for the game when it's officially released and completed. The developers have so far demonstrated that they appreciate feedback, whether or not they act on it, so until the game ships, I intend to continue giving my stupid feedback, because that's HOW you make a great game, and that's HOW you run a Beta. I get that many people consider the Beta a reward and an early sneak-peak, but proper Beta testing is not just about having fun. It's about actually testing the system, finding its faults and suggesting solutions.

mete0s

Postby mete0s » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Malidictus wrote:
mete0s wrote:I kind of think we are complaining too much and a lot of the things are stupid : names and how the checkpoints look(in another thread).We should be thankfull that frozenbyte has created the most beautiful game.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll keep in mind that my feedback was "stupid" for the future.

It's a Beta. The point of a Beta is to test and give feedback. We'll be thankful for the game when it's officially released and completed. The developers have so far demonstrated that they appreciate feedback, whether or not they act on it, so until the game ships, I intend to continue giving my stupid feedback, because that's HOW you make a great game, and that's HOW you run a Beta. I get that many people consider the Beta a reward and an early sneak-peak, but proper Beta testing is not just about having fun. It's about actually testing the system, finding its faults and suggesting solutions.

You are right.I wasn't clear.Suggest bug fixes(like the fact that the grapple line stays for about a sec after it has been released) and stuff that will improve the game.But don't rage and don't complain about stupid stuff like names.Other than that i agree with you.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:03 am

With beta what we are most looking is to nail down all bugs and other misfeatures, but of course some balancing issues and such will be also addressed.

I agree Thief being most powerful character for soloing in Trine 1, and I think we have pretty much managed to balance the set in Trine 1 - namely adding more combat possibilities for the Wizard and more puzzle solving possibilities for the Knight. But they are still ment to be very different characters for both play style and purposes.

The new skill tree however supports customizing of one or two characters to be superior, but of course the more you focus on one character the more it costs skill points. I'd like to encourage people to try new things :). Also different multiplayer settings require different kind of thinking.

Return to “Trine 2”